1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The great 2016 let's all try be positive thread.

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by SgtBhaji, Nov 28, 2016.

1. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

So even though it's been a mostly boring season, a season separated by a handful of points where we barely got to see the protagonists really go head to head, there has to be some positives. So here's a couple that spring to mind.

We have a new world champ, so there's something to be happy about. A Hamilton three in a row might have been even too much for a "Hamelot'. :p

Haas F1 had been an absolute brilliant debutant. I'm struggling to remember a new start-up team that was as impressive since Jordan (don't try chuck Brawn in there because it doesn't count). So that was a big thumbs up!

I could throw out a few more, but don't want to use them all up. So throw in some other positives from this past season.

Also, big congratulations to Rosberg. Despite what anybody says, he really does deserve this title. He had the measure of Hamilton early on and took advantage of it. So well played sir and hats off.

Gambol likes this.
  2. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm struggling to find a huge amount of positives from this year and think F1 has sunk to new lows in its administration and application. Like all large global organisations, its very easy to lose sight of creating a fair and level playing field fir the sport to relish in.

Although Max has caused havoc he has to be classed as a positive, because as you look down the grid the changing of the guard makes for a weaker driver line up for the future and he appears to be one of the few hopes. He has replicated Lewis's burst onto the scene and this bodes well for future racing years.

......after that I'm really struggling. Mercedes have done everything possible to devalue true competition, and the sports self imploding actions over rules and their implementation has quite frankly been embarrassing. Media coverage has been woefully biased and shockingly uninformative.

Sharpe*, TopClass and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  3. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

The championship was still in the balance with 5 laps to go of a 21 race season, surely that counts for something?
    The new tyre rules, the chance to do something completely different strategy wise really opened up some races.
    Max getting bumped up
    Force India

allsaintchris. likes this.
  4. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Lets be positive, double points was not on offer.

Imagine the reaction to that! Maybe though it would have forced Nico to chase down Hamilton and there would have been a real winner takes all.

Don't get wrong, its a bollocks idea, but with the points difference it would have spiced up the race in a different way and made it a real flat out winner takes all race, but that is ultimately what we wanted to see (assuming Lewis didn't bugger off into the distance and make it an anti-climatic procession) with everyone complaining that he wouldn't have won it but for blah blah blah!

Max is a positive from this season, yes he has some growing up to do but he did get stuck in and I for one (as an initial sceptic) have been won over by his drives.

Other positives............. I'll get back on that one.

5. taeleon

taeleon Well-Known Member

I was going to say Max. He's had some wtf moments this year but I'm looking forward to watching him develop. Hopefully next year he has a more competitive car up front and we'll see what he can do!

6. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

Yeah, Max is the big plus I think. Like many I was not impressed initially with some of his moves and definitely not with his attitude. But Brazil was sensational. We will be talking about that drive for years, a truly legendary performance.

And his was one of the few outstanding drives in Abu Dhabi too.

7. Big Ern

Max's Brazil drive was a good drive, but I actually can't see what the major fuss was about, he's probably got the best aero, the least powerful engine (a plus in the wet to have a bit less power) and fresh wet tyres, and he caught a break with the timing of his stop. What I think that race said the most was how poor the rest are in the wet.

8. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Come on, that is harsh.

If RBR hadn't put him on inters he would have challenged Hamilton for the win. His drive was outstanding all day, if the rest were 'poor', that's their issue, but it shouldn't detract from what he did in coming through the field.

Some of his moves in defending this year have been dubious, but give him the credit where it is due.

9. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

What Max showed in the wet was confidence. Like many, I think he is at times a danger to himself and others but much like Hamilton, has real confidence in the wet to find grip.

Whilst I don't think it was the stuff of legends, it was the sign of a potential future world champion, and that is high praise.

Him and Ricciardo in a car that can fight for Pole would be spectacular but we desperately need others challenging with them.

I'm intrigued by Stoffel Vandoorne next year actually. He's the dark horse who could provide us another angle into the future. The irony if ever McLaren nail it out of the blocks and he beats Alonso and Button retired would be unthinkable!

10. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

Max.

That is it really.

11. moreinjuredthanowen

brazil

1. verstappen very nearly went in the wall once or twice. he then went right back out and went even faster

2. he was utlra agressive behind safety car and tested every part of the track

3. he understood where the camber aided him and passed there

in short the guy had balls of steel and never switched off as the rain poured down and when it was time to race he was the one best prepared by his antics behind the safety cars and the one most talented. genius is often applied as a term but in fact it was application, bravery and ability. He just had the capacity to find the grip where others didn't even try.

12. Big Ern

meh, he was on the right tyres and in the best wet weather car, if he'd have done a Senna at Donnington, or been in something crap like Belliof at Monaco '84, I'd be in agreement.