1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Health and Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Hornette_TID, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

So here it is, back again almost a year on! In that year I've put on over a stone, yay me! Personally I blame football! Now that the season is over i'm back on track and am happy to report that I've lost half a stone in a week and 2 days! I know w_y is doing brilliantly too. I haven't made it back to the gym for a while but i'm back to exercising every day, originally training for another half marathon in October but i'm not sure now if that's happening so now i'll just have to use my health as motivation! Not so easy! Have a healthy summer everyone!

Deleted 1 likes this.
  2. wear_yellow

wear_yellow Well-Known Member

Good on you H. We know the hardest part of going to the gym, is going to the gym! Once you are there it's brilliant. Because of my trapped nerve, I am limited to CV work and lower body weights - so exercise bikes, steppers and power walking. With the weather improving and Mrs W_Y finishing her exams, we will start walking again, so up and down the Grand Union again!

3. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

All right - laugh if you must but Mrs L and I have today bought a couple of bikes. As it is so flat here in Selsey we will have no hills to battle with - but that 6 inch slope on the driveway is a bit tough to handle :) We figured out that we will get a bit further if we can master the use of bikes after about 40 years since we last rode one.

4. Deleted 1

Deleted 1 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm sort of training for a 100 km walk down the Grand union next month but had massive problems with my legs last year (they just kept seizing up) and it seems to be starting up again :sad:. Off out for a walk tomorrow but suspect i'll be aiming for the 50 km now. Still, we'll see after the weekend

Hornette_TID likes this.
  5. brian_66_usa

brian_66_usa Well-Known Member

I use to enjoy the "seley bill"

6. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

I'm taking part in the 3km run in October that starts at the same place as the Jersey marathon but is over a special course in St Helier while the main event covers more of the island. I also have the softball league - training on Tuesday nights until the end of July and matches on Sundays.
    I was due to get a new bike today but I have to work - I may be finished before the shop closes and will still get one. It'll be mainly for cycling to and from training and also on the cycle paths round by the bays.

7. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

They closed it down a year or two ago - think it is going to become housing

8. Hornette_TID

Forum Moderator

Leonardo, good on you and mrs L! I tried that cycling thing, it probably didn't help that the bike was awful but I quickly discovered cycling is not for me! Lol

Dan, amazing either way, keep us up to date!
    W_y, great to hear, I might see you along the canal sometime :). I'm going to start hiking on Fridays, looking forward to that!

9. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Hornette_TID and Deleted 1 like this.
  10. brian_66_usa

brian_66_usa Well-Known Member

Sad but yes i had herd What about the selsey tram ? there was a few pubs that did a good pint or a good meal

11. wear_yellow

wear_yellow Well-Known Member

Well done to you both Lenny, you will both see the benefit in a few weeks. But stay on some suitable roads, some car drivers are real tossers when they encounter cyclists - stay safe mate.

Hornette_TID likes this.
  12. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Don't know of a Selsey Tram - there seems to have been a railway line to Chichester that closed years ago but no sign left. Some nice pubs still - all within walking or cycling distance - LIfeboat Inn is great on a summer evening; a restaurant / pub called the Seal in Selsey is also good and in the surrounding are just a short drive there are some excellent places.

Cheers - we aim to stay on tiny roads and mostly on cycle tracks around some great nature reserves - it was what inspired the bikes Mrs L struggles to walk very far but can cycle on the flat land round here very easily. We see what terrors face cyclists on the main road from here to Chichester

13. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Why oh why did I not remember how certain parts of your anatomy need time to get used to cycling again?

14. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

Softball season not started too well. After a 12-10 win to start, we've lost the last two 33-0 and 47-3 but those last 2 games were against teams who have played in the higher Division quite a lot and we're a completely new team. The cycling home from training last week was difficult as there were occasional gusts of wind which were sideways - one almost blew me into the middle of the road. Luckily, it wasn't busy as it was past 8 o'clock.

15. Deleted 1

Forum Moderator

Only a week to go till the Grand Union Challenge. Had a great 20 mile walk yesterday and now a lot more confident about getting 50km next Saturday.

Canals are amazing things - if you tell people you are walking from Paddington to Watford and it is 31 miles they think you're either lying (I am not) or a raving lunatic (the jury is still out).

I hope everybody else's various regimes are going well now that it looks like summer may finally be here!

16. Resurgam

Resurgam Top Analyst
    Staff Member

This time last year, I overheard something that gave me much food for thought.
    I'd be down the beach with my daughter, and overheard her saying to my mum, "It's great dad comes to the beach with me grandma, but I do wish he wouldn't get out of breath so easily and keep his shirt on."

Nearly a year later, I am now 3lbs short of being 4 stone lighter, and am doing gentle exercise.
    I ride my bike to work or walk every day, and even joining the lifeboat crew has helped with the exercise.

Not setting my sights too high, I hope, but by the end of summer, I hope to be 5 stone lighter than last year.

The main thing for me though is to be around for a long time to spend time walking with my daughter.

What a wake up call that was.

Deleted 1 likes this.
  17. Deleted 1

Forum Moderator

:) Nice one!

Resurgam likes this.
  18. NZHorn

NZHorn Well-Known Member

I've just bought some new skis and boots. I have finally upgraded from my old straight skis. When I left NZ it was shaping up to be a good season with plenty of snow falling on the hills. No doubt there has been a heatwave in the last few days<laugh>.

19. Hornette_TID

Forum Moderator

well, it's been 6 weeks and i'm 16lbs lighter...i'm on the way to getting back to where i was and i'm feeling faberoo! This 5:2 diet is blinking easy and works a treat! Happy days :). Soon i'll be getting to where i want to be, rather than where i was!

Deleted 1 and NZHorn like this.
  20. J T Bodbo

J T Bodbo Well-Known Member

Our cycle ride from St Malo to Nice started very well. Part 1 to our cottage in the Charente-11days-was very peaceful and decent weather. Part 2 has been postponed until Seprember, weather/family/minor ailments. But we've researched
    It, and the route through lot gorge, ardeche gorge, nesqua gorge looks fabulous. At the end we'll be fitter than TD9!
    I'll be giving up my season ticket for home matches in Sep, UGT T33.
    Cheers to all from La Belle France.

Deleted 1 and Hornette_TID like this.