1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The return of Brownie's naughty step

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Feb 17, 2011.

1. MingofHarlem

MingofHarlem Active Member

OLM,

As the Moderator of this site didn't you state that you did not think that overtly political and religious threads were acceptable? Accepting that this started off with a tenuous link to Hull City (through an ex players apparent political affiliations) should we not be modding the mod now that it has degenerated into something else - with your apparent approval?

2. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Borderline.

The article itself is not political or religious in any way.

The fact that it evolved into a debate on whether or not one of our ex-players is a bit racist, has got slightly political, but it hasn't degenerated into the 'get rid of the Muslims' stuff that I had in mind(having seen it on other City forums), when I said we should avoid overtly political or religious articles.

Just for the record, I have once against asked Mick to appoint a second moderator on this board(as we originally requested), so that it's not just my opinion that's used to gauge things on here.

3. NewarkTiger

NewarkTiger Member

To be fair, the thread may have turned away from football but it's been a reasonable debate, not decended into anything offensive.

4. TigerFace

TigerFace Member

There a fine line between talking about ex racist/ non racist players and an all out race war.

At the moment this topic is on the right side of that line :police:

5. Tigga777

Tigga777 Member

The naughty step never left Hull, Lambrini, judging by Pearson's attitude and behaviour towards players of the previous regime!

6. thetigers1

thetigers1 Member

W brown............ voted.... e.d.l ..not b.n.p............now we like that

7. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Pearson's only really had a Jimmy step.

8. MingofHarlem

OLM, B_L & MM,

I disagree.

It is an overtly political and religious article. You did not breakdown what, in your opinion, constituted an "acceptable" debate on either of thse 2 topics.

Some of the articles on Egypt were not offensive but were viewed as being too political. There is a disconnect here which should be highlighted.

OLM

You have yourself developed the thread by talking about your Grandad and the "Fuzzy-wuzzies" - this is not a term of endearment and I dare say to those to which it was directed it could be construed as racism.

Consistency should be maintained here, or else we run the risk of "certain" people being allowed to post whatever they like.

9. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Firstly, I didn't pull any article about Egypt, so there's no double standards here(I only suspended one article while we agreed what was going to be allowed, then it was immediately re-instated).

Secondly, the 'Fuzzy-Wuzzie' comment was with relation to a discussion about Dad's Army, a programme in which it was used as a catchphrase. For those not familiar with this piece of classic British situation comedy - The humour ranged from the subtle (especially in the class-reversed relationship between Mainwaring and Wilson, who also happened to be his deputy at the bank) to the slapstick (the antics of the elderly Jones being a prime example). Jones had several catchphrases, including "Don't panic!", "They don’t like it up ’em", "Permission to speak, sir", and talk about "the Fuzzy-Wuzzies"(thanks wiki).

I have explained my decision, I have done my best to be fair with everyone and to always explain my decisions and I've barely deleted anything, as I always said was my intention.

10. MingofHarlem

OLM,

I did not say that the Egypt posts were "pulled". I was merely pointing out that the forum poll occurred shortly after this point and that it was intimated, at the time, that people did not want to discuss such topics on this forum. To my mind, this thread is no different.

The point about Dads Army is a fair one but the word was taken out of that context because you explained that your Granddad used it before going on to say that he refused to speak to your brother in law because he went to work for Nissan. Plainly this has a perceived racial connotation however you wish to dress it up.

As a moderator you have certain responsibilities. I suggest that you moderate impartially and consistently - that is all.

11. wotnoash

wotnoash Member

Perhaps Wayne is just naive after all he believed Brownie that as last man he could cope with Valencia's pace against Wigan!

12. x

x Well-Known Member

so when brown was shipped out to pne i assume the leicester boss was called nigel?

13. ImperialTiger

ImperialTiger Well-Known Member

Southall? Wembley?

14. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Good guess, it's in North Wembley.

15. djblackandamberarmy(No 4)

wayne brown was as fast as a tortise 3 years ago, i dread to think how slow he is now..

16. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

If the fact that I stated my Grandfather was the living embodiment of Jones from Dad's Army makes me a racist, then I'm afraid I'm guilty as charged.

I stated the way I would moderate on here and I have consistently moderated in that manner, I will continue to do so.

17. Dean24

Dean24 Member

I suppose everyone is entitled to an opinion, Mine is that the Labour Party are racist, They sent our army into Iraq to kill Muslims using a pack of lies for an excuse, I think that's a little scarier than anything the BNP have done.

18. TigerFace

TigerFace Member

Just gonna knock it up a notch, bam!

19. MingofHarlem

OLM,

The point re your Granddad was not that he was, or was not, the walking embodiment of Jonsey but that he didn't like "Fuzzy Wuzzies" and didn't like Nissan. This partular point has now been done to death don't you think?

We have a saying in the military: with rank comes responsibility.

As the moderator you cannot be inconsistent. You must lead from the front with integrity being your sword and courage your shield. You will not please everybody but why should that bother you?

20. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

Lol, you make it sound more like he's William Wallace about to lead his army to war than OLM the moderator about to delete a post. What does he need bloody courage for? Are we going to be declaring internet warfare?

And this thread is neither political or racist. It's a guy getting corrected because he mis-guidedly believes that voting for BNP makes you a racist, when it doesn't, not everyone voicing their opinions on politics and who should be PM or any of that bollocks. Think you need to ease up a bit mate..