1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The non-Watford football thread

Discussion in 'Watford' started by North North Watford, May 1, 2012.

1. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

Markthehorn never seen them play even though I went to college there. But I'd like to go one day. You can see it is a real effort to survive at that level and from the website you can see they try everything. And with a capacity of 5007, an average attendance under 600, and an ticket at £15 I bet they need every penny. I'd be interested if you go if you could give a little feel for what it was like.

2. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Will probably go along to my local Highland League game - Deveronvale vs Inverurie. The home side are going through a 'period of transition', being in the process of rebuilding their team with youngsters - quite a few of whom I taught at Primary school. A probable away win, but could be a close match if the locals keep up their recent improvement.

On the other hand, there is the prospect of Scottish victory on foreign soil at Twickenham...

kchorn likes this.
  3. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

Seriously if there is one thing that I admire above all else is how the Scots travel with so much hope no matter how many times they get set back. And after they still sing. If all sports fans had a bit more of that it would make the world a happier place :emoticon-0115-inlov.

But when I look at those England replacements: George, M Vunipola, Sinckler, Wood, B Vunipola, Care, Te'o, Anthony Watson.I think the last 20 minutes tomorrow will only go one way :emoticon-0103-cool:

But with the improvement Scotland have made the first half should be interesting.

BB presumably the attendance in the Highland League will be sparse? Although 11C and sunny in some parts sounds quite barmy for that far north

4. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I still have the love for lower league football, probably because of all the early years following Watford. I still find that when I meet someone from Aldershot or Halifax they have a real passion for their team, will really put themselves out to watch them, and raise money to support them. Somehow this is lost when you become successful.

5. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

I think St Albans has had an up turn in gates in recent seasons but it's not that cheap and of course they have a bigger few clubs around!

As for the rugby - think England will win but the Scots are a very good attacking side.

6. Bolton's Boots

Maybe so, but will 20 minutes be enough to repair the damage inflicted in the first 60 minutes? :)

Extremely sparse recently for Deveronvale & I suspect that tomorrow's fixture will attract a meagre 200 or so. The local fans can be fickle - 5 or 6 years ago, when the Vale were one of the top 4 teams in the League, this fixture would have attracted around 750 - and games against the more local teams would attract 1100-1200. Sounds low in comparison to English attendances, but those figures were not bad considering the local population of 3,600.

The best attended match in my time here was 2500 in a Scottish Cup match against Partick Thistle. For a League match, it was 2400 for a title decider in Buckie - last match of the season, with Buckie and Vale level on points. I only managed to get a ticket for that as I worked with the Vale captain.

11C - I might have to take my sunnies, with the amount of white flesh that will be on view in that heat... <laugh>

kchorn likes this.
  7. Markthehorn

Brighton looking good tonight against poor Vydra and co.

8. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

Great game between Wales & Ireland. Could still go either way.

3-0 Brighton. Looks like the top 2 have escaped.

So another trip to the seaside next year.

Hornet-Fez likes this.
  9. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

St Albans Saints 0-1 down to Ebbsfleet. Markthehorn hope it gets better :emoticon-0137-clapp

France beat Italy but the big one to come. And later what a wonder moment if Lincoln could get something. Just a draw to go back to their place would be a miracle but it is the FA Cup. C'mon u Imps <cheers><cheers>

10. Markthehorn

No - they are 3 down!

Leaders dominate on and off the pitch fans wise!

11. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Slav has his Fulham team 0-3 up at leaders Newcastle.

12. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

Well 6 nations all over with a game and a half to go. Well done England but I'm a bit disappointed not to have a big finish next week.

Norwich only manage a draw against Blackburn so no 'manager out' bounce from them.

And ofh just one back for newcastle. They do seem very inconsistent.

Just Lincoln to go for me today. C'mon u imps:emoticon-0157-sun:

13. Markthehorn

Will make the play-offs.

Josh King had quite an eventful game!

14. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

Lincoln 40 mins in and 0-0. They've had a shot on target and Arsenal have 2 yellows. Could it be???????????

15. Bolton's Boots

Ouch - I think we should have sent our football team, they couldn't have done any worse... :(

Never mind, when Independence comes... <laugh>

16. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

To be fair BB the 3 Scottish tries were well earned. And next week you will have something to play for. Get a win and perhaps a bonus point and your world cup draw could prove very much easier.

See Lincoln suffered the old goal on half time. But hopefully their travelling faithful are having a great day

Radio 5: It's really strange to see this at the Emirates. The two sets of supporters can not be a greater contrast. The Lincoln supporters are vibrant and noisy on this great occasion, but the Arsenal section, where there are plenty of empty seats, are effectively sat on their hands.

and it isn't all over till the fat lady sings :emoticon-0100-smile

17. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Unimpressed with Arsenal today. Really hope the Imps manage to get one back.

18. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

So do I. I predicted 4-1 on another board! <ok>

19. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

Best laid plans of canaries and men. 5-0 (80 mins) but they still might get one back :emoticon-0125-mmm:

But FA Cup 6th round for Lincoln is an incredible achievement. Bet their bank account looks better now than ever <cheers>

canary-dave likes this.
  20. Markthehorn

Can concentrate on gaining promotion now - and with a 6 point lead they will feel confident.

In a funny way re-gaining league status will mean more - plus having a million or so in the bank to spend.