1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The opportunity without Shelvey....

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Albert's Chip Shop, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

In Shelvey's absence I think we've got the opportunity to try out a few different things.
    I'd like to see Rafa go for a 4-4-2 formation to play to the team's strengths with Mitro and Gayle up top.
    For me... Mitro is a better foil than a striker.
    It will also allow a wee bit more aggression in the middle.
    You never know..... we may stumble upon a formation/style which is better than the one we have......

TheSecondComing likes this.
  2. Consett Mag

Consett Mag Well-Known Member

After watching the Blackburn game, and saw how little Mitro gave to the team, I've given up on him.
    I guess Rafa will make as few changes to the team than he has to. It could be that the sheer number of changes for the Blackburn game was of more consequential than Mitro's poor game that day.
    Vital time to show that we're more than one star player.

3. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

I think we will win without him anyway and it's not a bad thing because we don't want to end up playing everything through him .

J. J. McClure likes this.
  4. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

Yes, the opportunity is to learnt to play without him. I don't think Rafa will play 4-4-2, nor do I want him to really. I'd like to see Gayle and Mitrovic on the pitch at the same time, though, but playing in the current formation with Diame dropping back into Shelvey's position and Gayle behind Mitrovic. It's a wonder that they have played so little time on the pitch together.

5. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

Well Diame and Colback not showing their worth!

6. Rafa's Championship Party

Rafa's Championship Party Well-Known Member

****e, only word to describe us without him.

Obi Wan likes this.
  7. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

We had a bad game against a side that's been winning but colbacks proved himself inadequate even at this level

Obi Wan likes this.
  8. Seabass

Seabass Well-Known Member

I think you have been proven right here ACS. Don't get me wrong Rafa has been mint but I would like to see him take a few more chances with the line up. Especially when there is a situation like our main creator being out. We should have used yesterday as an opportunity to mix up the formation a bit. Perhaps take them a bit by surprise. Basically we were predictable in both the changes we made and how we lined up which made it easy for them.

9. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

There is no one in the squad good enough to take the chance. Surely there must be a rough edged youngster who has a bit of dynamism about them?

If he was available I'd like young Callum Roberts a go in there if there is no natural midfielder. Criminal we haven't got a ball player to back up Shelvey who isn't exactly consistent, while also being prone to suspension.

10. General Lee Speaking

Until Atsu came on I don't think we really tried to take their full backs on at all. We play in front of opposition defences too much and don't get in behind enough. There have been comments about being too slow in our build up which I'd agree with completely but Rafa's comments after the game were that we needed to be more patient which is slightly worrying.

Warmir Pouchov likes this.

11. PhilK

PhilK Active Member

Atsu promised much and delivered little. Mitrovic threatened slightly but was crowded out. gayle was almost physically attacked every time near the ball and the ref allowed it. The ref wasn't bad, but his determination NOT to be a homer meant he went the other way. Allowing the disgraceful time wasting at the end had the Newcastle players even Darlow asking what the ref was playing at. But Sheff Wed got away with it, so they did what they had to to get a great result. Newcastle players DIDN'T do what was needed.
    Diame was appalling. Non-existent. Rest of midfield no better. Ritchie has yet to have a good game. He's got it but isn't showing it. Why ?
    Darlow and maybe to much lesser extent Clark (where was he for their goal though ?) were only decent performances
    Strikers can't score if not given ammunition. And neither Gayle nor Mitrtovic got any whatsoever. Defence is OK, Darlow very good. But midfield without Shelvey ? UTTERLY HOPELESS

12. Seabass

Seabass Well-Known Member

We basically need another attacking CM quite badly. Someone who can carry the ball which would give us a bit of a different option as we don't really have that from the middle Of The park at the moment.

13. General Lee Speaking

Who could we bring in?

14. Geordieginola

Geordieginola Well-Known Member

That's the problem. We can't bring any decent premier league players in. We can't tap up top championship players unless we pay stupid money. However there are some good enough premiership loaners available. I would take Delph. That would be a great signing at this level.

15. General Lee Speaking

It would probably be a great signing although I'm not sure of his injury status, and would an England international drop a division, even for half a season? Chalk and cheese compared with Colback, mind.

16. Geordieginola

Geordieginola Well-Known Member

we do have pull though and half a season on loan with guaranteed playing time might be just what he needs.

17. Warmir Pouchov

Ideally you'd go and get someone like will hughes as he could make the step up. Silly money and pl clubs interested though.

18. Rafa's Championship Party

I wouldn't have Roberts anywhere near the team, was out of his depth for Gateshead.

19. Warmir Pouchov

Haven't seen a lot of him since those early appearances where he looked promising. Just trying to think of an option from within, because Hayden, Colback offer very little. Surprised how much of a free ride Hayden gets on here to be honest. I must have been watching a different game yesterday because he was ****ing awful and gave the ball away way more than any player. Also has a really annoying habit of playing the ball two yards behind players when they are trying to advance. His passing is dreadful and I doubt very much he has PL quality.

Tiote doesn't want to know. Shelvey is a good option but only at this level. Just run of the mill a league up. Diame is a joke. Poor sissoko and that is not an endorsement. The To be honest our central.midfield is really poor. I just think there must be a young player within the u23/youth ranks who can offer something.

20. Rafa's Championship Party

Hayden is a poor player said this for a few weeks, Diame has improved but gets scapegoated for his slow start playing for us, yet players like Gouffran and Ritchie can do no wrong in some fans eyes, despite the fact that Gouffran let us down at Hull and has been rubbish most of the time.