1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Wandering Yid, Feb 9, 2016.

1. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Trump has tried to start his own media branch up. Murdoch no likey.

2. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

3. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Trump vaguely linked somehow to the owner of Chelsky ??
    Oh now his vermin score has gone up to infinity.

deedub93 and Spur of the Moment like this.
  4. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

5. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

I meant this crap:

He's clearly trying to start his own news company to get more propaganda out there.
    It's an awful decision, as Fox and Breitbart will turn against him if he does, which will completely kill him.
    I've already seen some of his supporters calling both of those outlets liberal and leftist, which is hilarious.

6. humanbeingincroydon

I actually had an interesting discussion about Mike Pence yesterday...no, that's not the punchline.

The other guy was saying that Pence was somebody who would never get the nomination as they lacked the strong personality to stand out in the nomination process or the charisma to appeal to floating voters (although given how a disturbingly large percentage of Americans firmly believe that Hillary Clinton is Satan, that would have been less of an issue last year...) but by sticking close to Trump he gets through the White House's front door and into the line of succession, and when Trump flames out due to impeachment and/or flouncing out of office like he's Jordan Vogt-Roberts who inherits the job?

The obvious question after that is that, when Pence purges Trump's inner circle (most obviously Trump's various kids, Steve Bannon, and the Conway Creature) who does he bring in? Because there's plenty of people **** scared of what would happen if Pence was in the Oval Office.

...which would be good news to Jimmy Kimmel, as the Trumpists have called a Fatwa on him now.

7. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Pence had to take the VP job, because he was on the way out locally. He's completely incompetent.
    If and when Trump goes down, Pence will go with him. He totally screwed himself with the Flynn thing.
    Next up would be Paul Ryan, but he's been implicated too, apparently.
    Some campaign donations and the Rohrabacher "this is how we know we're family" stuff make him vulnerable.

Who does that leave. Orrin Hatch.
    Ancient and staunchly right-wing, but I don't know that much about him, honestly.
    Any clearout that he'd have to perform would be dramatic, but probably not that difficult.
    He's been around for decades and would probably just pick a few close allies and work out from there.
    Trump's left tons of vacancies throughout the government, so he wouldn't have to remove that many people.

8. humanbeingincroydon

There's a reason my response was to compare Pence to the Dire Leader - getting the job by default, then rapidly proving to be completely unsuited for it.

Actrually, here's the thing: should Trump flounce or be dragged out of the Oval Office, Pence would inherit the job at some point - the question is how long he manages to stay there before the door gets kicked in a second time.

9. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

That's how things are supposed to work, but I'm not convinced that's how it will happen with Trump.
    Should he quit, which I think is unlikely, then Pence takes over, probably mimics the Nixon situation and chucks out a pardon or 20.
    That would basically make his position untenable though, so he'd be straight out the door, too.
    I think that might be why Trump's allegedly considered pardoning himself. Can he trust Pence to do it?

If he were to inherit the job, then I think that Pence would accept that he was on borrowed time and try to rush his agenda.
    He couldn't be any more disorganised than Trump, so he could actually get a few things done.
    Some religious lunacy, replacing the current healthcare act with something even worse and some massive tax breaks for the rich, probably.

10. humanbeingincroydon

If only there was a Republican with experience in politics who is both thoughtful and balenced when speaking on such subjects

Oh wait, there is...

Meanwhile, Nigel Farage's take on the subject went as well as can be expected

...before the coward deleted it, as like so many on the far right he cannot understand that people screencap things

yossarian likes this.

11. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

You only get Ryan (or indeed Hatch) if there is a vacancy for VP when Trump goes. I don't think that is likely. Pence will either be impeached first and a new VP will be appointed or become President and then appoint his own choice of VP.

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  12. Charlottesville victim's mum rebukes Trump - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40977695

Not only the crassness of seeking a political win by using the mother of the victim, but also the ineptitude of the WH trying to make contact during the public memorial.

So ****ing typical of Trump and his Administration!

13. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Good for her.

Pity the rest of America doesn't follow suit and tell the sociopathic egomaniac to ****ing do one!

Spur of the Moment likes this.
  15. humanbeingincroydon

Bannon says that he doesn;t want neo-Nazis associating themselves with Trump, then Trump fires him.

Did nobody explain to Trump how that might look?

16. humanbeingincroydon

Meanwhile, when reading the cover story of today's Metro about poisonous eggs, I couldn't help think of Sajid Javid...

please log in to view this image

littleDinosaurLuke likes this.
  17. humanbeingincroydon

So after being the first local authority to pledge sprinklers in all council-run buildings in the wake of Grenfell, Croydon Council has also become the first local authority to renege on that promise when they were faced with the costs. Their solution? Schools don't need sprinklers.

Just a thought: they'd have £3m extra in the coffers if they didn't throw that at the BOXPARK, which has been the latest in a long line of white elephants in the borough while also ignoring their pledge to showcase a variety of musiocal acts by focusing on just the two generes, drum and bass.

18. humanbeingincroydon

19. humanbeingincroydon

"We are clamping down HARD on online harassment." - Tory HQ

"Is everyone distracted by the Big Ben non-story? Good, let's sneak a couple of our councillors who were suspended for posting bigoted comments online back into the party and hope nobody notices." - Tory HQ

"Four legs good, two legs bad." - a sentence which popped into my mind for no reason whatsoever...

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  20. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/tory-councillors-reinstated-stirling-after-11026068

****ing hell. <doh>