1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Prediction League The Official 2016/17 PL Relegation Thread

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by Bodinki, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Did one of these a couple of years ago.

Don't know about you, but I find the relegation battle sometimes far more thrilling than the title chase, especially if a team runs away with the PL.

The 2004-05 season has the most awesome relegation battle that I can remember.

Exerpt from Wikipedia

For the first time since the advent of the Premier League in 1992, no team was mathematically relegated before the final day of the season. In each of the last three weekends of the season, the team that was bottom of the table at the start of the weekend finished it outside the drop zone. The final round of the season started on 15 May with West Bromwich Albion at the bottom, Southampton and Crystal Palace one point ahead and Norwich City a further point ahead, in the last safe spot.

West Brom, who had been bottom of the table and eight points from safety on Christmas Day, did their part by defeating Portsmouth at home 2–0. Norwich, the only side to have their fate completely in their own hands, lost 6–0 at Fulham and went down. Southampton lost 2–1 at home to Manchester United and were relegated after 27 years in the top flight. Palace, away to Charlton Athletic, were leading 2–1 after 71 minutes, but with eight minutes to go, Charlton's Jonathan Fortune equalised to relegate Palace. Thus, West Brom stayed up, becoming the first club in Premier League history to avoid relegation after being bottom of the table at Christmas.

At the end of the 90 minutes in all four matches, cameras focused on West Brom's home ground, The Hawthorns, as confirmation of other results began to filter through. Once the realisation dawned on the players and fans that survival had been achieved, a mass pitch invasion was sparked, with huge celebrations. The Portsmouth fans joined in the celebrations as, through losing, they had "helped" relegate arch-rivals Southampton. The defeat itself mattered little to Portsmouth, as they would be unable to improve on their final position of 16th due to 15th-placed Blackburn Rovers' greater points tally.

Now, 2016/17, who are your relegation favourites.
    Obviously people always start with the 3 promoted teams, so Hull, Boro and Burnley.

Burnley will no doubt struggle, they do not have a lot of PL experience and lack quality and squad depth.

Hull have had lots of problems in pre season, losing their manager after an altercation with the chairman, they made a couple of semi decent signings this summer and have started really well, despite being a lot of peoples favourites for the drop

Boro, also have made a decent start and impressed in the summer by making decent signings such as Fabio, Guzan, Valdes and Negredo.

Other teams we might expect to struggle....

Sunderland, barely missed relegation last season, haven't started all too well, and Moyes hasn't won over the fans by coming out already saying he expects them to be fighting relegation once more. Even if that was the case, it probably wasn't a sensible thing to come out with, especially so early on.

Crystal Palace, I cannot escape the feeling that these guys are going to be drawn in to the relegation scrap.
    After a decent start last season, they imploded around Christmas, dropping from the top 6 down towards relegation territory, with only the season end stopping their drop. A good example of "saved by the bell".
    Have spent a lot of money in the window on attacking talent such as Benteke, Andros Townsend and bringing in Loic Remy on loan from Chelsea. On paper there are goals there, though they look suspect elsewhere on the pitch.

Swansea.....I have a feeling this will be the season they go down. Their signings have been pretty "meh", and I dont rate Guidolin all that much, coming from Serie A's mid table.

Anyone else wanna throw in another team?
    Stoke haven't started well, but two of their first 3 fixtures were at Goodison, which is never an easy place to visit, and against Man City, the title favourites.

2. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

No way will Stoke go down. A canny season for them imo.

Sunderland are hardened relegation battlers. Stronger defence now. Weak up front. Ready for another scrap.

West Brom. Time for them to drop.

3. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

You think West Brom?
    Yeah I could see that.

4. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

... as I just commented on another thread, West Brom and Boro looked very poor at the weekend ... personally I think Swansea will be OK ... play good football and do create chances ... plus they also have Fer and Sigurdsson in their midfield who will both way in with some goals - particularly the latter ... pacey wingers in Routledge, Dyer, Barrow and Montero and Llorente is good in the air ... have also just broken their transfer record on an additional forward ... think they carry more goal threat than many of the other likely scrappers ... and if you can't score you will certainly struggle ...

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  5. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I think Boro will kamakazee personally. I have several reasons...

1) I think other contenders like Hull, Burnley, Swansea and Crystal Palace have more recent experience of the PL and/or just look stronger in the games I've seen so far.

2) When I went through all the clubs, I felt there were 17 better teams than them.

3) Home form will be key. From what I've seen so far (granted only 3 games) I think Middlesborough will drop more points at home than the other contenders.

4) Leading on from 3) above their midfield looks dire. Downing and Forshaw are just not good enough. They have Negredo up front but let's see if he can score enough.

5) They stink of piss

6. Skylarker

Skylarker PL High Commissioner

Is this officially 'official'?

7. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Excluding the top teams. Sunderland probably have the best forward out of the rest.

May i present Mr. Defoe.

Im sure even fans of the top teams can acknowledge this fella is half decent.

8. Libby

Libby 9-0

04/05 <grr><grr>

The amount of ****ing leads we threw away that year <doh>

Oh and if I was picking 3 now then I would go for Hull, Burnley & Swansea.

I just hope that we don't get dragged into it <yikes>

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  9. Libby

Libby 9-0

You'll certainly be ****ed were he to pick up a long term injury.

10. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

This my friend is sad but true.

Got victor anchiebe in yesterday as cover.:emoticon-0106-cryin

Libby likes this.

11. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

I'm thinking that Swansea and Southampton may get caught up at the wrong end this season.

12. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

What is the wrong end for a mid-table Liverpool fan? :bandit:

13. StanDMan

StanDMan Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Aye Bod - I have created Relegation watch thread already.
    http://www.not606.com/threads/relegation-watch-2016-17.334297/

Why do you try to hijack ??

I do like relegation battles - because title won't be interesting when Jose is managing & running away with it.

My relegation picks are

Bournemouth & Burnley for last 2 spots.
    18th spot will always be difficult to predict. Atleast 3 or 4 teams go for 18th. Won't be surprised if it is more this year.

14. Skylarker

Skylarker PL High Commissioner

He's better than half decent. He's a clinical goal scorer. Plenty of top teams could do with him this season.

Spurs need a goal scorer tbh. Kane looks like he's a 2 season wonder. Janson looks lost in the big league.

He'd be perfect for Everton with Lukaku too imo.

I'd even have him at Liverpool as back up to our upside down backward reversed number 9.5 system we play.

15. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

He will be the difference to what league we are in next season.

16. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

... he'll be a force in the Championship for sure... :)

17. StanDMan

StanDMan Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Ridiculous, Moyes isn't too bad and he is certainly capable than Big Sam.
    IMHO - Moyes got found out only in Valencia. It is like Pep getting found out in England. New Environment, New league, new beast - No shame in that <ok>

18. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

He wont need to be.

FosseFilberto likes this.
  19. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

.... you mean he'll jump ship? ... bloody typical... :)

20. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

...hmmm think you may have taken my comments a little too seriously ...although it would not be unfair to say that Moyes last two managerial jobs have been pretty disastrous tbh...