1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Magic of the Cup

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by QPR999, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed that Plymouth can old out for another 10 mins at Anfield.

2. Kilburn

Well done Plymouth - can you imagine our lot going to Anfield?

3. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

Does that draw mean that the mighty hoops, are now offically the worst

Its good to be the best at something

4. Kilburn

Plymouth keeper Luke McCormick played really well, commanding his goal area with very assured hands. Was not aware of this side of his life. Very sad story - nice he was allowed the opportunity to eventually redeem himself.

Plymouth re-sign McCormick after releasing him five years ago following prison spell
    By Andy James

Published: 20:01 GMT, 9 May 2013 | Updated: 20:02 GMT, 9 May 2013

Luke McCormick has re-joined Plymouth Argyle on a one-year deal after being released from prison last June for causing the death of two children by dangerous driving.

The goalkeeper made 15 appearances for Oxford at the end of the season after playing for Truro City after his release from prison.

McCormick made 157 appearances for the Home Park club between 2001 and 2008, and will donate a significant sum of money and give his time to support a local children’s charity.

please log in to view this image

Back in the game: Luke McCormick in action for Oxford United this season

Argyle chairman James Brent believes the deal will allow McCormick chance at rehabilitation, saying: 'Although Luke made a dreadful mistake with unthinkable consequences, he has served his time and is totally remorseful.

'While I respect others who have alternative views, from a moral standpoint, the Board and I think Luke is entitled to rehabilitation.
    'John Sheridan wanted to sign him and the club is totally supportive of that.'

please log in to view this image

Back again: McCormick in his first spell at the club

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2322121/Plymouth-sign-Luke-McCormick-prison-spell.html

5. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Clearly the FA Cup is now a dying horse being well and truly flogged by the media and TV.
    Growing up it was THE glamour competition and many fans wanted to win it ahead of the league even.
    Cup final day was such a massive deal with kids and adults alike, me included, sitting glued to the TV all day from around 10am.
    Unfortunately those days are gone due to the glamour attached to the premier league and of course the champions league.
    It's hard for people of my generation to accept, but the FA Cup is now just a secondary competition along with the league cup, which itself lost a lot of its importance years ago.
    Consequently coaches field weakened sides and most ties are an anti climax.
    I don't like it but it's just the way it is.

6. Hoops Eternal

Hoops Eternal Well-Known Member

Indeed, the FA cup was the prestige competition. Like you, I used to watch the coverage of the final from start to finish and it didn't matter who the two finalists were, it was a special day.
    Then in later years we would get together with friends for a few beers and more often than not a BBQ, again special days and great memories.

7. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

Magic indeed, Terry sent off :-D

8. 1982_Ranger

1982_Ranger Well-Known Member

It's been on the decline for a while now, but watching various highlights, I noticed Norwich, Huddersfield and Cardiff grounds were all empty, which I thought was a shame. There were probably others too.

Maybe if they got rid of 4th place for Champions League and gave the spot to the FA Cup winner, everyone might start taking it seriously again.

9. Ninj

Ninj Well-Known Member

Cardiff had an 11.30 kick off time. Fulham fans would not have been able to get to the ground if they lived in London and relied on the trains.

10. Kilburn

Wolves 2-0 up at Anfield with 25 mins to play - Costa is some playmaker for them, full of energy with his runs.

I wonder if Liverpool can recover from this? Perhaps Klipperty Klopp, like us, has decided to concentrate on the league?

No matter the eventual outcome here, I only wish that one day we could turn tis kind of performance in an FA Cup match away from home against a big club.

Sturridge now on to try and save the day for Liverpool.

11. deano58

deano58 Well-Known Member

The FA cup used to be the things of dreams,laced with magic,folklore giant killings by minnows and every man and his dog watched it.How times have changed,no magic,weakened teams by all and sundry..nowadays no one gives a hoot,i had to think twice who won it last may! When i was younger i could name all the winners from the 60s to present day and like i said earlier i struggle to name the last 5 winners.and sadly imo should be taken off the fixture list.its Dead.

12. acricketer

acricketer Well-Known Member

It'll be magic for Sutton if they can hang on for another 5 mins!

13. terryb

terryb Well-Known Member

Not a bad weekend for non-league football!

Lincoln & Sutton in the last sixteen. That is three Championship sides that have been beaten by level 5 teams this season!

14. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

It will, but it was essentially a Leeds youth team.
    The FA cup is becoming a joke.

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  15. Hoops Eternal

Hoops Eternal Well-Known Member

And we weren't one of them for a change.

16. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

As a Sutton-born laddo, I have to say that I'm delighted.

rangercol and Hoops Eternal like this.