1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours The January '16 transfer rumour thread.

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Libby, Nov 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Libby

Libby 9-0

Hope no one minds me making this but we're halfway through November now so seems a sensible time to start it. Also during the international break where there is **** all to talk about really! ]

So does anyone think we will do any business in January this year? Last year we made 2 loan signings in Djuricic & Elia, could we use loan market again?

What positions (if any) would we like to see strengthened. For me, I'd still like another striker, I wanted one in the Summer and nothing so far has changed my mind on that. From what we've seen so far I don't think we can rely on Jrod being fit for a sustained period of time this season and I think that we're still a bit light up there.

Anywhere else? I think we're pretty fine at the moment in most other places, maybe a winger? Or a backup RB? <whistle>

2. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

We may need two if the rumours are true that Manchester United are sniffing around Pelle.

3. claytonsaint

claytonsaint Member

If we can keep everybody fit then we are fine. The biggest worry with this window is the possible unsettling of Mane.

4. Libby

Libby 9-0

Honestly don't see anyone coming in for Pelle with his age the money we'd want him. Hope I haven't jinxed that though.

Can't see us letting Mane go mid-season! Come on people anyone got any rumours of in??

5. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

Fear not this January, we will stand firm, but the summer will see change once again. Its just the way it is.

Archers Road likes this.
  6. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

Didn't Koeman say the other day it's unlikely we'll be dipping into the market?

7. Libby

Libby 9-0

I don't know when was that? Be disappointing if we didn't. Espescially if we're in touch with the top 6 at that sort of time.

8. Tommomo

Tommomo Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that Gaston will be looking to leave for Italy come January so he is the most likely outgoing.

As for incomings i hope we offer a permanent contract to Stekkers as he has done a great job and would be perfect as competition for Forster. Pretty happy with the actual squad as it is, unless we need to cover for long term injury for someone i see no real need to shop.

40000thheadman likes this.
  9. Libby

Libby 9-0

I agree with offering a permanent deal to Stek, though not I'm not sure he'd take it to be back up at his age. Though saying that I don't think Forster should come straight back in once fit as Stek has been solid so far. Would be a real coup to have 2 good quality GK's on the books.

manxsaint likes this.
  10. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I don't see us selling anyone important in the January window and (if we want to keep Koeman) I bet we will try and stand firm in the summer. Wanyama may go then as he (or his agent) has already agitated twice now...and I bet we will cope better than if he went last summer. From now on, I expect us to have the same summer changes that all teams have...nothing too dramatic. However, let main players go in the middle of a season building nicely....can't see it. Gaston may get his move...playing a couple of times will have helped him there...and perhaps a couple of loans out...that will be about it, I think.

11. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

I think this was in response to a question at the Fans' Forum when someone asked that if the club were there or thereabouts in January they would "take a punt" to strengthen the squad. Both Koeman and Les Reed said that taking a punt wasn't the way the club does business these days. Slow, steady, building was the Southampton way and that's what we would continue to do.

None of that, of course, rules out any dealing in January as far as I can see.

12. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I think we are not specifically looking to buy in (unless injuries occur), but I'm sure we will act if one of our targets becomes available.

13. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

Found it: http://www.skysports.com/football/n...onald-koeman-rules-out-move-for-juan-quintero

When asked over a potential move for Quintero, Koeman said: "We don't need midfielders, so no.

"I'm very happy with the players we have. I can't say it's 100 per cent because it's football, but it's unlikely that we'll have new players in January."

14. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

Should Gaston move on in January, that would save a hefty wage, that could potentially be used on a loan player.

15. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Maybe a couple of loans in like last January. I'd be surprised if we bought anybody.

16. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

Might depend on what's wrong with JayRods feet. If it's serious (don't think we've been told much) then we may need a loan to cover.

17. Libby

Libby 9-0

That's a good point, getting Gaston off the bill would free up a significant amount of wages to bring in another attacking player. Though a big signing would more likely be Summer.

18. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

Don't think there will be any ins or outs. As someone else said, there will inevitably be a bit of movement in the summer - let's hope it's not too painful this time. Still think Gaston has something to offer so I'd keep him. He works hard enough in training and I find it hard to blame him for the trouble he's had with injuries. I see the Echo are trying to sensationalise his departure for free costing Saints £12m. All in all its not been the best signing but I think you have to look at the bigger picture in terms of transfers which reflects an incredibly successful period. All clubs have losses - and actually £12m is no worse than the £4m on Delap considering the way fees have gone up.

19. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

And it's a hell of a lot better than £15m on Osvaldo (or whatever the figure was).

OddRiverOakWizards and fatletiss like this.
  20. Wherefore art thou Romeu?

Wherefore art thou Romeu? Well-Known Member

Really happy with both starting 11 and squad depth in almost all positions at the moment. Another striker wouldn't go amiss but would far prefer for us to use any money available/freed up through sales to provide key players aready here with new long term contracts. I know it's not that simple...

Plastique Bertrand likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.