1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Stroller, Jun 25, 2015.

?

Should the UK remain a part of the EU or leave?

Poll closed Jun 24, 2016.
  1. Stay in

56 vote(s)
    47.9%
  2. Get out

61 vote(s)
    52.1%
  1. GoldhawkRoad

GoldhawkRoad Well-Known Member

Margaret Beckett's entitled to some downtime like everyone else

2. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

What are you withering on about?
    Central office?
    Who's?

3. YorkshireHoopster

YorkshireHoopster Well-Known Member

Yeah sorry. I forgot. You're totally independent and can't see the merits of anyone else's point of view if it's in any way socially liberal.

4. YorkshireHoopster

YorkshireHoopster Well-Known Member

Because there is a big bad Russian bogey man? My God, I won't sleep well tonight.

5. rangercol

Completely wrong, but you carry on making it up as you go along.
    Tell me, would you like to see Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbot in power and if so why?

6. rangercol

Do you like the way Russia is ruled?
    Would you prefer to live there?

7. GoldhawkRoad

I appreciate your sleeping habits are important, but amazingly, it's not you that the EU and NATO are thinking of, but those living in the Baltic states after Russia's military aggression in Georgia and Ukraine

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  8. rangercol

David Davis currently on the Andrew Marr Show and is coming over superbly knowledgeable, with a plan for everything. All those on here that think he is useless should watch it on catch up and should reassess their position regarding him.

Brilliantly reassuring performance and Marr got nowhere whatsoever in rattling him over the EU issue.

GoldhawkRoad likes this.
  9. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

I'll try and catch it later. The reaction was a little different on Twitter.

10. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Well I'd much rather have Davis heading up the team than May, Johnson, Gove or 'Dr' Fox, that's for sure. He seems calm, considered and relatively good natured on telly. But have a look at his long term record and he's pretty flaky, a flounce out merchant and a loner. In this role it's all speculation - he's taken an age to get the nerve together to start negotiations, the EU have been ready for months. In that time he has failed to recruit his choice of experienced negotiator to head up the official side of the discussions, set out a negotiating strategy (divorce terms and trade talks in parallel) which fell at the first hurdle, and let his boss steal his big opening gambit offer on citizenship, which fell flat anyway, and has now resorted to aping Johnson's 'punishment' language in regards to the deal. Lots of people talk a good game but don't have the tools to deliver. Just look at most of QPRs recent managers.

Article 50 is set up to heavily favour the EU in discussions with member states which want to leave, precisely because it's supposed to be a deterrent. It's going to be rather painful to watch our inch by inch, or centimetre by centimetre retreat, but I am increasingly sure that we will end up signing up to a long transitional period which leaves everything in place (freedom of movement, ECJ jurisdiction, some level of payment to the EU) except our voice in EU decisions and the employment of Brits in EU institutions. And then see the transition period quietly extended. But we definitely are leaving, because the terms of rejoining would undoubtedly include an end to the budget rebate and signing up to the €.

Believe it or not, I would prefer us not to be humiliated into this position, but to get there by a clear 'this is the best we can get and live up to the referendum result' decision.

11. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Or we could have a second referendum and decide to call the whole thing off.

12. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Who's going to call that? Both the Tories and Labour, who got over 80% of the vote between them last time, are committed to Brexit. The Current Labour leadership think that they can do better than the EU on workers rights and hate the capitalist core of the EU - free movement of goods, money and people is hardly a call to social justice, is it?

Nobody has the balls to even ask 'the people' again, let alone contradict what we are continually told is 'the will of the people'

13. Stroller

The next General Election (probably quite soon) might easily have one party or other (probably the Tories under Hammond) opportunistically promising a second referendum in recognition of the fact that people are beginning to realise what a monumental disaster we are facing. A second referendum would undoubtedly reverse the original result. Cue Goldie threatening blood on the streets.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    QPR Oslo likes this.
  14. GoldhawkRoad

100% agree on the no- U turn point.

There may be a transitional period, but I doubt it will be long and then Brexit will happen.

Increasingly, we will see an outbreak of pragmatism breaking out in the current negotiations imo.

rangercol likes this.
  15. rangercol

Was he supposed to start negotiations before the general election? Nerve? Poetic licence there mate.
    Failed to set out a negotiating strategy? Watch the Marr interview. He doesn't do hypothetical and he isn't going to show more of his hand then he wants to.
    There may well be a transitional period, but it won't be extended indefinitely imo.
    If the EU demand too much we'll simply walk away...............good!!
    It's easy to criticise and find fault, but I found his words very encouraging.

16. rangercol

Really?
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/15/two-thirds-voters-now-support-brexit/

17. GoldhawkRoad

This was Farron's promise, Strolls, and a lot of good it did him or the Lib Dems. I can't see it happening. The Tories are committed to delivering Brexit, and Corbyn is a Brexiteer. And as Stan says, if we go back with our tails between our legs, we'll be punished for threatening to leave the cult

rangercol likes this.
  18. Stroller

19. Stroller

The Tories under May are committed to delivering Brexit. She won't be around for long.

20. GoldhawkRoad

I'm not so sure. A report today that Hammond will be her temporary replacement turns out to have little foundation (the Sunday Times journalist responsible admitted as much on BBC's Sunday Politics). I'm willing to bet she'll be in place until the end of the 2 year Brexit negotiating period.