1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Stroller, Jun 25, 2015.

?

Should the UK remain a part of the EU or leave?

Poll closed Jun 24, 2016.
  1. Stay in

56 vote(s)
    47.9%
  2. Get out

61 vote(s)
    52.1%
  1. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

<laugh>
    What a load of Tory bashing again from the Yoghurt party! Non starter.

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  2. TootingExcess

TootingExcess Well-Known Member

No, that's not the point I'm making. Yitzhak Shamir, Menachem Begin, Jomo Kenyatta and Nelson Mandela probably all had state visits to the UK.

Would you say they were still terriorists because they killed British soldiers in Mandate Palestine or Colonial Kenya in the 40s and 50s?

People and politics change, you can surely see that?

qprbeth, sb_73, Steelmonkey and 2 others like this.
  3. Shawswood

Shawswood Well-Known Member

Honestly I don't believe he can, but good try anyway

4. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Did you read it?

5. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

No Stroller I have been watching Jaws 3 then Question Time. I will read tomorrow though. :emoticon-0148-yes:

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  6. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

What Shawswood said.

7. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

the families of the soldiers probably would

8. NigsyHoops

NigsyHoops Well-Known Member

Mr Toms?

durbar2003 likes this.
  9. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Andrew Neil does it again...

danishqp, durbar2003, igor60 and 9 others like this.
  10. awjm

awjm Well-Known Member

I can't stand all the rhetoric about us being a just, democratic and good nation, as if our hands are completely clean in this world. Worst of all was hearing St. Theresa May coming out with it.

P.s. I'm not anti-Britain. I love the land and its folk cultures. But I hate the establishment and think we're one of the very most corrupt countries in the world.

qprbeth likes this.

11. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

No AWJM, although I agree with most of your sentiments I do not agree with "think we're one of the very most corrupt countries in the world"...... We are corrupt, but nowhere near one of the most corrupt...nowhere near.... I do believe we are at the other end of the spectrum.....however we do portray ourselves as "whiter than a white thing painted white" ....and we certainly not that.

But try getting health care in Africa, S. America, Russia and the middle east without greasing a few palms...Try getting to leave the Middle East without selling your soul
    Try setting up a business in Nigeria or Brazil...the list is endless

awjm and Shawswood like this.
  12. awjm

awjm Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on how you gauge corruption but I still stick by my comment. If you isolate a country completely and then look at how corrupt it is internally and in relation to its citizens then the UK will not be at the top of the list... neither will it be at the bottom. You have to ask why some of those African or Middle Eastern countries are corrupt and how western nations have affected them and still affect them.
    But looking at the UK as the international, world player that it is, it certainly is at the very top reaches of the list. The number one reason is how utterly corrupt it's financial industry is. Tied in with that is the fact that the UK is the central point of the vast web of tax havens wordwide, overtly and covertly. Financially, the UK is the filthiest. Combine that with the fact that we have the most significant financial centre in the world and you have a lethal combo.
    We also have a history of coverups on a grand scale. And we are one of the biggest arms dealers. Although dealing in arms is legal, one would obviously question its moral implications and also point out the fact that UK origin arms have been used and are being used in many war crimes.
    I could go on.

I recommend a book called 'Treasure Islands' by Nicholas Shaxson.

13. awjm

awjm Well-Known Member

Also, I should mention that we currently have a political party in power here that is woeful and shameful (or shameless?). They have an agenda to shrink the state, privatise most or all of the state's services, make brutal cuts (including for the most vulnerable people in society). They have a shameless revolving door and are literally for sale. The number of Tory MPs involved in dubious financial arrangements and 'tax efficiencies' is considerable.

Stroller and qprbeth like this.
  14. qprbeth

Forum Moderator

I will look out for the book AWJM, I am very interested .. but I do not inherently disagree with what you say....perhaps I do not know/understand the financial implications of what you are saying.

I am seeing corruption more on the ground, and that is what I am so unhappy about..In my field... A medical diagnostic company in India, undercutting their competitor by 80%, until it went out of business....and when it had the monopoly...increasing their pricing astronomically, so diagnostic testing was no longer available to the ordinary people

awjm likes this.
  15. qprbeth

Forum Moderator

Now that is so true.... unfortunately what "our government" is doing is quite open....it is morally completely corrupt....but it is open and they seem to be even proud of it

awjm and Stroller like this.
  16. awjm

awjm Well-Known Member

Of course, the UK is far from the worst country to live in. But how far back in history do you have to go to find a time when the UKs ruling lot were more interested in its control over the UK populace more than its control over foreign agents and affairs. The answer: a long time. I do believe we are held exactly where they want us now. But the UK's ruling lot are focussed on the movement and manipulation of capital. We have kind of been a tax haven for a long time and Brexit is securing that.

I think most people are unaware of the UK's dirty deeds because of the changes brought about by globalisation and capitalism, leading to the things set in motion in the UK and by the ruling and powerful elite are not necessarily done with the stamp of officialdom but definitely come from the establishment and businesses based here or in the (ex-)empire.

17. awjm

awjm Well-Known Member

Sadly, it is out in the open and the info is available publicly. But the public aren't interested in politics. They think the utopian dream of freedom in the UK is going to last forever. The fact that The Sun is the best selling paper says it all. If the people truly looked at the Tories, no one bar the upper middle classes and beyond would vote for them again.

Which brings me to another point... the English are woeful when it comes to rising up and refusing to go along with the establishment. I single out the English because at least the other UK nations have a better history of protest. We've only had one significant uprising in England and it wasn't big enough to be successful.

18. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

I only never bought the sun for page 3

And the sport
    And dear Deirdre
    And the tv listings
    And the bizarre column
    And the bingo
    And the cartoons
    But other than that
    What a **** paper

19. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Good one Strolls.

I had a good search for that photo last night but couldn't find it, which I found rather strange. I'm usually good at finding stuff on the the web .. a-hem.

I think this thread has taken a different direction now so I think I'll put it into 'Room 101.' ( The Politics Thread )

Stroller likes this.
  20. peter1954qpr

peter1954qpr Well-Known Member

I hated Mr Toms

durbar2003 likes this.