1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Sevilla Thread

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Cottager58, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

Whew! Goal snitched 10 minutes from the end gets a 1-0 win over Las Palmas out in Gran Canaria.

Did you go for some sun Fulhaman?

2. Fulhaman

Fulhaman Well-Known Member

No, I didn't, but it is getting up to 20 or 21 degrees some days here now, mostly cloud and sun, not laying on a beach type weather, though. Las Palmas haven't been on the best of form lately - won 1 of their last 5 I think, so we played them at a good time and last time out they lost to our near neighbours Granada - must be sick of the sight of Andalusian teams.

What we are all waiting for here is the game on Wednesday week against Leicester. With the form they are in I honestly can't see them getting one over us - having said that, they'll probably put 6 past us.

3. Cottager58

Plenty of chances in tonight's late kick off but none taken by Eibar's Sergi Enrich. Sevilla looked well in after going 1-0 after half an hour but the points weren't safe until another in injury time sealed it 2-0. Looking good for that Champs League game at the Ramón Sánchez-Pizjuán on Wednesday against troubled Leicester.

How did our nearly man Enrich play Fulhaman? He appears to have been a real roll since we messed up.

4. Fulhaman

He had a quiet game. In fact, his oppo Peña was the livelier of the two and had the better chances. He had a good header saved just after half time, though, and he won quite a few free kicks around the box with his jinking about and running at the defence. He would definitely have been a class above at Fulham.

Interesting fact ahead of the Champions League game. Jock Wallace managed Leicester City Football Club between 1978 and 1982 before taking over as Sevilla boss for the 1986/87 season, where he led Los Nervionenses to a 9th place league finish.

5. Cottager58

Oh my, Jock Wallace the holy terror from Ibrox. Bet Fab has some stories. The one I've heard is he ordered Glasgow Rangers players up sand dunes then sprayed them with cold water from a hose pipe - almost as bad as Mad Magath!

Reckon he only joined you at Sevilla because Betis wear green and white hoops.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  6. Cottager58

Only seen the highlights Fulhaman but the cushion going into the second leg ought to have been higher. Sevilla 2 Leicester 1. Could make life tricky.

7. 2whitestripes

2whitestripes Well-Known Member

Mrs 2 (LCFC maniac) and I will be at the 2nd leg, supporting LCFC, should be more interesting than anticipated at 7:45pm last eve.

8. Cottager58

Had completely forgotten your LCFC connection 2Whites. The supporter in the family must be well chuffed after the state of Leicester in the first half. You should get her and Fulhaman in the ring here before the return game on 14th March.

PS What's the reason for Leicester changing their ground name for this game?

9. Fulhaman

Not only Mrs LCFC who was undoubtably chuffed. My daughter-in-law is an LCFC supporter (although she comes from and lives in Oxfordshire they were her Dad's team) and she was thrilled by last nights result. The next few phone calls might be painful.

To be honest, I thought we were so much better than Leicester in the first half that it was going to be a walkover. I think we could quite easily have been 4 - 0 up at half time if it hadn't been for Schmeichel and should have extended our lead from the penalty (terribly taken, I have to say). Second half Leicester came alive and their goal was from a lovely cross and very well taken by Vardy, who I understand hasn't scored for a couple of months. Typical he should break his duck against us.

The return leg should be interesting - the away goal is crucial and if we can score it, then Leicester will have a mountain to climb. Can see it being a tight affair.

10. Cottager58

Scrub all that. Just read that they've sacked Claudio Ranieri. Crazy!

11. 2whitestripes

As Mrs 2Whites is more popular than myself and she has all the answers LCFC, I've requested she makes a guest appearance. This won't happen until she has sorted the Ranieri situation first (could be their next manager!!!).
    I'll be over here :emoticon-0108-speec

Cottager58 likes this.
  12. Foxy in Foyle

Foxy in Foyle Well-Known Member

Morning Gentlemen, I'll do the simple stadium question first. The King Power Stadium has to be renamed for Champions League games as King Power are a brand but not an official UEFA sponsor. All King Power branding in the stadium has to be removed. (UEFA send an 182 page document with rules covering width of pitch stripes & size of your mascot!)

Sevilla were much better in the first half and I was fully anticipating being 4-0 down at half time. The penalty miss and Schmeichel's outstanding saves kept us in the match. The lad taking the penalty has obviously been watching Chris Martin!
    The 2nd half is the only time we've looked lively since we beat Man City on 10th December, the last time Vardy scored.
    With the away goal I was hopeful of an interesting second leg too. We are unexpectedly still in the tie and with it all to play for. A good performace and winning was a possibility.

Although it does seem crazy we've sacked Raneri, after giving us the greatest most unexpected year of our lives, performances have been terrible, often worse than Wednesdays first half, as well as results this season. The team spirit, hard work, solid defending and pacy counter attacking have evaporated. None of us expected to repeat last season but after promotion the plan was to build to become a solid established Prem team as Fulham did, but we have regressed significantly. It's very sad it's ended this way.

Something is very wrong, and although I normally advise Mr 2whitestripes I have all the right answers, I sadly don't on this occasion.

Needless to say optimism for the 2nd leg has reduced.....

Incidentally, all of my friends who travelled to Sevilla loved the city and met lots of lovely Sevilla fans.

13. 2whitestripes

I thought it best to like Mrs 2's comments, you know what it's like if you don't..........................................ouch..........................oops <sorry>

Cottager58 likes this.
  14. Fulhaman

This is because we are all lovely - most of the time (Betis, and to a lesser extent Malaga and Granada, excepted).

And if I let the señora anywhere near this board I'd probably get banned - no one can rage and curse like the daughter of a Spanish taxi driver when occasion demands.

15. Cottager58

Back to the bread and butter stuff, well no actually this was v Betis - El Gran Derbi. And the senora is dancing tonight as Sevilla find a second half come back to win 2-1.

16. Fulhaman

Never in doubt. Give them hope, then snatch it away. All part of the fun. Much joy in casa Fulhaman tonight. Una tarde feliz gracias a Dios

Cottager58 likes this.
  17. Cottager58

Yaaahhh ! Why can't people score penalties !! Fortunately Vicente Iborra can do a Reading and in his 200th top flight game his goal from the rebound is enough to see off Bilbao 1-0 last night. Guess two positives were the clean sheet and Walter Montoya coming on for his debut.

18. Fulhaman

Couldn't go last night so I only read the report. Penalties, eh? Bloody Hell, if only someone in the teams I support could actually get them between the posts and avoid the keeper then life might be a bit less stressful. I think Montoya came on with about 10 mins left so didn't get a ranking in the paper I read. Hopefully he can become a firm favourite down Nervion way.

19. Cottager58

Hope the game you were at wasn't the scrappy 1-1 against Leganes Fulhaman. Were Sevilla looking over their shoulder at next Tuesday's game v Leicester or ... was it just too hot (the game being in the middle of the afternoon heat) ?

20. Fulhaman

It was hot in the stadium. About 26 degrees generally. Yep. Not a good game at all. Hadn't actually made it to my seat when they scored and we scored just before half time - that was it as far as the football in front of me was concerned. Just concentrating on the Fulham match via my mobile after that and getting some very odd looks at my fist pumps and yelps when our third went in.

Cravingawin and Cottager58 like this.