1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Maths

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Cookie-6262, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Cookie-6262

Cookie-6262 Well-Known Member

I think I'm right in saying that due to our goal difference unless Leeds better our result next weekend we have made the top six before going to Hillsborough... Leeds are home to Norwich we are home to Brentford!

2. fulham traveller

fulham traveller Well-Known Member

Yes correct, last time we were in the driving seat we lost the next 2. Let's hoping for a scrappy win over brentford

3. Cookie-6262

Cookie-6262 Well-Known Member

You obviously don't want to rely on other teams and I'm hoping we beat Brentford to confirm it ourselves but I do think Leeds have a tough game in Norwich and wouldn't be surprised if they dropped points!

4. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

Norwich are a little hit and miss - they looked pretty ordinary against us, but they played well against Brighton.

We need to focus on doing it ourselves against Brentford and Wednesday. Any help is just a bonus.

2whitestripes likes this.
  5. Fulham COYW

Fulham COYW Well-Known Member

Brentford are on good form so I'm not trying to keep calm and not get ahead of myself. Should be a great game and great atmosphere and I'm pleased we have a cushion of a further game just in case.

6. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

You're entirely right, COYW: we shouldn't start counting our chickens. That said, I suspect we're the team that everyone is most worried about. I really do have a good feeling about the next month or so.

7. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

I am always nervous relying on results in derby games - Brentford are one of the few teams left in the league with something to play for against us (i.e. bragging rights).

Are we a better team than Brentford? Yes, we are. Does that mean anything on any given day? No, and we need to be at our best to get the result we need.

8. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

For sure it's a big game for the Bretford fans. But for the Brentford players? Apart from salvaging a bit of pride because of the way we bossed them at Griffin Park, what have they to play for? Nope this is ours to lose or as the Gaffer will be telling the lads, "you snooze, you lose".

9. Captain Morgan

Bizarrely, one of the best things about last weekend was the fact that we went behind so early against Huddersfield. The way we came back so strongly shows the resilience currently in the side. There's the potential, of course, for things to go wrong in the last couple of games, or - if we get there - in the Fresh Bagels themselves, but if something unfortunate does happen, I trust this group of players at this moment to rise to the challenge and give themselves the best possible chance of putting things right. And it's all in our hands, we're not dependent on anyone doing us any favours.

10. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

Reports say that Newcastle has been raided by the tax man over allegations of fraud and transfer irregularities. And apparently their managing director arrested.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39716009

Speculating, but could this lead some sort of sanction? Points deduction or dumped down a League or two as per Glasgow Rangers? Thereby opening up a promotion spot?

11. Fulhaman

Fulhaman Well-Known Member

I have only just noticed this as, not surprisingly, it's not widely reported out here and I was just wondering that C58. I don't know if the FA would consider this in the same light as the SFA did Glasgow Rangers. I know they penalise clubs for going into administration but this isn't like that. I'm wondering what, apart from brining the game into disrepute, they could charge the clubs with. And would that constitute a serious enough offence for being relegated down a few divisions. A hefty points deduction would almost certainly doom Newcastle next season - and West Ham come to that.

One other thing - would the FA be in a position to take action prior to the start of next season - these legal matters takes ages so it would seem unlikely as to jump the gun would open up the FA to all sorts of action if for any reason either club had no case to answer in the end.

Cottager58 likes this.
  12. Captain Morgan

Call me a cynic, but I suspect the FA won't give Newcastle or West Ham an automatic relegation, no matter what. They are the kind of big clubs (with big, income generating stadia) that the powers that be like to see in the top division. If it was, say, Brighton or Reading - or for that matter, us - there would be more chance of that kind of punishment if it turns out they are guilty.

Cottager58 likes this.