1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic "The Nowhere men" ~ Michael Calvin

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Ian Thumwood, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

I was given this book as a Christmas present and have been fascinated by the account of football scouts. It throws up some quite interesting Saints related stories such as Liverpool watching James Ward-Prowse and the expenses only scouts employed by Cortese. However, the broader picture is far more intriguing with scouting split between the "old school" scouts who turn up to watch fancied players perform in matches of a variety of context as those influenced by the "Moneyball" book / film where statistical data is being used to evaluate potential recruits. The author muses on the possible demise of those influenced by statistical data to suggest new signings but also looks at the possible failure to use the data gathered to make an assessment.

I like intelligent football books and I think we have been fortunate in the last couple of years to have had authors look at the game in a fashion that does not insult the readers and offers far more than the usual ghost written autobiography of the current flavour of the month. "The nowhere men" is quite staggering in revealing just how few footballers actually make it to professional level as well as shocking in the manner with which scouts seem to have less job security than managers. Reading this book, it is easy to understand how certain rumours materialise in the press yet it is also baffling insofar that David Moye's recruitment policy at Everton seemed so thorough at Everton yet his tenure at Man Utd after the publication of this book appeared anything but professional by contrast.

I'm about two thirds of the way through this book and can't put it down. There are some nice stories about now -familiar player like Paulo Gazziniga and some of the scouts seems to be interesting characters. I was amazed at just how good Brentford's scouting system was and the book also offers some food for thought on the EP3 coaching system. Wondered if anyone else had been tempted by this book?

2. latviandream

latviandream Well-Known Member

Very good book Ian, I read it last summer. Pretty good summary you've put above, can't think of anything significant you've missed. Would fully recommend more people to read it.