1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The non-Watford football thread

Discussion in 'Watford' started by North North Watford, May 1, 2012.

1. North North Watford

North North Watford Active Member

Per Dan's suggestion, I'm creating this thread for all non-Watford football matters.

Thought I'd kick off with the Barmby thing. Is there a clear picture of exactly what he said? Obviously it was about funding, but was he getting his excuses in ("I can't be expected to instantly take us to the Premier League on this budget"), or was he actually slating the owners for not dipping their hands in their pockets?

2. HaslemereKev

HaslemereKev Well-Known Member

They've also sacked the Head of Operations;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-Pearson-sacked-Hull-comment-Nick-Barmby.html

I'd suggest it is Barmby making excuses for not performing maybe as well as the fans had hoped, so trying to deflect the blame. The easy excuse is always to moan about not having the players you want, but how many managers actually do? Not exactly a bright idea to bad-mouth the owners...

3. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

Kev, don't forget that he became manager during the season - it would be interesting to look at the stats between him and Pearson during the season. If he did better, the board may decide that Barmby is someone worth backing as much as they can. If not, they may decide to back him with a certain percentage of the funds that they might be willing to invest. He should also think of the status of the club - historically, I don't think that they've spent much time in the top flight.

4. babyhornetdan

babyhornetdan Well-Known Member

I really fail to see the issue here. He has simply said that he will need investment in the squad if he is to get them promoted. He has not said that the owners are being cheap, or questioning what they have done. If Dyche were to say that we had would need to spend and that Bassini would have to give him some money to spend on those players we would not expect him to be suspended now would we.

5. babyhornetdan

babyhornetdan Well-Known Member

6. geitungur akureyrar

geitungur akureyrar Well-Known Member

Roy Hodgson is England coach. I can understand him. The weakness he has is the players speak like Harry Redknapp and communicating could be a problem. Will he throw out John Terry and the other older footballers who think they a managing by committee.

7. Norwayhornet

Norwayhornet Well-Known Member

I must admit to not caring much about Hull or Barmby

8. HaslemereKev

Not really sure what is going on with Barmby, but just saying he wants more money to invest doesn't sound enough for him to be suspended, so not sure if something else is going on there! I would have thought the wage bill would be quite high, so maybe they want to get some off the wage bill first.

As for Hodgson... I don't mind this at all. I haven't really liked the way Harry has whored himself to the press all the time. I know they simply ask questions, but he is the Spurs manager and should act as such! I think Roy deserves his shot and that the fans and players get behind him, and not have a repeat of his time at Liverpool

9. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

I think Hdogson with his International experience and not being so close to certain players is a better option.

Ok not perfect but the main reason for the press wanting Redknapp was that so he could motivate the players.

Well personally I feel if highly paid pampered footballers need motivation to play with pride for their country then you have to wonder if we've got the right sort of squad...

Ofcourse the quality might not be there but there is no excuse for not showing you care.

10. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

England needs a shake up and most of the old guard out. Terry is a bad person too. Let's hope he has the balls to make a lot of changes, I think that is what is needed.

11. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I see that Calamity is looking for a new club.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17900036

From what I can see Barmby said that he had no money to spend in January, whereas the owners said that he did. So one of them is telling porkies.

12. zen guerrilla

zen guerrilla Well-Known Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17911257

Malky Mackay has a good idea and it does not involve pinching Watford FC staff or transfer targets. I know young men like their gadgets but some of this social media malarky goes too far.

13. North North Watford

As far as I can tell, the ban is only until the end of Cardiff's season. Whatever you think about social networking I think that's extremely sensible: it makes perfect sense for players to be shielded from the hype/pressure/wind-up merchants at this particular point. I think it would be a bad idea for a manager to ban it permanently though: that should be down to the FA or individual leagues.

14. wear_yellow

wear_yellow Well-Known Member

What cracks me up is the media response to Woy Hodgson getting the England job. Best was Alan Green bleating on about the FA hiring an average manager - well that sounds a perfect match to me, an average manager for a very average team. At least it will mean the hacks not making England nailed on favourites to win the Euro's and the next World Cup...

15. North North Watford

That from an average commentator.

16. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Alan Green is Nothern Irish..I'm even surprised he really cares that much about England but guess he does as clearly he'd love a free holiday to Brazil for example at the expense of the taxpayer (BBC)

Probably cares more about the national side than most of the players which is part of the trouble.

17. HaslemereKev

I think Hodgson is a good appointment, with his experience. He takes an average team and makes them over-achieve... just what we are, and what we need!

Ince has also came out and said Hodgson has given players a worse hair-dryer treatment at Inter than Fergie ever gave him at Man Utd.

18. North North Watford

There is no doubt that Hodgson is qualified to build a team for subsequent tournaments (despite the coverage he has received from the press generally, and in particular a newspaper which in the past has counted down the days until certain 15-year old girls became "legal". It's up to others to decide what to call them: my word begins with "p").

His problem will be getting enough out of the team at short notice for Euro 2012, which in turn will have a big effect on the atmosphere in which he and his players will prepare for the World Cup.

19. geitungur akureyrar

geitungur akureyrar Well-Known Member

The FA are clever. If they had given the job to Harry Redknapp England would be the best in the world and not to win EM2012 would be a failure. With Roy Hodgson you are already talking yourselfs to failure and it will be accepted because "Harry would have done better".

20. NZHorn

NZHorn Well-Known Member

Hodgson seems like a very good choice for England. Look what he did for Switzerland - but then the Swiss team wasn't full of egos the size of planets.

On another topic I see that Danny Webber has been released by Leeds.