1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

THE RESULTS... Neither strong nor stable

Discussion in 'Watford' started by yorkshirehornet, Jun 8, 2017.

1. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

I think I used the wrong terminology with sovereignty, what I meant was I want the laws that i have to abide by to be passed by MY country's parliament, not some foreign people who I have no chance to vote for or against and I repeat, I would vote leave again! <ok>

2. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think if you look Dave you will find that many of the laws you have to abide by were actually proposed to the EU by the UK. They were then taken back to Westminster and approved. The figures suggest that 95% of proposed laws were supported by the UK. Unless you choose not to you do have the right to vote for your MEP. In many ways the EU is far more democratic than the UK, although that would be disputed by some.

Hornet-Fez likes this.
  3. canary-dave

OFH, I have lived down here in Weston for 17 years, I'm registered to vote and I have voted in every election, both parliament and council, but I've never been offered the chance to vote for my MEP, not sure why?

4. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

That is really odd. I have a vote in both the UK and France for MEPs. which is just as odd. Think you need to get on the case.:emoticon-0100-smile

5. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Dave you dirty Brexiter..I will never talk to you again ;-)

6. canary-dave

I'll have you know I have a bath every six months whether I need it or not! <steam> <laugh>

Hornet-Fez likes this.
  7. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

Interesting observation on "The Last Leg" on Channel 4 last night - 9 out of the 10 poorest areas in Northern Europe are in the UK. The bizarre thing is that the MPs for those areas are all Conservative.

8. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Maybe not so bizarre when you consider the sense of hopelessness and disaffection with politics that most likely pervades such constituencies - and this from Channel 4. The Tories appear to have broken the rules in exhorting their supporters to get out and vote on the day.

https://www.channel4.com/news/revealed-inside-the-secretive-tory-election-call-centre

9. Bolton's Boots

But surely you have to first be sure that those laws are actually being passed by your country's parliament - the ones that you have the chance to vote for.

This suggests that that may not always be the case - failed Tory candidate at the recent election, Ian Duncan, is simply handed a peerage and a seat in the Cabinet - http://www.thenational.scot/politic...nto_Government_via_the_House_of_Lords/?ref=eb

I'd far rather have the EU version of democracy than a system that allows this. <grr>

Hornet-Fez and canary-dave like this.
  10. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Just for information Dave.

http://www.bbc.com/news/politics/eu-regions/E15000009

canary-dave likes this.

11. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

If you are a nurse watching your earnings being eroded there is no "magic money tree". If you are a DUP politician then said tree is found and will pay you £100M if you support the PM with your vote. Looks as if the SatNav has now been updated with money trees included.

12. Bolton's Boots

And in case anyone objects, they're all off on a three month holiday - or possibly a three month 'cooling off' period?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...hree-months-house-commons-lords-a7807901.html