1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Sacked Manager Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by MelburnIAN, Mar 16, 2017.

1. MelburnIAN

MelburnIAN Well-Known Member

Assuming that QPR won't feature in this thread for a while (hopefully), thought this would work like the 'successful' RIP thread.

Kick if off with Aitor Karankar being released by Boro. Interesting read of his stats while at the club. This season they are top 6 defence, rock bottom attack. Will be joining us in Championship next season unless they bring in a turnaround manager.

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/39291081

2. Hoops Eternal

Hoops Eternal Well-Known Member

He has gone and come back once before, so who knows.

3. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

If this thread was started a week ago, it would already have half a dozen sacked managers on it................. just saying.

kiwiqpr and Wherever like this.
  4. Loveitupthebush

Loveitupthebush Well-Known Member

One of my Managers lost his job today as well, under performing, walked away with diddly squat.

5. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

At one of my former companies an old wag told me that the collective term for management was a "lack".

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  6. MelburnIAN

MelburnIAN Well-Known Member

That was why I thought I start this one, saves one thread per manager

Didley Squat likes this.
  7. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Apparently there's a very good piece on the guardian website, unable to link as typing on tablet, about Karanka....he was a total control freak and wouldn't allow the players to change any part of his game plan on the hoof....even when losing they had to stick rigidly to the plan.......hence they've only scored 19 goals all season.......he had an 80 page dossier on all their opponents.....and he fell out with anyone who questioned the master plan.....

QPR999 likes this.
  8. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

He sounds completely bonkers! Here's the article you mentioned ... https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-middlesbrough-sacked-tactics-clashes-players

9. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

He's absolutely karankas...<doh>

Uber_Hoop and Wherever like this.
  10. seagullhoop

seagullhoop Well-Known Member

That is brilliant!

Uber_Hoop likes this.

11. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

He walked in the end, rather than being sacked - Brum management totally screwed up with this ill fated managerial change.

Gianfranco Zola: Birmingham City manager resigns after four months

Gianfranco Zola has resigned as Birmingham City manager following Monday's home defeat by fellow Championship strugglers Burton Albion.

The 50-year-old Italian was in charge for just four months, during which time the team won only twice in 24 games.

Their 2-0 loss to Burton left them 20th in the Championship table, just three points above the relegation places with three games remaining.

"I sacked myself. I decided to give in my resignation," said Zola.

"I am sorry because I came to Birmingham with huge expectations. Unfortunately, the results have not been good and I take full responsibility.

"It is not that I like quitting, but Birmingham deserves better. If I feel I cannot help the players, why stay? If I cannot help the team, it is better I leave and let someone else do that.

"I feel very bad and very sorry. We worked with a lot of meaning, but unfortunately it didn't produce the results. It is all very disappointing."

The swapping of Rowett for Zola

please log in to view this image

Gianfranco Zola's Birmingham City lost five of his final six home games in charge, including the 2-1 defeat by his Blues predecessor Gary Rowett's Derby County.

When predecessor Gary Rowett was sacked in December, Blues were seventh and only out of the play-off places only on goal difference.

Club director Panos Pavlakis explained their decision to dispense with Rowett, now in charge at Derby County, by saying that Zola's "pedigree" matched their ambition to "move in a new direction".

But the change of manager baffled many supporters - and results on the pitch have done nothing to win them over.

Chinese-owned Birmingham issued a statement on 10 April giving Zola their full backing following a 2-1 defeat by Rowett's Rams.

But the loss to Burton, another of Rowett's old clubs, leaves Blues without a win in nine games since beating local rivals Wolves at Molineux in February - and Blues have picked up just 16 points out of a possible 66 in Zola's time in charge.

Blues' next game is at local rivals Aston Villa on Sunday (12:00 BST).

If 22nd-placed Blackburn, who are at Wolves, and 21st-placed Nottingham Forest, who are at home to Reading, were both to win their respective games on Saturday, Blues would start the game at Villa Park in the bottom three.

It is the second time former Chelsea and Italy striker Zola has resigned as manager of an English club, having quit Watford in 2013 after five successive home defeats. He also spent two years in charge of West Ham United.

please log in to view this image

Gianfranco Zola was previously manager of West Ham, Watford and Cagliari

Analysis
    BBC WM's Richard Wilford

"Gianfranco Zola's ill-fated tenure at St Andrew's arguably could have been cut short sooner than it was. By his own admission, he felt he could not help the players any more.

"In a dignified media conference after his resignation had been announced, Zola noted that he had felt pressure from the very outset, given the success the club had under his predecessor Gary Rowett.

"Results are king in football, and two wins in 22 league games was unacceptable. Zola may have lacked fortune while he was in charge at Blues, but not so much as to justify such a paltry return.

"The Easter performances against Rotherham and Burton were limp, listless and damning. Birmingham's flirtation with relegation is very real indeed."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39624187

12. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

Is Zola a man of integrity or a coward? Could argue that he's a bit of both but at this stage in the season, more coward I think.

13. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

Or just a **** manager.

14. IwasanotherwatfordR

IwasanotherwatfordR Well-Known Member

One of my favourite phrases which I would dearly like to lay claim to, was at a speech made by a mate of mine at one of his office staff's leaving do's... he said "Terry left work here in the same manner in which he started, fired with enthusiasm".

Uber_Hoop and Rangers Til I Die like this.