1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Stroller, Jun 25, 2015.

?

Should the UK remain a part of the EU or leave?

Poll closed Jun 24, 2016.
  1. Stay in

56 vote(s)
    47.9%
  2. Get out

61 vote(s)
    52.1%
  1. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

Good point, I always thought it was the Dutch who were having problems assimilating into Swedish society.

2. cor blymie

cor blymie Well-Known Member

rioting now in Stockholm

3. Shawswood

Shawswood Well-Known Member

They were all set to riot the other night but just to annoy Donald they waited until today

4. TheBigDipper

TheBigDipper Well-Known Member

From last night. Not good. Reports I've read say the police arrested a drug dealer and then it kicked off.

5. durbar2003

I asked my sister if they having similar problems in Copenhagen as in Sweden,. She replied "not in the same scale, but it´s growing slowly
    The Swedes has problems almost every day, either shootings, bombings or demonstrations of who has the control in certain ghettos.
    We`ll get there soon. Sweden has in many ways (good and bad) always showed the way the wind is blowing."

6. durbar2003

A British IS fighter who died in a suicide bomb attack on Iraqi forces in Mosul is a former Guantanamo Bay detainee, the BBC understands.

The self-styled Islamic State group said two days ago that Abu-Zakariya al-Britani detonated a car bomb at an Iraqi army base in Tal Gaysum, south-west of Mosul.

He is believed to have been originally known as Ronald Fiddler.

Fiddler, 50 and from Manchester, was sent to Guantanamo Bay in 2002.

IS has now published a photograph of Fiddler, who was also known as Jamul-Uddin al-Harith before taking the nom-du-guerre Abu-Zakariya al-Britani.

He had been seized by US forces in Pakistan in 2001, before being sent to Guantanamo.

US interrogators found he provided useful information to them about the Taliban's methods, and he was released after two years.

UK fighters
    The Daily Mail reported Fiddler received a million pounds in compensation from the government when he came back to the UK.

7. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Thank you Mr Blair.

8. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

The compensation was agreed in 2010 by the Tory coalition government according to Blair, and his release in 2004 followed a Mail media claim to have him released, strongly supported by the then Tory opposition!

9. GoldhawkRoad

GoldhawkRoad Well-Known Member

There's going to be a lot of finger-pointing. I don't see this as a blame game. At the end of the day, the Guantanamo issue is still hugely difficult, when imprisonment without trial can't be defended, and yet there's good evidence to show that these men were almost certainly terrorists and some still highly dangerous.

If the coalition government did agree the £1m package, it was in order to settle a human rights action, trial of which could have obliged various governments to disclose highly sensitive information about the secret services. Something needs to be done to stop money being paid to these probable terrorists, which will involve either a replacement of the Human Rights legislation or substantial amendment to it.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  10. durbar2003

How much money did we pay German POWs?

11. cor blymie

a bad night for Labour and UKIP. A turnout of just 37% in Stoke tells you what people think of politics in this country

12. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Why do these things on a Thursday. I've heard the reason but forgotten. Turnout would still probably be low but let it run from Thursday to Sunday and I'm sure more people would vote. The weather probably stopped a few.

13. TheBigDipper

What people in Stoke think, for sure. You're probably right about much of the rest of the country, too.

But I still go out and vote anyway. Even when I know my choice is going to get trounced. I don't want to give them all the idea that we don't care enough to vote them out or that they can do whatever they want and get away with it. Even when they can.....

GoldhawkRoad likes this.
  14. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Losing Copeland is a disaster for Corbyn. It's sickening to hear the new MP talking about the Tories representing 'ordinary working people' - they never have and they never will. Not winning Stoke is possibly a bigger disaster for UKIP, though - if they can't win there, where can they win?

Meanwhile, immigration figures were down after we've 'taken back control'. But of course we haven't yet, it's just people not being so keen to come to, or remain in, a country where they will be vilified and scapegoated.

15. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Losing Copeland is bad for Labour, however I am glad that Paul Nuttall lost in Stoke. The bloke looks and acts like Himmler surrounded by three thug looking blokes.

16. TootingExcess

TootingExcess Well-Known Member

They should have voted him in if they wanted real change. They can go back to being ignored again now.

ELLERS likes this.
  17. GoldhawkRoad

GoldhawkRoad Well-Known Member

Double success for Theresa May. A new MP and Corbyn won just enough to keep himself in position.

18. cor blymie

while they field candidates that take votes off Labour and prevent them getting in, that's good enough for me

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  19. TheBigDipper

I suspect you're on the money here.

20. TheBigDipper

Genuine question, Corbs, if you feel like answering it.

Seems like you're coming from an "anyone but Labour" point of view rather than being pro someone else. Would you be OK with a UKIP, Lib Dem, Green or Conservative MP in a constituency as long as it wasn't a Labour MP?