1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

'The Line' Has Returned!!

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by daztoc, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Blacker-than-Knight

2. leez

leez Well-Known Member

prob looking at the table its going to be sheff wed , huddesfield with reading and leeds ... got some tough away games .... its games like the derby fullham and wolves need to be won ...

yes ..i not saying that most of these can get automatic promotion ... i was meaning they can put a huge spanner in the works as they are half decent teams .. got some tough away games ...just look at wolves not a bad side but near the bottom ...mad need to be really on the ball

3. Toon_Man_Sam1

Toon_Man_Sam1 Well-Known Member

I read the link and it has really made me think, about the financials,

Negatives - TV money - Prize money

Positives - Merchandise - Ticket sales - membership sales - Transfer income - Smaller wage budget - Parachute payments

I know the two negatives outweigh the positives, but does anyone really think we will be making a loss as a result of this year in the championship? I am intrigued to see the financials to see how this has worked out. £30m profit in the summer, massive parachute payments and most games have been sold out, every away game I believe (not that we profit from that)

Next year, potential TV money, PL Money, Potentially a more viable option for sponsors? a harmonious Newcastle with Rafa in charge with prospects of competing will surely increase the chances for potential commercial deals who are willing to spend more money?

All in all I think financially we should be doing very well, which makes me question WHY DIDNT WE GET TOWNSEND!

4. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

I'm fine with it and as it was when people were being silly about Pardew, sometimes its just not possible. That may well be because we won't pay what they want but I think its more likely the two in question, McCarthy and Townsend, both managers wanted to keep the players and openly said so. Obviously we'd have had other options but perhaps he didn't feel it was worth it if he couldn't get the two he wanted.

If we don't get out of this league its because Rafa has done a poor job, not because we didn't sign two nice to haves in the window. I do think we are a bit under strength at number 10 and midfield in general for Rafa's one and only system, but I wouldn't say season derailing under strength. Its nice to sign when you are in a position of strength, its a proven tactic to seal the deal.

Look there are no excuses for Rafa, he has had enough to resource to get out of this league, I think we will. Perhaps not in the style we would like, but just on players alone we should get it done. I can see why he fancied Townsend and McCarthy. Two mid table PL players would be huge right now, and of course they'd also be useable next season.

A midfield of McCarthy, Shelvey, Ritchie, Townsend plus a number 10 (Diame?) would have been very strong.

Perhaps I'm wrong and Rafa is being used just like those before him. The soundbites were of course identical "I'm confident we'll get something done" etc. Personally though I believe he has assessed it and thought, "I'll keep my money for a big summer unless I can get genuine PL class, I'd be disappointed in myself if I can't get this set of players out of the Championship - probably as champions"

Henry Boy likes this.
  5. Toon_Man_Sam1

Toon_Man_Sam1 Well-Known Member

The previous promotion campaign under Houghton in fresh in a lot of fans memories and its very easy for fans to try and compare the two! When looking back a few years the negative memories appear to subside and the bad results are forgotten, the points total, the joey bartons, carroll, Nolan's and lovenkrands are remembered.

I think peple expect Rafa who has a far superior team and is meant to be a far superior manager to come in and waltz the league. This is a different league to last time, the championship is more competitive which is compounded by the fact that Villa have spent over £70m and are 14th!

Rafa needs to change it up, I know he loves this system and he wont change it, but some 442 action lets try blow teams away, lets get two or 3 goals up ASAP and then take it easy for the rest of the game. Start playing 150% for 45 mins and 50-75% in the second half.

6. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

A
    I think this is right, I think people expected us to walk it and I still think, once the dust settles, we'll realise we kind of did. Right now we're at the end of a blip, it always feels a bit tense (does nobody remember the two dozen or more blips Pards and Macca subjected us all to?!!).

However, if not for Brighton's exceptional form and a very unfortunate piece of timing that saw Gayle, Shelvey, Mitrovic, Diame and Atsu all out at the same time (more or less), we'd be on around 65-70 points and about 15 points clear of second, 20 of third!!! But football just doesn't work that way, so here we are. That said you talk about blowing teams away - we already have on at least four occasions. That's why we have +33 GD! I mean, that's an insane goal difference, look up and down the leagues for proof of how good that is. Our CF has scored 20, on top of a few from Ritchie, Diame and Mitrovic.

At this level, we need our best players playing in our best tactic. Under Rafa, our identity is 4-2-3-1. I just hope if we go up we spend a fck load of cash sorting out some serious problem areas. We'll need at least 5 quality players when we're a PL outfit.

7. Henry Boy

Henry Boy Active Member

I'm sure we have a better points tally now than we did at this stage back in 09/10.

8. daztoc

daztoc Well-Known Member

That's not the impression I get from a couple of interviews he's given recently. Rafa has made it pretty clear it's down to Charney and Ashley to sort transfers. He just identifies the players. Face it lads, Ashley is starting his antics again. A leopard never changes it's spots. Rafa will walk in the summer, mark my words!!

9. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It was tongue in cheek as we seem to treat Rafa as a god and Pardew as a twat. To be honest though I wouldn't read much into this January transfer window. Proof of Ashley support for the project and competence of Charnley will come in Summer, particularly if we do get promoted, as the spend required then is almost a different order of magnitude and we don't really have anyone to sell that is going to fetch huge transfer fees this year (apart from Haidara - note: that was sarcasm)

leez likes this.
  10. Lord Jonjomort

Sadly, again it's a waiting game. We'll know by September 1st what club this is without doubt. I wonder if the non-spend, or value for money efforts, has another motive given our financials get published in April.

I've read the odd rumbling about us being for sale. I can't be bothered to look again - what were Ashley's words in that "carthorse" interview? I'm sure he said it wouldn't be sold til THIS Summer (reading betwixt the lines).

11. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If he was going to sell us that would be the best time (for him) as long as we get promoted.

12. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

All this speculation. Not a single quote from Rafa complaining or one shred of evidence Ashley has intervened.

I just don't see any big drama.

13. daztoc

daztoc Well-Known Member

I predict that IF we go up, Ashley will spend the square root of **** all. People talking about £100 million spends are just delusional. He will, yet again, take a gamble and spend the absolute bare minimum that he feels he needs to that will keep us up. NUFC really, really isn't a big financial deal in Mike Ashleys business portfolio. Its huge sums of money for 'us' but its just a play thing for him. This is the guy that gambled £46 million on Tesco shares just as they were falling rapidly and supposedly lost £300 million gambling on HBOS shares.

We are, always were, and always will be a free advertising vehicle for SD................ nothing more.

leez likes this.
  14. daztoc

daztoc Well-Known Member

Rafa has too much class to complain........................... Ashley NEVER shows his hand where NUFC are concerned.

Its history that raises the red flag for me. Ashley just will not learn from his countless mistakes. Why would this time be any different? I hope I'm wrong................. but I fear that I'm right!!

leez likes this.
  15. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

I think he'll spend what he thinks is enough for survival. I worry that he doesn't want Rafa in charge long term and is meddling to create a constructive dismissal situation like with Keegan, i.e. make it so Rafa walks. As for Ashley's share purchases, he's done more than okay over the years but I'm sure he's lost occasionally.

16. daztoc

daztoc Well-Known Member

I don't doubt that Ashley has made a few quid over the years with his share dealings. The point I am making is that people seem to think that he won't gamble with NUFC PL status if we go up, because the financial 'risk' is too great. But that is clearly not the case. The guy is a born gambler. He gambles huge sums of money and we are just another gamble.

I also think he is looking to 'piss off' Rafa and short change him this summer in the hope that he will walk. He'll save £5 million a year, get in a far cheaper replacement and go back to taking a gamble on 'young talent '

It's no coincidence to me that Ashley has been nowhere near the club all season until we are looking like a good bet to go up. Then suddenly up he pops and starts meddling again. The guy just can't help himself. People that think he has learnt his lessons or fundamentaly changed are going to be left disappointed IMHO.

17. Lord Jonjomort

He did say that he had targets and he was surprised he didn't get them. To be completely fair, that's POSSIBLY a dig at Charnley and/or Ashley, depending what happened behind the scenes. It's also possibly just frustration at the January window.

The media headlines of "FURIOUS RAFA MAY QUIT IN THE SUMMER" is just sh!t-stirring nonsense. Well, not nonsense - like Conte, Guardiola, Mourinho, Pochettino and Koeman he MAY quite in the Summer. He just probably won't.

Sensibly, I'd imagine Charnley has talked to him and explained why. Rafa will have seen this a thousand times. He got undermined by a DOF at Liverpool and carried on. No big drama, but the Summer will be interesting. As always, only time will tell.

18. Hung Drawn and Quartered

Hung Drawn and Quartered Well-Known Member

"FURIOUS RAFA MAY QUIT IN THE SUMMER"

so Rafa's upset ?, he knows more about the turmoil in British politics than he's letting on I see

19. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

Because he's s **** that left and I'm pleased