1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The General Election

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Albert's Chip Shop, May 21, 2017.

1. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

Yes,it might be a year or two though...

<whistle>

2. Sammy's Silky Skills

Sammy's Silky Skills Well-Known Member

<doh> Labour celebrating second place.
    Corbyn has failed.

3. Judge Death

Judge Death Well-Known Member

Exactly - celebrating being marginally less crap - but I guess that's a win for Generation Snowflake where no one really loses anyway

4. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

<laugh>

Love the expression. <cheers>

5. Joelinton's Right Foot

Joelinton's Right Foot Worth Every Penny
    Forum Moderator

So no snowflakes in Sunderland then!

6. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

They are celebrating doing far, far better than had been predicted over the last few weeks.

7. Joelinton's Right Foot

Forum Moderator

8. Fork Handles

Fork Handles Well-Known Member

Meanwhile the Conservatives and Unionist Party (WTF) get on with forming a government!

9. Judge Death

If they keep up that rate of progress they might be approaching being electable in about 2-3 Elections time - say about 10yrs?

10. General Lee Speaking

I'm sure Theresa May is chuffed to **** with that arrangement.

11. Joelinton's Right Foot

Forum Moderator

At this rate, 2-3 elections could be 18 months.

Albert will be happy :emoticon-0130-devil

GeordieHalfbreed likes this.
  12. Judge Death

Yeah - that is true. Got to be honest, felt really bloody weird not voting Labour this time, but I genuinely, honestly do not see Corbyn or any of his crew being able to deliver on the manifesto/policies they proposed

anyobrien likes this.
  13. Joelinton's Right Foot

Forum Moderator

Yeah, I was really wavering who to vote for for a long time. I came down on the side of voting for him despite having my doubts over how electable he was. One thing that could change it is that I think there were quite a few labour voters going elsewhere for the long term benefit of the party, and hoping it would see him removed. Time will tell if he seems more electable to them next time, whenever that is.

14. General Lee Speaking

If that progress continues the Tories will be ****ed at the next election since they can only just cobble together a governing minority government today. I'm not saying the progress will continue but Corbyn has certainly got momentum and convinced a lot of people and there's no way he'll be stepping down as many thought he would. Remember this election was meant to give May a 100-120 seat majority.

15. Travelsick07

Travelsick07 Well-Known Member

Corbyns gonna implode sooner or later, I mean come on. Corbyn! Look at the leadership choices he has made.

anyobrien likes this.
  16. General Lee Speaking

I think you mean the shadow cabinet? Yes, it's pretty poor, but he didn't have a very large pool of MPs to choose from with the split in the Parliamentary Labour Party. I can see some of those 'progressive' Labour MPs coming in from the cold and getting behind Corbyn now so you might see some stronger people on the shadow front bench in coming months.

GeordieHalfbreed likes this.
  17. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

When you go apple bobbing in a barrel of turds... you'll always end up with **** on your lips...

Diane Abbott... ffs..... according to her stats we need 76 million more police.... ffs.

Oh ****... I mentioned politics.

Soz lads.

18. Blacker-than-Knight

I don't think it's just that, this was an election where Corbyn went for real pork barrel politics, he scored massively with the younger voter on tuition fees and the big one of wiping out their student loan debt for upto 10 years along with massive spending commitments elsewhere, May screwed the Tory manifesto and policing really bit her in the arse, yet the reality is that for all the big smiles and talk of minority government Labour are still 57 seats behind the Tories, no party really has anything to be that happy about, Labour came back strong but are as far away from Government as they were anyway, SNP got a kicking as did the Tories and the Lib Dem's got as minor a boost as possible.

I think one thing the country could do with is for all the politicians and media to shut up for a few weeks and give the public a break, it's too long until the start of the Premier League Season when we can all get back to the football proper.

J. J. McClure likes this.
  19. Gordonthetoony

Gordonthetoony Well-Known Member

Students being bribed ensured he got a huge 18-25 turnout, but can you honestly say they'll keep turning out in those numbers, I doubt It. Allied to the fact her manifesto writers made a complete arse of it and cost them a lot of older voters. They will not screw up a 2nd time and if Corbyn couldn't beat them this time with all his promises from the money tree, then I can't see him doing anything better in the future. That's 3 elections in a row they've lost so they really have nothing to gloat about.
    Best quote was by Corbyn, May should resign and let me form the government. You lost numpty and with all the other votes from Libs, SNP, Greens Plaid you still can't beat the Tory votes.

20. Gordonthetoony

Gordonthetoony Well-Known Member

One of the Financial pages had figs relating to houses in different parts of the country andwith current Council Tax paid. I now live in the Midlands and it showed that a Band D property would rise from £1600 a year to nearly £3500. He said he was going to tax the rich ( the few ) but he's sneakily going to screw the many to pay for his money tree. Loved the quote " I'm not going to borrow but will issue a bond which we will pay back with interest. Isn't that borrowing ?????