1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Promotion Race (Updated after Ipswich)

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by RiverEndRick, Feb 6, 2017.

1. royalbarclayfan

royalbarclayfan Well-Known Member

Yes, it might very easily be, but he´s more busy in the ballroom than the boardroom. :) :emoticon-0169-dance:)

JM Fan likes this.
  2. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

I don't view RBF's posts as antagonistic, just his opinion. I replied calmly and collectively and presented my counter arguments to those of his I disagreed with.
    Of course your post on the other hand is plainly antagonistic, "people of RBF's and my age group are not given to knee-jerk reactions!" Infering anyone not of your opinion or age perhaps is?
    You olduns are all so; staid, twee and unambitious for our club!

Bah!

3. royalbarclayfan

royalbarclayfan Well-Known Member

..and you young´uns are all so impatient, over-ambitious, and intolerant - can´t think that one group is any worse than the other :)

JM Fan likes this.
  4. General Melchett

What about us lot in the middle? :emoticon-0104-surpr

Bah!

5. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Less of the "old 'uns" if you please, we are MATURE <laugh>

I didn't mean to sound antagonistic, just meant that opposite opinions can sometimes both be valid. It's just a matter of how you look at something.

We "old 'uns" regard anything happening in less than a decade as "knee-jerk," I think we are probably more tolerant! <ok> <hug>

JM Fan likes this.
  6. General Melchett

When it comes to getting married, I'd agree whole heartedly! As I'm married and she's welsh, I think I must be pretty tolerant too! (Just don't tell Mrs Melchett!)

Bah!

canary-dave likes this.
  7. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

As Alex is going to be here for 10 years it would be funny if he made light of his horrendous away record.
    For example after losing to Burton just reply to the press something like " Ha ha ha Burton , bloody hell what are we like ? Ha ha ha ha ".
    A little bit of honesty and as others have said already Delia can do what she wants with her club we should stop moaning and mind our own business.
    In the big scheme of things does it really matter ?

8. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

Not as much as we make out most of the time. I'm off for a cycle round the leafy lanes of sunny Mid-Norfolk in a moment, and frankly I couldn't give a **** just now! <laugh><ok>

9. DUNCAN DONUTS

giphy (6).gif

10. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

11. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

12. RiverEndRick

LATEST UPDATE:
    The next two fixtures:

1 Brighton(33-71): Newcastle (h Tues), Forest (a), Rotherham (a)
    2 Newcastle(33-70): Brighton (a Tues), Huddersfield (a), Reading (a)

3 Huddersfield(33-65): Newcastle (h), Villa (h)
    Leeds(34-61): Birmingham (a), Fulham (a)
    5 Reading(34-60): Wolves (h), Newcastle (h)
    6 Sheff Wed(34-58): Norwich (h), Burton (h)

9 Preston (34-52): Fulham (a), Derby (a),
    10 Barnsley(34-50): Derby (a), QPR (a)
    Derby(33-48): Blackburn (a - Tues), Barnsley (h), Preston (h)

The games in hand above us have now gone except for Fulham's away at Reading (tba later and they also have to play us at CR later). The 6-9 points is still a big gap to make up and a win at SW now seems essential, if unlikely. Derby's remaining game-in-hand is at Blackburn on Tuesday. Lots of other head-to-heads on offer, including ours at SW, which now becomes an absolute 6-pointer. If we lose that it's really all over. If we draw, we still seem to be in mathematical possibility territory. Certainly the margin for error is narrowing all the time.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    Canary Spring likes this.
  13. DUNCAN DONUTS

Even if those teams above screw up it will count for nothing unless we buck the trend of 2016-17 which is quite obviously NOT WINNING AWAY FROM HOME.
    Put a string of 5 or 6 wins together , it's possible but as a grounded realist I know we won't.

JM Fan likes this.
  14. RiverEndRick

LATEST UPDATE (After Fulham's win last night):
    The next two fixtures:

1 Newcastle(32-69): Bristol City (h). Brighton (a Tues), Huddersfield (a)
    2 Brighton(32-68):
    Reading (h), Newcastle (h Tues), Forest (a)
    3 Huddersfield(32-64): Barnsley (a), Villa (h)
    Reading(33-60): Brighton (a), Wolves (h)
    5 Leeds(33-58): Sheffield Weds. (a), Birmingham (a)
    6 Sheff Wed(33-58): Leeds (h), Norwich (h)
    Norwich(33-51): Ipswich (h), Sheff. Weds. (a)
    9 Barnsley(33-49): Huddersfield (h), Derby (a)
    10 Preston (33-49): QPR (h), Fulham (a)
    Derby(32-48): Villa (a), Blackburn (a - Tues), Barnsley (h)

Well Sheffield Weds. and Reading both losing and Derby being held to a draw at home by Burton (how could that happen?) was a pleasant surprise. The games in hand above us have now gone, but Fulham still have one left (at Reading) after their win last night (but they also have to play us at CR later). The 7-9 points is still a big gap to make up, but
    Reading are at Brighton and Leeds are at SW, so that gap could narrow if we beat Ipswich. Barnsley have Huddersifeld as well, and Derby's remaining game-in-hand is at Blackburn next Tuesday. Lots of other head-to-heads on offer the following week, including ours at SW, which now becomes a 6-pointer again, though that could be less so if they beat Leeds. Certainly the margin for error is narrowing all the time. AN seems to agree:

http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/...ash_championship_promotion_shake_up_1_4898384

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  15. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I see from today's presser, that Pinto and Naismith should be fit for Sunday and AN has stressed the importance of the game to his troops. I expect quite a frenetic start by both teams and the first goal is going to be vital I feel.

16. General Melchett

Did he not stress the importance of all the other games we have lost? I'm not sure it makes any difference, we're at home so hopefully we'll win. Hopefully then he can really stress the importance against Wednesday otherwise we'll be properly buggered! Minimum requirement from those two games is 4 points, but realistically to have anything more than a lingering mathmatical chance we need all 6. Will we get em? I just can't see it.

Bah!

JM Fan likes this.
  17. RiverEndRick

Yes, very good news about Pinto and Naismith, both of whom we missed at Burton, though Whittaker did a reasonable job covering for Pinto. AN's comments about Wildschut were interesting as well. As Wigan's star player their style of play was built around him whereas now he's one of many in our attack and he's had to adjust. Burton was his best game yet, IMO, as he used his pace, strength and dribbling skills to good effect. He was also recovering from a hamstring problem when he came in, so has had to build up his fitness again. He could be a key player for the rest of the season, though he now has Naismith pushing for that position as well.

With SW playing Leeds tomorrow, something has to give ahead of us, so a win for us could close the gap to 4-5 points. Reading's next game is at Brighton, so the gap could close to 6 points there as well. The crunch then comes at SW, which will be the real test of our remaining chances.

JM Fan likes this.
  18. theyellowfever

theyellowfever Active Member

AN loves playing the master tactician role, its plainly obvious though we cannot defend for love nor money, other teams know this and it seems anytime we setup defensively we fail miserably. Why can he not see that and stop trying to be a smart a*se and let us just get down and dirty and try and score more goals, we have loads of goals in us and the majority of our opposition look rocked when we hit 5th gear, its time for a Paul lambert master class imo before it to late........

DUNCAN DONUTS likes this.
  19. DUNCAN DONUTS

If we had a Graham Taylor type in charge that shut up shop when we go ahead then we wouldn't have thrown away so many points this season.
    We would have also used some of the £23m spent on Wildschut Pritchard and Naismith on a couple of competent centre backs.
    Out of the 5 we have on our books going back the last 5 seasons only Klose is anywhere near good enough and although it seems glaringly obvious with the goal conceded stats and continuous cock ups in MOST games Neil hasn't addressed this.

theyellowfever and Walsh.i.am like this.
  20. theyellowfever

theyellowfever Active Member

like you say to defend and shut up shop we would need at least 2 new defenders, AN has tried shutting up shop many times only for us to open the barn door and invite the opposition in, with what we have got at our disposal right now we should be going all out attack, not that we really have any choice now anyway. :emoticon-0148-yes: