1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Stroller, Jun 25, 2015.

?

Should the UK remain a part of the EU or leave?

Poll closed Jun 24, 2016.
  1. Stay in

56 vote(s)
    47.9%
  2. Get out

61 vote(s)
    52.1%
  1. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Another bit of positive Brexit potential (I confess that I thought the economist one was rubbish, but this one is genuine). The European Free Trade Association court has proposed that it oversee the future trade relationship between the U.K. and the EU, like it does for Norway, Switzerland, Iceland and Liechtenstein. Apparently David Davies likes this and it will be in me paper to be published by his department soon.

Gets us out of the clutches of the dreaded ECJ, as the EFTA court is not an EU institution. Questions around whether the EU would accept this for looking after the rights of EU nationals in the U.K. (Even I think it's an unreasonable demand that the ECJ does this) and whether sovereignty purists amongst the Brexiters will be happy with it, but fine with me, as it edges towards the Norway option.

Oh and look at that Jake Rees Mogg calls it 'unacceptable'.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  2. GoldhawkRoad

GoldhawkRoad Well-Known Member

Extremely complex area, and I'll listen to all arguments carefully. It seems to me where we want to end up, is having the same arrangements with the EU as we might have with, say, America. If we wouldn't allow US courts to have final say on US/UK regulatory disputes, then we should not allow the ECJ to either. I say regulatory disputes, because we're dealing here with issues at governmental level. There is nothing to stop companies trading over borders and agreeing the law and the jurisdiction as a contractual matter.

3. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

We haven't had a good conspiracy theory for ages. Here's a cracker
    please log in to view this image

Yannis Behrakis / Reuters
    The Eclipse Conspiracy
    Something doesn’t add up.

James HamblinAugust 16, 2017
    The scientists are all talking like it’s a sure thing.

On August 21, the “moon” will pass between the Earth and the sun, obscuring the light of the latter. The government agency NASA says this will result in “one of nature’s most awe-inspiring sights.” The astronomers there claim to have calculated down to the minute exactly when and where this will happen, and for how long. They have reportedly known about this eclipse for years, just by virtue of some sort of complex math.

drawn up by Obama-era NASA scientists—have been sold out for months. Some of those hotels are owned and operated by large multinational corporations. Where else do these hotels have locations? You guessed it: Washington, D.C.

In fact the entire politico-scientifico-corporate power structure is aligned behind the eclipse. This includes the mainstream media. How many news stories have you read about how the eclipse won’t happen?

Meanwhile the newspaper owner Jeff Bezos is out there buying all of Seattle with the revenue from these “eclipse glasses.”

You’d think there would be a balanced look at even considering the idea that the eclipse isn’t going to happen. It’s like no one is even thinking to question this. Where are their voices? Why does Google give so few results that say the eclipse is fake? I would start by looking at Mark Zuckerberg and Charles “Chuck” Schumer.

I am not saying the eclipse isn’t going to happen. I’m just saying there are two sides to every story.

And yes, it is tongue in cheek.

4. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

5. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

6. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

kiwiqpr likes this.
  7. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  8. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

9. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Well, I've tried to find some positive stuff, now back to normal service.

The European Investment Bank, which has stopped funding technology projects in the U.K., has also put a moratorium on funding for infrastructure projects - we got £6.9bn last year. So that's more for the NHS and security to fund.

Theresa May, who stands up for the ist about managing, is abandoning her pledge to 'deal with' excessive boardroom pay. Actually I couldn't care less about this, we spend far too much time moaning about the pay of a tiny number of very rich people and not nearly enough trying to improve the lot of millions on low pay.

10. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

Why would the EIB do that. We are still members of the EU.

11. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

12. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Uncertainty about the future relationship. Until this is clear they won't commit cash.

13. GoldhawkRoad

Merkel's NIGHTMARE: Brexit could WRECK Germany's economy, Berlin officials warn
    THE German government is worried that Brexit will wreck Germany's economy, a new report has revealed.
    By Tom Parfitt

Berlin's Finance Ministry fears the UK leaving the EU without a trade deal could plunge the Eurozone's biggest economy into crisis.

Officials also raised fears about Donald Trump's protectionist trade policies and the emissions scandal ensnaring German carmakers.

In a report released today, the ministry wrote: "Risks linked to how Brexit will shape out and future US trade policies remain.

Fears US trade deal could be put on hold amid Trump impeachment fears.

In addition, the so-called diesel crisis should be classified as a new risk to the German economy even though its effects are not possible to quantify at the moment.

The shock admission will come as a major boost to Brexit negotiators as they try to strike a free-trade agreement with Brussels.

Germany's economy is heavily reliant on car exports to Britain, meaning Berlin is desperate to keep the UK in the single market and customs union.

Last year, an estimated 950,000 newly registered vehicles in the UK were made in Germany, a figure that could slump after a hard Brexit.

rangercol likes this.
  14. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Did you edit out the fact that this is an Express story, Goldie? Brexit won't wreck the German economy. He corruption evident in their car industry, and low domestic consumer spending and wage growth might though.

15. GoldhawkRoad

The extract comes from the Express, Stan, the warning comes from the German Finance Ministry (as quoted in more than one newspaper). It stands to reason that this triple whammy would hurt Germany. Barnier may keep playing the hard man in order to extract as much money as he can from the UK, but there are real concerns within the EU at a no-deal outcome. Let's just keep reminding ourselves of that fact. If Davis puts reasonable propositions on the table, and the Commission tries brinkmanship by turning them down flat, then the 27 will start to turn on the bureaucrats.

rangercol likes this.
  16. GoldhawkRoad

Have you heard the one about the Guardian columnist (Nutty Afua) who wants Nelson's column pulled down because it's racist?

Hope Horatio falls on her...

17. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Well, according to that article, the Germans want to keep the UK in the Single Market and Customs Union and thus under the jackboot of the ECJ! Let's hope they get their way!

Did we have a WW1 thread somewhere? Got a truly uplifting story to post, don't want to put it on here.

18. GoldhawkRoad

Masochist! Bet you'd pay good money to be chastised by a large limbed fraulein in the back of a VW with the diesel engine running

kiwiqpr and rangercol like this.
  19. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Only if I was wearing my barbed wire lederhosen.

You'll like this. A hospital somewhere in the Midlands (can't remember where) has turned down a £2500 donation raised by blokes who dressed up as (female) nurses, on the grounds that it was offensive to nurses to raise money that way. ITS POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD! ©Katie Hopkins, Richard Littlecock etc. Except in this case it really is.

GoldhawkRoad likes this.
  20. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

Yes, he hated the French.

GoldhawkRoad likes this.