1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Stroller, Jun 25, 2015.

?

Should the UK remain a part of the EU or leave?

Poll closed Jun 24, 2016.
  1. Stay in

56 vote(s)
    47.9%
  2. Get out

61 vote(s)
    52.1%
  1. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Scotland won't be going anywhere and I wouldn't listen to 'project fear' or the saber rattling. The Scottish people know they will be better off within the UK than out of it. This is completely different thing to us leaving the corrupt EU. Expect the same old Tory/Trump bashing remoaners to say different.

2. TheBigDipper

TheBigDipper Well-Known Member

Someone I know posted this in FaceBook this morning. It's funny (ish). Just ignoring the individual and the party they're in, because some of us will be Conservative supporters and I don't want to be tribal about this - do we think Osborne should stand down as an MP if he's going to do these other things as well? I spent yesterday hearing other MPs on the radio wondering how he gets the time to do all of this if he's going to be an effective MP - implying he can't and he's just taking the p**s out of us all.

/starts/
    George Osborne - My Day

Morning - meeting at the bank. I'm paid 600k a year to spend one day a week ensuring that politicians don't limit the freedoms of bankers.

Lunchtime - in Parliament, voting for less banking regulation.

Afternoon - Evening Standard, editorial meeting. My top journalist wants to run with a story about collusion between bankers and corrupt, greedy politicians.

No. Let's go with a story about migrants getting council houses!

Evening - at my club, reflecting on another constructive day exploiting my many talents.
    /ends/

3. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Personally, I think his position as an MP is untenable if he is editing a newspaper. If a story relating to Parliament breaks, particularly if it concerns a Labour MP, how will he avoid accusations of bias?

The fact he is milking untold thousands from his 'portfolio' of jobs and engagements must really piss off the poor people of Tatton who previously had to put up with Neil Hamilton as their MP...

4. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

You say you're not being tribal about it and then post a completely anti-Tory Facebook post. Interesting!

As it happens I can't stand Osbourne and indeed agree that he is completely taking the piss.

5. TheBigDipper

No, I asked everyone who responds (like you, Col) to not be tribal about it. I've only picked on Osborne because he's the one in the news, one of my FB peeps posted the quote (which I know is tribal, he's definitely pro-Labour but anti-Jezza, FWIW) and I started thinking about the principle it demonstrates and wondered if anyone cared about the principle. I'm sure we can find someone from another party doing the same thing - although finding someone else trying to be an MP, banking advisor and newspaper editor all at once does seem unlikely.

I don't like Osborne much either, but for his actions. Which actually applies to all my views on politics. I don't support a party - I agree or disagree with policies and behaviours. If Osborne did something I approved of, I'd say so.

Feel free to substitute Osborne for someone else in a party you don't like. It's still the principle that matters, not the party emblem.

QPR Oslo likes this.
  6. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

You actually wrote "I don't want to be tribal about this".

However, that aside, I agree with what you've said here.

7. TheBigDipper

True, I did, but (to me) it doesn't mean the same thing in the context of the sentence it was part of. Just one of those things, I guess.

Something we can all be tribal about is supporting our team today. That's always a good idea. :)

rangercol likes this.
  8. sku

sku Well-Known Member

Seems that there's a minutes applause at every match nowadays....

upload_2017-3-22_8-14-42.png

:(

9. Hoopington

Hoopington Active Member

That's surely a piss take. Political gestures like that would get them fined out of their arse.

10. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

This one of those 'photoshop' jobs (Meme?) created on twitter and completely untrue. This should've gone on the politics thread sku.

11. cor blymie

cor blymie Well-Known Member

appreciate the minutes applause at Derby is a piss-take, but we were saying Saturday this applause craze is getting tedious

12. Wherever

Wherever Well-Known Member

Maybe we should all clap at 8 minutes in recognition of the fact it's eight years in a row that derby have blown a good chance of promotion

kiwiqpr and Sooperhoop like this.
  13. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

I'll be wildly hollering every time Keogh is on the ball.

14. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

There's been a shooting and stabbing outside Parliament in London.

15. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

There's also been a car driven into pedestrians near Westminster Bridge.

please log in to view this image

16. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

From BBC News...

Shots are reported to have been fired close to the Houses of Parliament.

Politicians and journalists have tweeted about hearing loud crashes outside the buildings,

Witnesses said they saw people being treated for injuries and reported seeing a man with a knife in the palace grounds.

Staff inside Parliament were told to stay inside their offices. The BBC's Laura Kuenssberg said police told her someone had been shot.

Scotland Yard said it was called to a firearms incident on Westminster Bridge amid reports of several people injured.

Transport for London said Westminster underground station has been shut at the police's request.

17. finglasqpr

finglasqpr Well-Known Member

There seems to be some sort of incident in and around Westminster. Parliament is in total lockdown. Possible gunshots heard and reports of bodies on Westminster Bridge. Stay safe everybody over there.

18. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

999s you are faster than the BBC, please keep us up todate,

QPR999 likes this.
  19. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

One attacker with a knife has been shot by police, one police officer suffering from knife related injuries.

Multiple people hit by a car on Westminster Bridge. The same car then continued onto Parliament and crashed into the wall and railings outside.

20. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

How the hell did someone drive that quickly in Central London?