1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Premiership, should we fear it?

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by THURNBY YELLOW, May 26, 2015.

1. THURNBY YELLOW

THURNBY YELLOW Well-Known Member

Well, answering my own questionm and hoping to start a debate I would not be overly concerned by the league at the moment. I am not saying it will be easy at all and if we avoid the bottom three that will be a great achievemnet next time around, but I don't think that thee as many big geats currently as there wer a couple of years ago and all we need is three teams worse than us with a lot of potential candidates.
    Chelsea are still probably the team to beat and Man City and Arsenal make a good case for the top 3 with Man Ure making the fourth.
    But outside of these clubs is there that much danger?
    Southampton and Swansea were a revelation this time around and many congratulations to them, but will they repeat the feat next season, my thought is doubtful.
    Palace did exceptionally well but cannot see them challenging too much next term and Spurs have the Europa League to contend with which could suck the lifeblood from any potentially good season. Villa I think will also play due to the Cup Final appearance and this may give them great difficulty in avoiding the bottom three dogfight.
    Leicester could be one to watch next year and may be top 10. Everton are uncertain and anything could happen but Liverpool ended the season in a real mess and look lost. I can't see us being turned over by them again, at least not on paper. West Ham started well then faded (like the song) and West Brom will be solid but unspectacular.
    Newcastle and Sunderland are not pulling up trees and cannot see much to fear from them either and then Watford and Bournemouth join the party, to what effect is hard to say. All in all, somewhere around 14th / 15th looks a decent bet. Would you agree?

2. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Good assessment thurnby and it's made me feel quite confident about our chances. Personal prediction is we'll finish in all probability in the bottom half but not in the bottom three.

3. THURNBY YELLOW

Yep, I would go along with that KIO. The margins between positions can be so marginal that 11th - 17th might be just 3 or 4 points, literally a goal here and there. To me, AN is the difference.

4. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If we can coerce Snoop Dogg to play in Norwich prior to every match next season - kitted out appropriately, of course, we need fear nobody <ok>
    The fact that Palace and Leicester had such strong finishes to the season suggest that outside of the top 6 /8 usual suspects, we need fear nobody. We could give a damned good account of ourselves now against the likes of West Brom, Stoke, Sunderland, etc so with a little sensible strengthening and structured, positive management focus and tactical implementation, (which is what cost us last time) I think we'll be fine.
    For what it's worth, so does Harry Redknapp, cos he said so on the telly yesterday <ok>

5. THURNBY YELLOW

Your last comment has made me a bit nervous now Cromer. I can't say I care about Redknapp and I certainly don't care about his views.

Tony_Munky_Canary likes this.
  6. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

<yikes>

7. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Good grief, guys!
    I thought the unmentionable 'R' word was what has just happened to QPHa, not the shady manager-turned-pundit!!

8. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

To answer the OP, I'll keep it simple

The Premiership, should we fear it? - Yes

To elaborate......I think Swansea and Southampton will be every bit as good next season as this, due to the current philosophy instilled at those clubs.

Chelsea, Man U, Man C, Liverpool, Arsenal - all very hard although Liverpool at home might see a point or three.

Spurs will still be a tough nut to crack but if we get them following a Euro game, the chances of winning will be better.

Stoke - Anything is possible
    Palace - Hard to imagine they will do as well, but maybe they will.

Everyone else - Fighting off the drop

9. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

<laugh>

10. ThaiCanary

I have now elaborated but still a half empty glass. I cannot be disappointed next season if I go in to it believing relegation is on the cards :emoticon-0136-giggl

11. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Wow, it didn't take someone's euphoria-shaped bubble long to burst!! ;)

12. ThaiCanary

Last season was so shockingly bad that any shred of confidence was stripped away. I am hopeful that AN will play a more attacking game (where possible) and play to win, at least at home and away at a certain handful of away games. (CH still has so much to answer for <grr>)

13. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

I don't think we should 'fear' the PL, but we should respect the fact that it'll be very tough every week and be up for that challenge. Having been uncertain about AN when he was appointed, I'm now convinced that he is the real deal and will see us through. His tough minded determination, the hard work he puts in preparing tactics for matches and his motivational skills make him exceptional. He took over a good squad and made it better and that will make a big difference next year. Other than Dorrans and Andreu, we have yet to see how well he will do in bringing new quality players in, but I suspect that he'll succeed in that as well. The realistic aim is survival, but I think we might just surprise a few pundits.

DHCanary likes this.
  14. THURNBY YELLOW

Yes I agree with you Rick, a pretty fair assessment. I have a really low opinion of pundits particularly as they always plump for the big 6 teams to be everyone else anyway, they never add anything at all in my view and any Joe Public off the street could spout that tripe till the cows come home.

15. Carbrooke Canary

Carbrooke Canary Active Member

Interesting to watch what happened with Leicester this season... Began by putting in strong performances but ultimately coming up short until they added Cambiasso's skills and experience which seemed to make all the difference. I think we should follow their example and just add a couple of jewels to what is a very capable squad. Think we will need more in attack though unless either Hoops or VW step up with more goals plus a quality cb

16. Fatter than Fleck

Fearing the PL was football under Hughton. I intend to enjoy the season, take the bad days on the chin and move on. I hope, and expect, AN will continue to get the team to enjoy their football too and that will be the difference between the squad that got relegated and the same players who are now going back up.

THURNBY YELLOW and Oxcanary like this.
  17. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

18. jeremygoss

jeremygoss Member

As long as we don't play Wolfsdick up front every game this time we have more than enough to stay up!!

19. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Before 'Wolfsdick' as you call him signed for us I did a lot of research on the guy. I just cannot believe a player can go from being so good to so bad and I still put a lot of the blame on he who shall not be named. RvW's confidence was shot when he left and I would like to think that AN will welcome him back into the fold and give him the chance to show what he can really do. IF he is still the player I think he is AN is the man to restore his self belief.

20. ColkOfTheBarclay

ColkOfTheBarclay Well-Known Member

In a word; No.

I think we should embrace it, as we did under Lambert in the 11/12 season. I can't see AN being scared by the big grounds and over paid nancies the same way Hughton seemed to be. I genuinely think the squad we have had since we went up under Lambert is better than a lot of the bottom half teams in the Prem. We went down because Hughton had no faith in the players to go and beat teams and that lead to a self fulfilling prophecy where they couldn't beat teams because they had no confidence in themselves!

I can't see AN letting confidence drop in anyway and when our players are confident they are a match for anyone in the Prem.

I'm gunna predict 12th now, just to really put my cards on the table. I'll be happy with anything above 17th of course though.