1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The New Timeform Corner

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Ron, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Nice hands and heels win. What was the quality of the opposition Cyc? Interestingly, hasn't earned a Timeform "p" or "P" or "+"

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  2. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

It wasn't all that hot to be honest Ron, the $1,000,000 G1 Golden Rose was another story though. The pace wasn't on so it didn't suit him.

3. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Big strong horse Cyc - make a lovely chaser ;)

4. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

5. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

6. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

This is hardly the most incisive piece of journalism from Timeform.

I do not think that most followers of the game need their assistance in recognising Jack Hobbs. I am probably not the only person who already had The Tin Man in their notebook from a couple of earlier races; hopefully he and Twilight Son will provide us with some good sprints next year, except where the Aussies or the Yanks come and plunder them!

Why would anyone want to be following Spark Plug, a horse that has done sweet FA?

Having already concluded that Marcel showed a smart turn of foot (hence a good Timeform speed figure) but his distaff side is packed with sprinters, no real surprise that neither he nor Foundation have contracted in the Derby market.

The debuts of two sons of high class mares, Zarak (Zarkava’s first runner) and Midterm (Midday’s Galileo colt), at least give us something to look forward to during the long winter nights.

7. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm afraid sometimes they state the obvious because it's their opinion as well.

8. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

9. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Timeform Jury No Win No Fee for February

Interesting but I think the net profit they show should incorporate the cost of the service

10. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

11. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Difference of opinion makes horse races, so not much surprise that I find some reasons to quibble with the Timeform view of the Classic trials at Newmarket and substitute Newbury.

Connections may be minded to throw Taqdeer into the 2000 Guineas but he must be really catching the pigeons at home as his victory at Chelmsford did not give me any great impression of greatness. I would still think that Massaat would be Hamdan Al Maktoum’s best prospect of upsetting the Coolmore hotpot.

I liked Besharah as a two-year-old but the only thing she gained in my notebook after the Fred Darling was a question mark. She was friendless is the betting (5/4 out to 2/1) – unusual for a fancied one from the Haggas yard – and she ran nearly a stone below her juvenile form, immediately signalling to me that she may not have trained on. I hope they let her take her chance on the 1st of May but if she is out with the washing at Newmarket, I expect she will be off to the paddocks.

I do agree with them about Magical Memory: he did not have to run to his best 2015 form to win the Abernant and there are more races to be won by him this season.

This year’s Lockinge could be quite competitive, so Mahsoob might be involved in the shake up if allowed to take his chance but there are one or two others that I would be looking at for the winner (if they show up).

12. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

This might interest those interested in the theoretical aspects of jockey riding styles

Cyclonic likes this.
  13. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

It would be interesting if they could give a run down on all riders.

14. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think this is work in progress Cyc and it will be incorporated in their packages

Cyclonic likes this.
  15. Bustino74

Bustino74 Thouroughbred Breed Enthusiast

I feel Moore has changed over the last 5 years. He used to be far more like Spencer but is far more adaptable now.

16. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

17. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

18. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Ratings Update from Weekend

Caravaggio extract
    Caravaggio came into Sunday's race on the back of a most impressive success in the Coventry Stakes at Royal Ascot and maintained his unbeaten record with the minimum of fuss, becoming the first horse since Fasliyev in 1999 to do the Coventry/Phoenix double and consolidating his position as the best two-year-old colt of the season so far. Indeed, an unchanged Timeform rating of 123p suggests it will be extremely difficult for any rivals hoping to surpass him in that regard and it wouldn't be a surprise if he wasn't capable of better still, such was the ease of his victory at the weekend. He's reportedly set to stay at six furlongs for now, setting up a clash with the awesome Queen Mary winner Lady Aurelia in the Prix Morny at Deauville.

(Lady Aurelia is rated 127)

19. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Timeform’s ratings are clearly some sort of a joke this year. Solow has been stood in his box all season, Postponed will have to win the Arc by half the track to get a rating in the 130s and what has Jack Hobbs won this year?

I would not rate any of the three year olds above 125. I am of the view that, given a better ride, Ribchester would have won the Sussex Stakes, as he had far too much to do in the last furlong. There should be nothing between Galileo Gold, The Gurkha and Awtaad as they all seem to run the same race each time they meet. I cannot remember seeing Shalaa – is that his two year old rating?

In the International Classification, Postponed is the top-rated European horse with a figure of 124, ahead of Fascinating Rock and Harzand on 123.

When I saw the title of this link, I was expecting a page full of pictures of foxy fillies – the two legged kind. I would not touch the horseracing form of Shergar Cup day with a barge pole.

20. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I must admit I was very surprised to see Jack Hobbs up there. Shows what an average lot they are