1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Stroller, Jun 25, 2015.

?

Should the UK remain a part of the EU or leave?

Poll closed Jun 24, 2016.
  1. Stay in

56 vote(s)
    47.9%
  2. Get out

61 vote(s)
    52.1%
  1. West London Willy

West London Willy Well-Known Member

Again, this isn't just a Conservative thing. Despite their protests, it was Labour who introduced the PFI partnerships, which have been shown t be probably the most frivolous waste of public money ever imagined by a Government.

But the fact that this money has been announced as part of the partnership doesn't mean they money wasn't going there anyway. It could easily be a bit of creative accounting by the Tories to sweeten the deal. After all - aren't Labour always saying that money the Tories promise has often already been allocated? Unless your'e saying they are wrong about that, then this could easily be another instance. After all - the problem of the border has been known for a while now, I'm certain plans would have been put in place to finance it.

rangercol likes this.
  2. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Sorry I don't get the thing about the border. They've said how the £1bn will be allocated. It doesn't sound like the sort of dough they'd allocate for such things in NI normally.

I don't doubt the Labour of the past did some terrible things financially but it doesn't excuse this. I don't see how Tory spending can be planned in advance given the various u-turns such as now not changing the triple lock and not means testing Winter fuel payments. They're making it up as they go along.

3. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Not a bribe at all then.

seagullhoop likes this.
  4. GoldhawkRoad

GoldhawkRoad Well-Known Member

Tories have a strong sense of survival, even the Anna Soubry's of the party. Unless May does something else damn stupid, I doubt anyone internally will rock the boat in the next two years. Davis isn't looking for it yet. Boris has been knocked back.

5. West London Willy

Welcome to a coalition.

6. West London Willy

Nobody outside the negotiation team knows for sure what it is. However, if it IS purely a bribe, then it's a far too obvious one, and I can't see anyone trying that on at the moment - especially not Theresa May, whose position is precarious enough without pouring fuel on the fire.

7. Stroller

May has made herself incredibly unpopular and frankly just doesn't look up to the job. The DUP fiasco is just one more in a long line of ****-ups. Do you really think that the Tory party will sit by as its poll ratings plummet and by-election defeats mount? I still think she will go soon, but who will take over? I saw this the other day, which is another indicator of Brexit unpopularity........

please log in to view this image

This would suggest that the Tories' best chance of winning the next election is to elect a 'soft Brexit' leader. I couldn't see Hammond - who I saw hilariously described as 'making John Major look like Liberace' - being popular, so probably Rudd or Davidson.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  8. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

You're wrong.
    Again, do some research and see what previous labour governments were prepared to do.
    It's nothing new.

9. Bwood_Ranger

That's why I said this Labour government.

10. rangercol

Which, many on here on the left would get all the time if their chosen method of general election voting were implemented: proportional representation.

Uber_Hoop likes this.

11. rangercol

They're not in government.

Uber_Hoop and CroydonCaptainJack like this.
  12. Bwood_Ranger

I don't think calls for a more representative voting system are solely from 'the left'.

13. Stroller

I think Elliot knows....

14. Bwood_Ranger

Sorry, freudian slip.

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  15. seagullhoop

seagullhoop Well-Known Member

Not Rudd - she only has a majority of 392 in Hastings - I have read she is considered far too vulnerable.

Are Davidson's Scottish Tories considered part of the Westminster cabal?

I'm not sure there is a stand out candidate - they're all pretty toxic, or lacking the necessary gravitas - if it were to happen, my guess would be either Davis or a relative unknown, like Cameron was at the time.

Odds are here: https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-conservative-leader

16. GoldhawkRoad

GoldhawkRoad Well-Known Member

Well, time will tell. But a week is a long time in politics and with everyone's focus on the vital Brexit negotiations, critical eyes may move away from May so long as she doesn't rock any boats or drop an anchor on her foot. My money is still on two years minimum. The DUP deal is only a ****-up through the eyes of the left wing. The DUP will toe the line now, not just because of the money (which will also appease Sinn Fein) but also because Corbyn and MacDonnell are well publicised IRA supporters, and the the DUP would rather disembowel themselves than see Jez as PM.

rangercol likes this.
  17. Bwood_Ranger

Disagree. I'd bet there are plenty of moderate Tory MPs who see it for what it is, as grateful as they are that it keeps them in guaranteed work for now.

18. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

It all stinks of ****e if u ask me and we all put up with it! Tories Labour lib dems they are all full of it

rangercol, Sooperhoop and Uber_Hoop like this.
  19. Stroller

I haven't spoken to anyone who thinks that the DUP deal was a smart move on May's behalf (and I don't just converse with other lefties - most of my friends are pretty reactionary, but I can't be arsed to find new ones). It was dumb for the very reason you give, that they wouldn't have let Corbyn in anyway, so chucking 1.5 billion quid at them was a waste of the fruits of the magic money tree. A coalition of chaos with terrorist sympathisers - brilliant.

seagullhoop likes this.
  20. seagullhoop

seagullhoop Well-Known Member

That or the DUP will keep coming back for more... that is how extortion works right?

It's right that Sinn Féin have acknowledged the extra cash as a good thing, but they are refusing to play ball until there is an inquiry into the Renewable Heat Incentive scandal - and frankly it doesn't bode well that there is clear evidence from people in her own party that Arlene Foster first blocked an attempt to close the scheme and then attempted tried to remove her name from documents.

Still, with a party that corrupt holding the balance of power we'll be fine... won't we?