1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Premier League Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Jun 28, 2016.

1. VVD

VVD Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, I think most Leicester fans were resigned to the fact Ranieri had to go (bar Gary), so they feel grief really that it had to end this way. Fans of other clubs looking in obviously feel differently, but Leicester were in total freefall in the league, and they obviously felt something had to change. We see the individual mistakes on motd, we saw the lack of anything going forward when they played us, but we don't see week in week out the lack of passion, drive and determination that the Leicester fans have seen this season, those factors that made them so good the previous season.

They stuck by Pearson when things looked bleak, and they've decided to do the opposite now, having delivered him their unwavering support (kiss of death).

The players have totally let Ranieri down, but this season he's stuck by a number of those that played so well last season, when he probably shouldn't have.

2. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

But I think it can happen. If you keep bringing in good players and you have a good plan rather than knee jerk reactions (the usual fan behaviour), there is a reasonable chance that you can win trophies. I have said before that I believe we missed an opportunity last season....we had a really good side when the usual top sides were dropping points. We beat those sides and Leicester took advantage by being consistent. We missed a trick and may have to wait for that blue moon to come round again.

3. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Jose's getting in on the act now:

4. Saint Helen

Saint Helen Well-Known Member

Oh... I thought it meant Crap Ref and he was getting his excuses in early...

San Tejón likes this.
  5. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Always looks as if he has a bad cold these days.

6. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Whiteley Saint, Libby and Qwerty like this.
  7. Libby

Libby 9-0

8. TheSecondStain

9. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

Mate. Put the Alzheimer tablets away. Northampton did indeed go 4,3,2,1 then 1,2,3,4 in quick succession (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northampton_Town_F.C.#Rise_and_fall) You were almost right! But they didn't win the league. Forest did promotion then won the league (then the European Cup twice) in 78-80 I think. Ipswich also did Div 2 to League winners around 1963 under a guy called Alf Ramsey. I wonder what happened to him?

But City were the last team to do winning the league and then getting relegated back in the late '30's. Not even I remember that one. Do you?!

10. TheSecondStain

Northampton Town's rise and fall happened during the very first years of my being a Saints fan and it has always slightly intrigued me. Although I generally have no interest in clubs other than Saints, I do make occasional exceptions, chiefly because of interesting histories. Northampton Town attracted me a little bit because 1] to the child me, they were the Northampton to my Southampton, and 2] even though I was only around 10 years old when they ended up back in the 4th division, I felt sorry for them because they'd tried so hard to succeed, and just achieved much more than they could sustain for the size of the club. So they ended up being one of a few select clubs that I look out the results for if I'm not in Saints supporter mode. Others are Grimsby Town and Huddersfield Town. The fact that they are all called 'Town' is purely a coincidence. The emotional attachment I have to these clubs is zero, so I think the interest is purely nostalgic, because all these teams have known much better times. Incidentally, I suspect some really good times might be returning fairly soon for Huddersfield Town.

11. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Crossed wires Beddy. We were talking about a team winning the league and getting relegated the following season. Which only City have done. Didn't realise you meant a team going all the way up and down.

12. fatletiss

That Alf Ramsey chap came from some good stock didn't he?

13. fatletiss

I've just read Rainieri's statement for the first time in full. How poignant. That first line is so sad and powerful.

"Yesterday my dream died."

Good luck Champ Claudio.

Qwerty likes this.
  14. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Nah mate.....wasnt even a twinkle in my daddies eye then.............Or I had better not have been....<laugh>

15. Missing Lambo

Interesting this non-emotional/lack of real links attachment stuff. Mine is Barrow, for no other reason than they held Saints to a 2-2 draw at their place in the FA Cup 3rd round in 1967. The significance may not be lost on all here. It was Saints first cup game as a First Division side. Much more emotionally, I also follow Wrexham as, when I first moved to the North West, I adopted them. Wales played home games there too, and I'd go to those games. Still support Wales as a result. No clash of loyalties, of course. When Saints beat Wrexham 8-0 on aggregate in the late 70's I knew which was my team!

I love the inclusive feeling that football can generate. I hope I can travel with some proper United fans today. With luck the gobby prats who claim allegiance won't have got tickets.

16. Missing Lambo

Very much TMI, mate!!

17. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Yes sorry mate.......should have made it clearer.......I meant that they came all the way through the leagues hit the top spot for a while then went all the way down again.

fatletiss likes this.
  18. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Schmeichel failing to deny that he asked the board to get rid of Claudio, four times.

19. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I thought that. He said 'how can I make it clearer' and I thought...by denying it. I suspect he didn't seek to get rid of Ranieri, but responded to questions by those in charge and now thinks he may have been indirectly involved.

20. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Jeff going a bit over the top with his praise for Geoff there. Yes he did try and keep in getting an answer out of Kasper, but he should have continued. At some point he should have said to Kasper that he wasn't answering the question being posed.

Kasper meanwhile might want to get a better agent. One of those instances where speaking publically has made things worse for him, not better. If he wasn't going to outright deny speakers to the owner, then he shouldn't have gone in for the interview. He looks absolutely guilty now.

Qwerty and Libby like this.