1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Stroller, Jun 25, 2015.

?

Should the UK remain a part of the EU or leave?

Poll closed Jun 24, 2016.
  1. Stay in

56 vote(s)
    47.9%
  2. Get out

61 vote(s)
    52.1%
  1. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Plus don't forget working all hours, it's not just 9 to 5, working weekends, on call all the time, not being entitled to any social welfare payments in the event of sickness or simply not having any work. I reguarly start work by 7:30 am and often work until 9pm at night. Plus over here it was shown that a person who's self employed and has taxable income of €20000 pays over €600 more in tax/social welfare than an employed person paying on the same income, and all I'm entitled to is a state pension when I reach 67........

Am I bitter? Off course I am.........

Steelmonkey likes this.
  2. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

When I was trading for a bank I worked 12 hours a day and then would take calls all night. Am I bitter, NO, Best time of my life.

3. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

I've been following the Tory election expenses story for several months. It's been noticeable how those lefties at the BBC have barely mentioned it until the last few days, whilst CH4 have gone after it quite hard. If the law has been broken, of course the results shouldn't stand.

4. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

What happens then?

5. Stroller

There will have to be by-elections in the seats where expenses laws were broken.

6. YorkshireHoopster

YorkshireHoopster Well-Known Member

I don't doubt that for one minute. So did I for over 23 years. And like me, I'm sure you acted responsibly and paid for PHI, PMI and the rest as well however hard it may have been at the time.

7. TootingExcess

TootingExcess Well-Known Member

If Remain had won the referendum and Cameron was still in charge, the kippers would be kicking up a fuss for a by-election and sanctions. As it is most of those kippers are now supporting May, so are probably going to play it down.

Corbin might organise a hard hitting leaflet campaign, but that'll be about it.

They should re-run them though, if that's the rules

8. Stroller

All the seats involved were marginal (hence the extra attention), so in the theory this could wipe out the Tory majority. But Labour is in no state to mount a proper challenge of course, so not much will change.

9. Stroller

Interesting results in the Dutch elections, with far-right populist and Jimmy Page lookalike Geert Wilders failing to make any ground, whilst the GreenLeft party advanced from 4 seats to 14. There is still hope for the world.

please log in to view this image

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  10. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Yeah, we get to eat lettuce all day.
    Makes you think how insecure they are at EU headquarters when they send out a quote that they are glad Wilders lost? The EU need to realise that their corrupt organisation is not working and people are turning away from it. it will come falling day at some point and it will be their fault.

11. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

No it will be Brexiteers fault.

12. TheBigDipper

TheBigDipper Well-Known Member

The Electoral Commission has determined that the Conservatives broke the rules regarding election expenditure reporting in selected marginal constituencies and been fined £70k for it. The Conservatives aren't saying "Sorry". No, they're saying "We'll have to look at the Electoral Commission processes and requirements"...

The CPS are looking at the available evidence to see if it was just an accidental failure or if there was a deliberate attempt to break the rules and hide the fact they'd done it. I'm sure it's only coincidence that the constituencies in question were the ones considered marginal and under threat. I think UKIP and Farage might have something to say about this.

I'm not clear if they spent more than they should (which is illegal) or just failed to correctly report what they did spend (which is not).

13. Stroller

Twelve police forces have asked the CPS to consider charges over election expenses. Presumably any charges resulting would be against the candidate (now MP), who will have signed a declaration that spending was within legal limits. This is why the MPs in question are raging against Tory Central Office.

Farage may well get another go in South Thanet. Eighth time lucky?

14. finglasqpr

finglasqpr Well-Known Member

Certain people here have been promising us for months that the following four countries would signal the break up of the EU as extreme right wing anti-EU/anti immigration parties would win the respective general elections.

What has happened to date?
    Austria - LOST
    Netherlands - LOST
    France ?
    Germany?

Meanwhile, in the UK;
    Scotland - threatening a second independence referendum in 2018/2019.
    Northern Ireland - Unionists in the minority in the assembly for the first time ever.

Be careful what you wish for and have a look closer to home, old chaps.

15. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

Break up of the UK before the EU looks the more likely alternative. Personally I want neither. Ironic that Brexit could trigger both.

16. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

I think England would have no problem with either the Scots or Northrn Ireland going, would save billions.

17. cor blymie

cor blymie Well-Known Member

FT index rocketing, Toyota investing quarter of a billion in its Derby works. Looks pretty rosy to me

rangercol likes this.
  18. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

<laugh><laugh><laugh><doh>

19. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Finglas you forgot the most important UK - WIN
    You also forgot to mention the Italy vote with the Matteo Renzi powers. They are not too happy with the EU.
    We have to look further than an election win/lose. Austria was a 50.3% to 49.7% split. Meaning that nearly half were for a far right party. That in itself is something that everyone should take note of.
    As for Wilders I think that most knew he wouldn't win due to his stance on Islam and Mosqes. However winning 16 seat is still enough to cause problems within government.
    France and Germany won't leave the EU but many of the citizens are fed up up with it. I speak to many French people on a regular basis and was surprised how many dislike the EU. The whole rotten thing will fall at some point so I am actually glad that we are leaving the sinking ship on a life boat because like the Titanic they will run out.

20. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

No because according to some the EU doesn't need us and we will be broke while Greece, Italy and co will be fine. <doh>