1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The secret behind his smile

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by Old Timer in Cyprus, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Old Timer in Cyprus

Old Timer in Cyprus Active Member

Yesterday I was casually reading a post on another forum where a Gills fan was being critical about Ade's poor interview technique.He mentioned how he often repeated "but....um....obviously" on camera. (Incidentally, who remembers how Hessie Snr used to punctuate his early radio interviews with a long sniff at the end of each sentence?) Anyhow, the poster thoight that Ade came across as a bit odd when he interspersed his comments with ' strange smiles out of the blue' On reflection it made me wonder does he know something that we don't? or is it simply that he has finally cracked up under all the recent pressure?

grumpygit likes this.
  2. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

A nervous smile is quite common for people outside their comfort zone, he never came as a TV superstar.
    The same can be said over criticism of his management, he came here as a coach not a manager.
    Now if you want to criticise his coaching that is a valid area to discuss, I might still argue the point (because I'm a grumpy git) but your point would at least be valid even if wrong.

3. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

I've read the post of OTiC - twice - I can't find any criticism of AP's managerial or coaching skills - just his limitations in public interviews - which, from grumpygit's own comments, he agrees with OT iC on this point.
    Probably the worst 'speaker' we've had is Paul "you know what I mean" Smith. His interviews would include dozens ( yes-dozens ) of the interjection.