1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Not606 Ipswich Town Starting Eleven Debate

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Nuggets, Aug 2, 2017.

1. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

Yeah he was a great player and who can forget Magic's Hat-Trick against Bolton in the play-offs! Stuff that only dreams are made of!

itfcptc likes this.
  2. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

I'm 31, and the first town game I saw was the 4-3 fa cup classic vs the Blades in I think 2003. To this date, the most exciting Ipswich game I've been to by a country mile. Boy, what a second 45 that was. Insane.

I've seen a lot of absolute guff live under some absolute melts, however to single out a few for praise.....
    * Gio ( obviously ) was unreal watching him dictate and run rings around the league.
    * Darren Bent was a joy.
    * LOVED Kuqi. Wouldn't give you a minutes rest.

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  3. johnnywarksmoustache

One stand out game from your era Westy was against Crewe at Home when we beat them 6-4!! I loved watching the football we played under Big Fat Joe. It was the exact polar opposite of the boring dross that McCarthy dishes up! BFJ had the mentality of if you score 4 we will score 6! Wow that was so refreshing and even if we lost we always scored. Kuqi and Bent were awesome together.

4. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

Loved that game.....

5. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

Best player I've seen live (in a Town shirt) would have to be Reuser or Stewart.. In fact that era had some great players.. Holland, Magic, Wilnis, Barmble, Gaardsoe

Having started watching town in the mid/late 90's I was spoilt during those formative years and never appreciated the players and entertainment we had on offer then.. but the lack of it since certainly makes a stark contrast in the last 15 years

San Diego and itfcptc like this.
  6. johnnywarksmoustache

Scowie was very underated.

7. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

For me the time I stopped enjoying going to watch the Town was funnily enough around the time ME came in.

I was the same Scowey, started going to matches at the start of the Burley era and I thought that's how it was always going to be, good football, played youngsters, bought lower league players, then we had our wheeler dealer in Royle to brought his own spin on things, some cracking games there and then Jim who did very well to keep up the tradition unfortunately after that which is nearly 10 years ago now, the club is nearly unrecognizable.

I can barely think of any memorable games since ME has been in charge and for the 10 years+ before that nearly every game was entertaining. The last 2 seasons I've seen both matches which have been voted the most entertaining of the season and in comparison to bygone days they weren't even that good.

8. itfcptc

One of my favourites in that era was Alun Armstrong, although he didn't play too many games I think he epitomized what we were about back then. Thought he was very underrated and clever player, he often created the space for Stewart to score by his runs

9. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

We could do with 'Super Alun Armstrong' now, he'd be an ideal player to lead the line for us..

Plus he is forever written into Ipswich folklore after his winner against Inter Milan

itfcptc likes this.
  10. Castro Sito

Castro Sito Well-Known Member

Nice to be back! I think?! Here we go for another 10 months of ups and downs!
    Man, defence coach! I'll have to give big Mick a ring! Actually, nah I'm sure that back 4 would do me proud!

11. Westlake33

I remember watching scores in a pub near Bristol and the goals going in that day was absolutely mental. I absolutely LOVED Royle. When we beat Derby 3-2 in 04/05 it was such a game at Portman Road, so damn open. 1-0 down and still piled it on. Think both teams hit the frame of the goal twice too, it was a lotta fun. Royle days were superb until 05/06 when sadly Bent + Kuqi had gone. I thought he'd done well especially in Parkin - who was a goal machine at Swindon but it just didn't happen with us. 04/05 was the season I really got involved and went to quite a few away days.

I know I've always been quite pro Mick on here, but not for one second have I loved the style of play. Even 14/15 when we made the play offs it was horrific, however I loved the battling spirit vs far superior sides we installed. Even bloody Connor Sammon was some use early in the season - though again UGH the thought of him representing us didn't do anything for me. I'd much rather the game be played how I'd play it on a Sunday morning or Saturday pm, get your head up and have a bloody look around!

12. itfcptc

The best game under Royle I remember was the Ipswich vs Sheffield utd a few weeks after the fa cup game which finished 3-2. It was the game after Dale Roberts had died, Pablo got sent off we went 2-0 down and won 3-2 with 10 men the game was electric!! That's what football is about and whilst that was an exceptional game there were many similar to that under Royle.

Every time I hear a match report for town now, the first thing the commentator says is this game will not live long in the memory.

I know Mick is under financial constraints but so was Royle and after him Jim and I still enjoyed going to matches under them. I actually have to force myself to go now.

13. johnnywarksmoustache

Yes you are dead right when you say that BFJ was under severe financial constraints dealing with the wasteful spending of the Burley era! He gave our kids a chance with the likes of Westlake, Richards and Bent in particular coming up from the academy. He was very much in the same situation as McCarthy but the BIG difference between the two philosophies is that BFJ wanted his team to go out and WIN!

itfcptc and San Diego like this.
  14. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

Not sure about me in central defence - I turn slower than the titanic. 1 player I'll give a shout out to is mick Stockwell. Certainly not the most gifted but could give the current squad a lesson in making the best out of your ability and giving 100% in every game

15. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

We've never replaced Magilton, we've had no one who could win the ball and drive forward 25 yards lay it off and get in a position for a return pass, it seems to be a forgotten art at PR.

itfcptc and Bigalreigned like this.
  16. Westlake33

Legwinksi was alright mate ;)

17. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Brilliant Nuggets. I am flattered to be your No 2 Gaffer, tho would be challenged keeping that lot in order!
    Wouldnt it be terrific if we actually organised ourselves to turn up by arrangement, and turned out on the pitch!

Well, I go back to the 60's, and witnessed some great teams, remarkable FA cup & Eufa cup winning teams. Many outstanding player have been mentioned by others. The pairing of big Kev and Allan Hunter gave Robson's fortress Ipswich a Europe wide reputation. Sublime skills of Paul Mariner, and oh Boy, those Dutchmen who mastered our best midfield ever. Arnie Muhren, Frans Thijssen, and, get yer hankies out, I watched Ted Philips & Ray Crawford, power us up to win the title in their 1st top flight season!

In recent years of sad decline, I never fully understand why we cant bid for and keep so many talented players like Gio, Andros, et al, who go on to rip it up elsewhere.

Anyways, our team Nuggets would make up for all the passion, commitment, flair, sense of fun, and cheeky banter and character that has been lacking for so many years. And we would bring the crowd to their feet!

18. johnnywarksmoustache

I place the blame for our demise firmly at the door of Sheepwanks! He oversaw the kamikaze spending on the two stands after only our first season back in the Prem and the sacking of Burley which spelt the end of a wonderful era of attractive attacking football. BFJ did what he could on a shoestring budget and performed miracles despite Sheepshanks! This guy should be ashamed of the many decisions he took while chairman and the huge financial gambles that he took with our club that ultimately drove us into the arms of the Faceless one who is now using us as a vehicle for TAX avoidance! All the hard work that was built up from the Cobbold era has now been vandalised by an offshore TAX trust and Sheepshanks allowed it to happen. <ok>

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  19. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

Someone piss in your cornflakes this morning Warky?

johnnywarksmoustache likes this.
  20. johnnywarksmoustache

Haha No I just cant stand the smug batard! I bet he didn't bother going yesterday, he was too busy with his chums at the FA!