1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The summer clearout - whose departure will being a tear to your eye?

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by dempsey's revenge, May 6, 2011.

1. dempsey's revenge

dempsey's revenge Active Member

It seems Pantsil, Greening and Gera are likely to leave. We might also see Andy Johnson depart as he's been linked in a deal with Hodgeson and WBA. I think Salcido's contract us up, too. I'm sure there will be others.

So who would you guys miss the most? Whose exit will tug on your heart strings?

2. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Apart from the obvious candidates of Gera and Pantsil, if Riise leaves I shall watch what he does elsewhere with interest. I always thought that he had something about him and could have made something of himself here if he had been given the chance. He was one of the best crossers we had in the squad, but was playing at a time when width wasn't what the manager looked for our wide men to provide. Dikgacoi is another who could leave in the summer who I don't think ever got the chance to show what he could do for us.

If we sell either of our keepers this summer, I'll be very sad to see them go. If we have to choose, I hope we go with Stockdale and let Schwarzer go, even if he has been the best keeper I can remember playing for Fulham. Stockdale is the future and we'd be mad to lose him for a 38 (or whatever age MS is) year-old.

3. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

4. rocky57

rocky57 Member

"Schwarzer has been the best keeper I can remember playing for Fulham". Blimey, Commodore. Don't you remember Van der?

Of course it'll be sad to see players like Gera & JP go, they've been great players for us, and it's always a shame some never had a fair crack. However it'd be more worrying if the club was standing still, especially with a manager who has had a year to assess things and may even have a European competition to consider.

5. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

Gera and JP aside, I agree with Captain on Riise. He always seemed like he needed a bit more of a chance.

6. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Aha - a debate!

Yes, Rocky, I remember Van der Sar (whatever happened to him - another example of someone who left us for a smaller club, perhaps?). Maybe I'm suffering from being a fan-at-a-distance, but I don't think he was as good a keeper for Fulham as Schwarzer. I sometimes got the impression with VderS that his heart wasn't really in it. He was sold the idea of us becoming the Man Utd of the south, then ambition got pared back to surviving in the Premier League. It sometimes seemed to me that when a game was getting away from us, he was less bothered. By contrast, I think Schwarzer has been consistently committed on the pitch, despite speculation that last summer's aborted move to Arsenal might impact on his performance.

Which goalkeeper has had the better career and deserves the bigger global reputation? Van der Sar
    Which goalkeeper has been the better keeper for Fulham? For me it's Schwarzer.

7. Gillyffc

Gillyffc Member

Won't miss AJ if he does go, he has done very little for us due to injury, and it was a pretty disastrous ten million signing.
    Gera will leave a few tears, i was always a huge fan, aspecially of his Europa League performances. Always thought he deserved better under Hughes. Riise was a player who i thought was underused. I have not seen much of him, but remember the europa League game against Roma where he ran rings around his brother all night long.

8. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

It would be a shame to see Gera and Pantsil leave as they have become part of the folklore of Fulham FC but managers changed and then so do the players.
    Both Riise and Dikgacoi have potential but have not taken their chances. Basel away was Riises high point with those crosses, if only he could do it more often.

For me VDS is just ahead of Schwarzer in the ability to win us games. I feel his time in goal for Fulham stabilised us as a Premier League team.
    It has been a failure of Wenger not to offer the asking price for both these keepers that has led to Arsenal failing in the league title race.

9. rocky57

rocky57 Member

I agree with SBM that Van der won us a number of games and was such a commanding figure in what was a worse defence in his time. For me, I'm surprised there's even a contest here, I like Schwarzer a great deal and what a free transfer, but Van der Sar was the better by a margin. Not even room for a Harry Hill type fight.

10. RobespierreFFC

Largely agree with the masses, gera and pantsill going will be a crying shame. I still think gera could really offer something on the pitch now as well the great memories he gives us, though clearly sparky doesn't agree and he's too good to be a player not even making the bench. The likes of riise, dikgacoi and greening won't remotely bother me if they go. Throw in AJ and Halliche as well for that matter. As for pantsill, I will miss his laps of honour and character, but certainly not the own goals which have cast a shadow over his final season with us.

11. GeraScores

GeraScores Well-Known Member

Obviously, I am disappointed that my man is going - My tribute post will follow this weekend.

JP had too many lapses, but I'll miss him anyway. Not too bothered about the others mentions. However, I still like AJ and think that a partnership with Bobby Zamora could work.

12. Fulhaman

Fulhaman Well-Known Member

Will miss JP and the laps of honour. Apart from him and Gera I won't be too upset if any of the touted names disappear. Although I do think Riise could do a job if he was given a bigger role, but then I don't see him training every day and the manager does.

13. dempsey's revenge

dempsey's revenge Active Member

For me, Pantsil's the guy I'll miss most. He seemed to display the most emotion (sometimes too much) while playing. Plus he clearly went out of his way to appeal the fans. And to think I didn't even like him at first. Ball watching and other mistakes those first few games put me off, but eventually he became my favorite along with Etuhu and Dempsey. Gera though, what a performance last year. It a shame he's been basically locked out of the squad.

Schwartzer versus Van Der Sar ... I have ill feelings about the Van Der Sar era. Our defense was porous, plus he left us. Schwartzer's been here during the best of times - plus he's got a nice smile. He actually seems to enjoy the game while Van Der Sar always looks like a worried cage bird. My preference is for Schwartzer.

14. valjing

valjing Member

No need for me to say who I want to depart.

15. AmDFFC

AmDFFC New Member

Will miss JP! Tbh, we do need a good squad so would be nice to see him stay but im guessing that wont happen. Sad to see Gera go too. Probably see both in the Premierleague though?

16. Cottagecravens

I will miss my mate Jon Greening, running like a gazelle to score at pace against Peterboro. Quality.

17. GeraScores

GeraScores Well-Known Member

On VDS v MarkS, I err towards the former.
    Thinking back there were times that our defence included Edwin almost playing a sweeper role! We take our current centre-backs for granted.
    Still, I'm really pleased Mark has stayed with us
    COYW

18. FulhamIreland

FulhamIreland Well-Known Member

I feel bad getting rid of any of the players that got us to that memorable game in Hamburg but if we had to get rid of some players I wouldn't mind seeing the back of Riise, Greening, Dikgacoi, Johnson (Andy and Eddy) and Kamara. It'll be sad seeing Gera and Pantsil go as they have become fan favorites here. We do need to get rid of some of the older players though and bring in some young fresh faces.

19. Gillyffc

Gillyffc Member

Cant stand greening- seeng his name on the team sheet it bad enough. Dikgacoi could go- hes pretty much a worse Etuhu. I would be sad to see Riise off- i always thought he had so much potential, but it just never really happened with him. Gera of course will be a miss