1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The New Timeform Corner

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Ron, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Here is the revamped Timeform Corner for anyone interested in Timeform opinions, ratings etc

Timeform Features

For your Tracker (See Latest Link below)

Timeform Live Radio

Timeform's Top European Flat horses

Timeform's Top North American Horses

Timeform's Top Novices

Timeform's Top Chasers & Hurdlers

Plus

Timeform Informative Articles

Timeform All Time Ratings

Australian Timeform

I will notify significant ratings update by providing a link

If there is a big race thread I will either paste the Timeform view(s) in or insert a direct link

The old Timeform Corner

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
    Cyclonic likes this.
  2. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

3. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

Not too sure they got it right with Qualify though Ron. They mentioned that the filly was bred for stamina, something I think her breeders would not have given too much thought to. Sure they'd want her to get over some ground, but if staying was all they were interested in, why put her dam to Fastnet Rock? He was one hell of a sprinter who failed badly at his only attempt beyond 7 furlongs. His 6 wins all came at 6 furlongs and less and his only 2 G1 wins were at 5 and 5.5 furlongs. He was sent to England for the Golden Jubilee and the July Cup but he fell ill and was then retired. His sire Danehill ran a nice third in the 2000 Guineas, but found fame on the track when they returned him to the shorter races. He then made off with the Haydock Sprint Cup and the Cork and Orrery Cup at Royal Ascot. The latter race later upgraded to the G1 Diamond Jubilee. And of course Danehill's dad was the famed Danzig, a flying machine over the sprint journey, who's track career was cut short in it's prime. On face value, I find it hard to believe that in spite of what the article states, her breeders were not looking for a real injection of speed. On breeding one could be forgiven for thinking that she should not have won a G1 at that distance.

I hope the person who wrote the article for Timeform isn't in anyway connected with the assessment of horses performances.

P.S. I couldn't resist the dig. <laugh>

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  4. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

"We make no secrets of the fact we’ve taken a doubly positive view of Time Test’s rating, though we reckon it’s justified. Here, we believe, is the horse with more chance than any of being able to take down Golden Horn later in the season."

See here for more

5. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

6. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

By Timeform -- published 30th June 2015

Current No 1 in Europe is Golden Horn, trained by John Gosden, rated 132p
    Links in Original Post

7. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Tony McFadden has added three horses that ran at last week’s Newmarket July Meeting to his My Timeform tracker.

8. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

9. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

10. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Order of St George top 3yo. Treve update. More here

11. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

I know it was a tremendous performance by Order Of St George but Bondi Beach also beat him earlier in the season on Good ground so whilst I understand the high rating, should he that far ahead of Bondi Beach? That race was back in June and BB won hands and heels that day, although it was a short head win for BB, Heffernan never got too serious.

Also it's quite blatant the lads were out for a touch with Order of St George on Irish Leger day (backed from 3/1 into 5/4) so I think that was a big factor in him taking part here rather than Doncaster. The fact they knew they were going to win the Irish one for definite and knew BB would possibly take the Doncaster classic.

The pair look very closely matched to me although OOSG ran 200ths of a better time on an easier surface last weekend rather than Bondi Beach did over the same CD in June on good to firm ground.

Either way, both look excellent horses and are bound to rack up a number of big race wins between them. Ratings are only a person/people's opinion and my opinion is they are pretty evenly matched.

12. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

13. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

14. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Amusing quote from Timeform

"Though as a rule it’s best to treat Aidan O’Brian’s post-race assessments of his best horses as marketing sound-bites, the suggestion that Air Force Blue is the best two-year-old he’s trained does appear to be reflected in reality."

15. Cyclonic

He's a big mother who shows loads of promise. Guineas day is a long way off yet and who knows what will come out of the woodwork between now and then. I don't know too much about the form over there, how good was the rest of the field. The run of Emotionless can be written off, but were the rest much chop? I'm not saying that the horse isn't all that he's cracked up to be, it's just that he has a long way to go before he can rightfully be classed as something special. A lot of horses have won the Dewhurst in sensational fashion and then been lauded as the next super star and not lived up to expectation. There are only a handful of horses in every decade who go on to be rated among the very best of all time. Will he be another Sea The Stars or a Frankel? AOB says he's probably the best two year old he's ever had. It would be nice if he ends up joining the two horses just mentioned. Maybe the more knowledgeable on the forum can offer up some other AOB two year olds of the past to compare him too.

16. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

His previous best was Johannesburg

" A title held for nearly 15 years by Johannesburg (127 as a juvenile) has been wrested away on the power of Saturday's performance.

Link to article

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    Cyclonic likes this.
  17. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

British Champions Day: How do the Group 1s on BCD stack up? Article here

18. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

19. Cyclonic

The Godolphin 3 year old Exosphere is quite an animal Ron. He's in the usual Dark Blue and settles second last.

20. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Wow very nice Cyc - reminds me of the withering runs of Zarkava up the Longchamp straight <ok>

Cyclonic likes this.