1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The non-Watford football thread

Discussion in 'Watford' started by North North Watford, May 1, 2012.

1. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

Haven't checked it yet Frenchie, nobody tipped Lincoln - but Millwall v Leicester was quite split on the tipping.

2. brian_66_usa

brian_66_usa Well-Known Member

Yes same as QPR and they got it reduced by a large amount i think ?

3. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

You've gotta love that boy. <ok>

4. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Reduced from £50m to £8m - but under different circumstances I think. QPR's initial fine was based on them having made a loss of over £70m after relegation from EPL - the FA didn't accept a £60m write-off by the owners, but later changed their minds when the owners showed that they had made efforts by substantially cutting operating costs. I'm not sure that applies to Bournemouth.

5. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

6. Bolton's Boots

Ironic after his performance yesterday...

andytoprankin likes this.
  7. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

If Tottenham get to the FA Cup semi-final. could there be an argument for moving the game from Wembley as it won't be a neutral venue? I think with Spurs' "home" record in Europe this season, they would probably welcome that move!

Markthehorn likes this.
  8. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

BB (in resp to match Cadiz vs Reus) it was a terrible match. Too many Cadiz players thought they were in La Liga with neat back heals -- sadly to the opposition. It is true Reus came looking for a draw and played it well.

Cadiz had a very fast left side winger (I called him Cally) who repeatedly went to the byline only to see the goalkeeper and his forwards get no where near the great cross. There was one player good on the ball (I called him Scully) and a good defender (I called Welbourne). There was no big George and no TC. And there goalkeeper was expert at wasting time (but couldn't remember a Watford keeper who was good at that :cheesy:

It rained and was a bit chilly but a season ticket holder down on his luck sold me his preferente ticket (15 Euros face value). Front row of upper tier not far in from the goal line, not a bad view.

On the way in to the stadium they handed out grey serviettes. No branding just serviettes. No idea why :emoticon-0114-dull:

But I bought as scarf so will have to go again :emoticon-0140-rofl:

Hope it looked better on your stream.

9. Bolton's Boots

Well it looked better than what I'm used to up here (Highland League) - but the crowd's enthusiasm was impressive.

10. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

Interesting that as of course with many spanish games there is no away crowd. However as I saw at sporting Gijon there they had a guy with a megaphone facing the crowd who called and started the chants. Didn't notice that at Cadiz but I was a pitch length away. They did the normal goal kick stuff and had a range of songs. The crowd was evenly divided between the four sides so what you saw was as it was everywhere.

They also have very steep terracing and although mostly no roof (as my soaking proves even in preferente) the stadium is fully enclosed.

But I'd recommend to anyone who hasn't been to visit to a spanish match as an experience.

11. J T Bodbo

J T Bodbo Well-Known Member

Quit unconnected with previous posts.
    On saturday Hartlepool hosted Plymouth. My hat comes off to ANY Plymouth fan who made the journey.

12. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

JT not sure unconnected. It is as you suggest remarkable the distance many do travel. I remember my Uncle Len (not a real uncle, family friend) in the 60s went to every Watford game home and away for 2 seasons. And if the 'orns lost his wife said he was unbearable for a few days. And in those days losses often came one after the other. poor women :emoticon-0101-sadsm

Must admit Watford to/from Everton is the most I've done without an overnight stop. Guess that makes me a whimp compared to what some have done :cheesy:

ps: Here in Spain the economy is much poorer and on average the distances much greater so no great surprise away support is restricted to local derbies. But I do think an away crowd adds so much that I thank all the travelling faithful everywhere.

13. Bolton's Boots

I may have known him then - I did the same for the three seasons leading up to promotion in 1969. Even took in a couple of overseas trips - Malta and Jersey <laugh>

14. Jsybarry

Hope Jersey was warm enough for you. :)

15. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Sutton really holding their own and had good chances.

Arsenal 2 up though which is all they will care about.

16. Bolton's Boots

It wasn't - a mid-week match in January, the week before we drew at Old Trafford in the Cup.

17. Jsybarry

There was just a shot of Matt Le Tissier in the crowd at Sutton. The commentator said to Graeme Le Saux, who is co-commentator, "he's one of your lot, a Channel Islander". I would've loved it if Le Saux had corrected him by saying that he is a proud Jerseyman and that Le Tissier is a Guernsey donkey, but that was unlikely as they were team-mates at Southampton.

andytoprankin likes this.
  18. andytoprankin

A really enjoyable game. They had several chances to score and often defended better than Arsenal. Some super players who have showcased their wares very well. Good luck to them. :)
    Also, bravo to Wenger for playing Sanchez. He showed respect to Sutton, the competition and to the game. <ok><ok>

19. andytoprankin

<laugh> This is the sort of thing that goes over most of our heads. <ok>

20. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Sad to hear the Sutton 2nd goalkeeper has left the club after eating the pie during the match. The scandal was all too much it seems, for him and the club. There were lots of tears it seems. How very sad after such a wonderful day for the club.