1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Jewell Ultimatum...

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM, Sep 16, 2012.

1. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

Paul Jewell has been told to get Ipswich into the top ten by the end of November or face the sack.

Read more: http://www.ipswich.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=293466#ixzz26dHRakHK

Seems about right to me although i'd hope Evans will look at Clegg also to take a fair share of the blame.

I don't believe that PJ has not been successful on purpose so i won't be joining in on the childish abuse and name calling, however i do believe he will have to go soon unless there is a massive turn around (which can happen in football) but i doubt there will.

Follow the town UP or DOWN....................................oh for some UPS...

2. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

Knowing our luck he will do just enough to keep his job like he did last year after the Barnsley game. We are stumbling from mediocrity to disaster with this ****ing clown in charge. I hope Wolves and Charlton both Tonk us! I thought I would never want my team to lose but if it means getting this useless dumb **** out of my pub then so be it!

3. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

I can't see him lasting until the end of November. The damage will be well and truly done by then.

where is the Clegg ultimatum?

4. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Just watching McCarthy make a complete tit of himself in the Reading goal. Dire.

5. DUNDEE BLUE

DUNDEE BLUE Member

I have to agree with you Weighty in that this shouldn't become a personal vendetta against PJ .

He came to a big club with a great history amidst a lot of problems and crap left behind by previous manager and i really think he is a decent bloke who bit off more than he could chew with the rubbish he inherrited and unfortunately with the current financial restraints fair play etc he is simply not up to the job .

But as i say it would be easy with all the unrest and current situation to start making it personal against PJ . He is probably doing his best and there are a few others at the club who should be shouldering some of the flack

6. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Can't help thinking that a different manager could do better with what we've got though Dundee. PJ has swapped using flair players like Carson/JET for workhorses like Murphy. If we don't have the players in the team to worry our opponents then it gives them full licence to attack us without fear off being caught out.

7. Rushmere

Rushmere Member

JWM - sorry mate but I can't go along with that at all. I certainly don't want to get 'tonked' by Wolves, Charlton or anyone else. I am as p'd off as you are mate but I will never hope that my team lose - under any circumstances.

Personally, I don't think Jewell is the right man for the job. I don't think we have enough players who are capable of rolling their sleeves up and playing with some pride (even if it's only their own pride they're concerned about) and I think that Clegg is not doing us any favours.

That said, and Redknapp apart, I don't see the point of changing manager now. I don't think we will be getting any more players (of any quality) so we're stuck with what we have. I can't see Clegg going anywhere. The reality is that however much we shout and scream our disapproval nothing is likely to change unless the club decides it will.

All I can do is turn up every week and do my bit from the terraces. That will never include wanting my team to lose though.

8. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

I'll never want to see Ipswich lose......................

9. johnnywarksmoustache

Rushy I am just completely gutted at the way things are right now. Of course I don't want us to lose any game but we need to get Jewell out ASAP!

10. DUNDEE BLUE

DUNDEE BLUE Member

Thats partly my point SD . I also think the same but i'm sure he's trying his best and he's simply not up to it .

My one critisism tho would be he should recognise his inadequecies and call it a day along with his mucker clegg

11. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Rushmere, you say we can shout and scream but it wont change anything and Evans will stick by Clegg and Jewell so you will continue to support the team. That is bloody stupid because its that kind of attitude that will be our downfall, we need fans to vote with their feet, that way Evans will have to take note and make changes!

12. Hoppersblue10

Hoppersblue10 Well-Known Member

I think it is time for some vocal/visual demonstration of our dissatisfaction, before & after the game, it is high time that Evans/Clegg/jewell started to hear & see we are not happy.

During the game give our team 100% support, I for one want rid of clegg & jewell but would never wish us to lose for this process to be speeded up...

13. King_of_Portman_Rd

King_of_Portman_Rd Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

"speeded" now I don't want to come across as the gramma police but you really 'could do better'

14. HangingHog FC

HangingHog FC Member

Anal Alert........

15. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

<laugh>.

16. Guru of Ipswich

Guru of Ipswich Well-Known Member

I can't see us getting out of this relegation battle, in a way i hope we do go down because then we will really know ME's extent of backing the club. As for change at the club, I don't think PJ is the man for us, but then again i truly believe the root cause of our problems is Clegg and any manager would struggle with him in charge so if there is a change i want him to go first!

17. tractor bhoy

tractor bhoy Well-Known Member

Firstly, I think the worst thing a fan can do is hope for their team to get beaten. Luckily it appears to be mainly from fans who no longer go to games so hopefully it wont affect the match itself.
    I also cant blame Jewell for sacrificing flair with the likes of Murphy, as criticised in an early post. We were regularly on the end of batterings and he brought in a player who on the whole has managed to tighten us up. I by no means am a fan of Murphy and we are still not tight defensive but he does add height and extra strength to a fairly flimsy squad.
    Im not going to slag off Jewell either. I can actually see logic behind 90% of the things he has done whilst at the club although some have ultimately turned out to be poor decision (Stockdale recall clause being an obvious failing) . I am convinced that he has been let down by the heirarchy at the club and some of our most recent decisions are baffling. I am certain that someone failed him in not getting in a replacement for Delaney, as no matter how incompetent you think Jewell may be, I am sure he would have known he needed another option or 2.
    The Taylor/ Davies scenario also makes little sense. Both nearing the end of their contracts yet we wont pay £700k for our number 1 target yet will reportedly spend over double that on some else. It really does not make sense.
    Based on the two home games I have seen live this season, I am also fairly happy that if he does leave, it will be with the nucleus of a decent team for the next manager.
    Loach has done well, Creswell, Chambers or Smith (not both) Hyam, Drury, Luongo (short term admittedly) Taylor, Martin, JET(potentially) can all do very well for us. Ainsley looked promising in the one match I have seen and Hewitt is highly rated. As stated already I think Murphy does a job, although not my favourite and Scotland can make an impact aswell. The jury on Chopra is still firmly out for me and if we had of signed the player he was 4 or 5 years back then I am sure we would be in a much better position.
    From the games I have seen this season we are also actually playing decent football and if you take away the results then they have actually been entertaining and I have enjoyed them but football is a results based business and no points are awarded for playing the right way. We appear as a team to be weak both mentally and physically and there is a worrying lack of leadership and responsibility. I dont think we need too much more in terms of playing staff to sort the problems out. A giant at central defence to partner one of the current two. A true goalscorer/ front man and possibly a true box to box midfielder (Matt Holland mark 2 or an intelligent David Norris) You could argue at RB aswell but I feel that Ainsley done well, Edwards impresses most people (not me) and Hewitt is highly rated.
    Im not sure if mental toughness can be taught but bringing in a 'captain' whose can actually do the role properly (ie give encouragement/ bollockings when needed) may hopefully add some mental steel to his team mates.
    Saturday was worrying for me as for the first time in Jewells reign we went 1-0 down and I was convinced that we wouldnt be able to turn the game around. For all our good play, we still dont look like scoring and still dont look like keeping a clean sheet and for all the good work Jewell has done, Im not convinced he has either the ability of the coaching staff to change it around.
    If Jewell does go then I think it will be understandable as although we have had decent spells during his tenure, we have also been rolled over on far too many other occassions. I am pretty sure that the upper management ideals and their lack of giving out information has not helped. There has been a massive turn around since the high profile arrival of Keane and the 'named' players he signed from larger calibre clubs. His were premier league squad player and this has now turned to bargain hunt from the lower leagues. The boardroom management have apparently kept the same expectation levels yet reduced the resource to allow us to compete.

18. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

It's hard to disagree with what you have said.

I like alot of what I have seen this season and what I have heard from PJ, I like the players he has signed and the football we play now. But we need to see results improve although I can't help thinking many who were pleased after the first 2 games of the season with how we were progressing (obviously there have been those who have never been pleased with PJ) are now jumping the gun a bit after 2 away losses to 2 promotion challenging teams and both times the opposition managers have come out and praised how well we played. Unfortunately I do have a little nagging doubt that our midfield is pretty strong hence we play the good tippy tappy football but noone to have the desire to put their neck on the line and force the ball over the line and no leadership at the back to see out games which is a bad combination. We do really need another CB!!!

19. tractor bhoy

tractor bhoy Well-Known Member

Part of me still thinks he can be a decent manager and a bit like Arsenal this season, if he would appoint a bulldog/ defensive coach who will tear the team to bits (our version of Steve Bould to Jewells Wenger, albeit not at the same level) then we would be alot better. He has got us alot further forward than we were at the time of his appointment but since the tale end of last season he appears to have got the job 75% completed but cant get us over the line and Im not convinced he can. That coaching addition may just do it but it may, as per JWM's regular saying, be like rearranging the deckchairs on the titanic.

20. johnnywarksmoustache

<doh>

I do despair at you lot sometimes!

Playing nice football means jackshit if you keep on losing!