1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Official Match Day Thread - Leeds v Newcastle

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Son of a pitch, Jul 30, 2011.

1. biggeordiedave

biggeordiedave Active Member

<applause>

2. Tiote's Witch Doctor

Tiote's Witch Doctor Well-Known Member

Quite fancy Leeds for a cheeky promotion this season, they are one of those teams who I feel add so much to the game and should be premier league! Good luck!

3. Nobbys Trumpet

Nobbys Trumpet Active Member

Sorry but I can't read all of the pages as I'm on my phone in the pub just up the bank from Elland Road.

Anyways all 3 goals were mistakes, 1st was Forsters (I could have caught that), Willo just needs to stick to his normal game...if in doubt kick it out and for the 3rd needed to get infront of his defender...goal side you twat!

Anyways, decent game and atmosphere wasn't too bad, leeds fans seemed a bit pissed off tthat after the minute of clapping we sang Sir Bobby songs.

Overall a draw would have been right but fair play to leeds!

4. je ne sais quoi

Jonny Howson Leeds captain was the best player on the pitch bossed the midfield and the match, English and only 23 years old we should sign him I was really impressed with him last season.

5. ToonSi

ToonSi Active Member

Which pub you at Nobby, you're not the only other group of toon fans in the Dragon are you?

6. Simon21-LUFC

Simon21-LUFC Well-Known Member

Not only is he English he's Leeds through and through so I'm afraid you can't have him and he wouldn't want to go <ok>.

7. Jerel Ifil

Jerel Ifil Well-Known Member

Just got back from this. Said earlier on that I thought it would be 2-2 and we'd look sharper due to being closer to the season start and of course I was right, as always. ;) Well, except for the scoreline.

Clayton and Brown looked like a tidy partnership in central mid, though we definitely need someone to join them in the Sammy Clingan mould. Parker looked lightweight as usual and this match reinforced my belief that we'll get ****ed down the left side if we don't strengthen that position. Mendy, Nunez, Gradel, Sam and Snodgrass all put in a good shift and as a Newcastle fan noted, Howson had a cracker. Really bossed it and I hope that's a sign of things to come after his previous anonymity. Lonergan made a really good save, hope his confidence has been boosted somewhat and Kisnorbo held things together at the back really well, though O'Brien still has some work to do to look anything like his former self.

Can't really take too much from it though, it was only a friendly match and I think our fitness/sharpness levels look decent for Southampton and beyond. Good atmosphere from the Leeds fans and some good banter with the Toon lads. Looks like the same has happened on this thread which is great. Was some trouble after the match outside the West Riding Pub when some Newcastle lads got found out and were chaired, bottled and generally pretty ****ed up. Not nice to see after a bloody pre-season game. Other than that, pretty good day.

Edit: we played 4-2-3-1 for those interested, which hopefully suggests we won't be going 4-4-2 come the season start. Also Steven Taylor is a twat for celebrating in front of the Gelderd End. You have to earn that privilege, Stevie boy.

8. Minty Fresh

Minty Fresh Active Member

My thoughts:

Forster had a stinker.
    Cabaye was our best player.
    Howson was MOTM.
    Williamson was poor but it was his first game back so don't judge him too much.
    Ba did well but him and Ameobi simply cant play together.
    Simpson needs to stop backing off.
    Tavernier struggled a bit but Dummett impressed me.
    Vuckic was very good when he came on, never gave the ball away, made a few good tackles and scored.
    The atmosphere was decent from both sets of fans, especially for a pre-season friendly. I was in the Leeds end and it was quite noisy. Leeds fans were good but some of their chants were stupid, ie calling Gutierrez a gippo. Whats that all about?

9. Jerel Ifil

Because he has long, greasy hair and looks a bit like a gyppo?

10. Voluptuous Vuckic

Voluptuous Vuckic Active Member

Yes but he's an Argie so can get away with it, if it was Carroll however <whistle>

11. Simon21-LUFC

Yeah but he needs to follow Becchio's example and get it cut.

12. Minty Fresh

Minty Fresh Active Member

<laugh>

13. je ne sais quoi

I think he would go.

14. Stevie T

Stevie T Active Member

I was at the game, I thought we looked so much better when Best and Vuckic came on, we suddenly started playing with some pace and urgency. Sorry but when will we get rid of Shola, his left foot attempt on goal in the second half was laughable...

Cabaye looks the real deal doesn't he, made some great plays today, faded a bit second half but i think he put a lot in. I was a bit disappointed with Gosling, he didn't seem to contribute much?

Also, we need a left back, tavernier looks like he has talent but not in that position. We will get burned all season long from the opposition right wing if we don't get that resolved soon.

15. Simon21-LUFC

I don't think so. Captain, came up through the academy, Leeds born and bred (could see ER from his bedroom window), Been a fan his entire life...

I only think he'd leave if we're still in the NPC in another 3-4 years time and he thinks he has a shot at the England squad, but right now I think he thinks he could do that with us.

16. Jerel Ifil

Alan Smith wasn't exactly welcomed, for anyone interested.

17. Simon21-LUFC

... is that because he didn't play?

18. Jerel Ifil

He still got a lot of abuse.

19. Oh Titus She Said No

Just got back from the game, best players were : Best, Vuckic, Cabaye.
    Majority of the team had a bad game, disappointed in Gosling, Barton and Taylor.

20. Smudger

Smudger Active Member

Just got in from the game, my ratings would be: Forster 4, Simpson 5, Williamson 5, Saylor 8, Tavernier 6, Barton 6, Cabaye 8, Gosling 6, Jonas 5.5, Shola 5, Ba 6.

EDIT: and of the subs Best and Vuckic impressed, Sameobi's crossing is shocking, should use him on the right cutting inside.