1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Stroller, Jun 25, 2015.

?

Should the UK remain a part of the EU or leave?

Poll closed Jun 24, 2016.
  1. Stay in

56 vote(s)
    47.9%
  2. Get out

61 vote(s)
    52.1%
  1. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

Reading some of the dirge on here and in the media reminds me of Private Frazer from Dads Army....'We're doomed i tell ye' !!

FFS, the country ain't going under just 'cos were leaving the total gravy train, that the EU has become...and maybe we might just be in a better place without paying for the rich, faceless bureaucrats that sit in Brussels, just getting richer off of us, the people.
    Let's not talk ourselves into depression before the journey has started, eh ?

2. Wherever

Wherever Well-Known Member

When the UK leaves Europe, I hope we head south, kinda like the warmer weather

kiwiqpr and Tramore Ranger like this.
  3. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

I have also seen many people coming out with the same crap <doh> It's all silly scaremongering. As I said before, there will be a lot a saber rattling from the bureaucrats in Brussels but the manufacturers in Germany and France will not accept losing our trade.

What does make my blood boil are the tw@ts like Clegg who keep talking us down. You never do that in a business negotiations, never. Those idiots want us to fail for political reasons.

I also felt embarressed for the laughter from some MP's while May was speaking. This was a very important speech and all the MP's should have listened to it. The image of Tim Fallon laughing like a hyena was embarrassing. Sadly he is as wet as the last Lib leader (actually wetter).
    As for Tusk, saying that the EU will unite? Maybe if they had adapted before and not laughed off Cameron then we probably would still be in the EU.

4. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

It plummeted yesterday evening on all the graphs I saw! As at every big step to date in the Brexit process.

5. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Agree Ellers.......I see that May shot down the SNP leader as well with his threats of Independence, nice quote by her about the 400k SNP members who voted out, not sure if figure is accurate but what the hell.......good for her, they are only out for political gain....

ELLERS likes this.
  6. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

They were listening.

Uber_Hoop and sb_73 like this.
  7. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Agree I forgot about that. I loved Salmond's face after. :emoticon-0140-rofl:

8. GoldhawkRoad

GoldhawkRoad Well-Known Member

No wonder Donald Tusk looks gloomy today. The EU has just lost its second biggest net contributor after Germany (the next, France, is way down the list because of all the money it rakes in from the Common Agricultural policy). With so many of EU member states demanding subsidies, the question for Tusk and his colleagues is - where is the money going to come from? - because those few net contributors that are left aren't going to stump up more.

The EU faces a crisis with Russia to the East, Middle East turmoil and mass migration to the south, and a hostile President in the West. They need the UK as an ally. Let's see whether they're stupid enough to alienate us...

Uber_Hoop and rangercol like this.
  9. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Many reports coming in that the tone of the EU is changing. ministers now saying they want a good relationship with the UK.

10. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Just read the letter. Just to double check, did Brexit voters expect our major aim to be to agree a 'deep and special partnership' (a phrase we will hear endlessly and which I am already sick of) with the EU and to support 'liberal' democratic values which we all share (i.e. **** off populists). I think the shy remainers in the Government got their way on this, Liam Fox must be livid.

It's predicated on parallel withdrawal and new trade agreement negotiations, UK retaining all relevant EU regulations (including referral of disputes to the ECJ I guess) and the UK meeting it's existing obligations. Not a word on border control, which was all the Brexit voters in Sunderland who were interviewed on the wireless today were interested in.

Maybe Stainsey is right, it won't be so bad after all.:emoticon-0102-bigsm

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017

11. finglasqpr

finglasqpr Well-Known Member

Look at it another way, the EU is getting rid of the largest euro sceptic member it has ever had.

ELLERS likes this.
  12. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Good unbiased news as usual, Francois Hollande says Brexit "Will be painful for the British" shame they didn't mention that in the same sentence that he said it would be "painful for the EU" as well.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  13. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

I agree Finglas.

finglasqpr likes this.
  14. GoldhawkRoad

Hard to deny, and the Brexit negotiations will either result in increased unity within the 27, or they will fall out big time because of different national interests. I'll be charitable and predict the former.

But still, the loss of scepticism doesn't pay the bills

15. GoldhawkRoad

Yes, tough for us not to have to pay billions into the CAP for the benefit of the French farmers

ELLERS likes this.
  16. finglasqpr

finglasqpr Well-Known Member

Mrs May's statement contains the lines, "We must pay unique attention to the UK;s special relationship with the Republic of Ireland and the importance of the peace process in Northern Ireland. The Republic of Ireland is the only EU state with a land border with the UK. We want to avoid a return to a hard border between our two countries, to be able to maintain the common travel area between us, and to make sure that the UK's withdrawal from the EU does not harm the Republic of Ireland".

That is good news from our point of view.

Uber_Hoop and ELLERS like this.
  17. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Nowt wrong with a bit of scepticism.......The EU could also do with a bit of accountability as well.......

kiwiqpr and rangercol like this.
  18. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Sorry Goldie, what I was trying to say was that they only used half of what he actually quoted. Basically, he said it will be painful for both sides, yet the news only used the first part of the sentence.

GoldhawkRoad likes this.
  19. GoldhawkRoad

My misread, Ellers, apologies, and you're right, the media are going to be selective in what they report with a bias against Brexit. The BBC in particular have been in mourning since learning the result of the referendum last June.

ELLERS likes this.
  20. cor blymie

cor blymie Well-Known Member

the two worse offenders on here are the Norwegian and the Irishman. Bit like the Romanian and Pole EU officials today who are worried now we are out who are going to subsidise their countries