1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The future for cars

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Albert's Chip Shop, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

In a few weeks I get my first hybrid motor and have just got a charging point fitted at home (Rolec).

I was talking with the fitters and they said they could hardly keep up with demand and went on to say that eventually petrol and diesel will be a thing of the past as all cars will be electric.

I think the issue right now is the size of the battery and relatively limited range (the Tesla S has a max range of 300 miles). Like anything the price will eventually drop and things will get smaller.

The political issue abounds too that there is still a lot of oil buried in the ground that needs to be turned into cash so I'm a believer that the advances in EV cars have been supressed by the industry to allow as much oil to be farmed before the wells are closed.

Within my lifetime I expect most petrol stations to be fast charging stations (or battery replacement stations). This was echoed by an engineer I met from Nissan on a recent flight who talked about battery advancements and argued that the easiest option may be to just keep swapping out batteries at garages rather than physically charging them.. for a fee of course....

Within the next generation I honestly expect the Back to the future type waste processing or hydrogen cells to the be norm... alongside driverless cars....

Any of you boys and girls got an electric or hybrid car?

2. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

I don't really know that much about it but when nuclear fusion is a widespread, clean, limitless, and I think cheap source of energy, then everything will be predominantly electric. Hydrogen cells are an exciting advancement. The only engine options on the new Merc I just got in December were Diesel and Petrol though so hybrids aren't that widespread yet and these other power sources seem to be in the distant future.

3. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

My new one is a Merc Hybrid mate. C350e.

There is now an e class version too.

4. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Its environmentalists like you putting people like me out of a job. Have a heart - and get a 4litre range rover.

Blacker-than-Knight likes this.
  5. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

Wasn't an option on the GLC. I would have considered it if there had been though. What mpg does it give you?

6. Consett Mag

Consett Mag Well-Known Member

Mine uses the devil's fuel, but 0-60 in about 5.5 seconds (though not tried it) and 40+ mpg from its 3 litre lump keeps me happy.

Battery cars appear problematic for anything but local rides until the infrastructure can cope. That's a long time away

7. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

Albert you pussy mate

I haven't got time and money to worry about environment

If the earth dies who cares ? What's the big deal?

Warmir Pouchov and JakartaToon like this.
  8. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Are you interested in a job in the oil industry mate? There are plenty of openings for people like you.

9. Captainchaos.

Absolutely I'll do anything for money even if it's ending the human race

JakartaToon likes this.
  10. Sheikh_of_Araby

Sheikh_of_Araby Well-Known Member

Just recently bought an Alfa Romeo Mito diesel. Best car I have ever owned. Stick it in dynamic mode and it goes mental. Cracking fuel economy. Got 59mpg drivingto Oxford. Oh and the bollocks about Alfas being unreliable is just exactly that!

11. Captainchaos.

How reliable are you ? Hhhmmmm

12. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

Can't see electric cars being pushed ahead of petrol/diesel until somebody like Jeremy Corbyn gets in power in the US. That's about 1000x less likely than Trump getting in.

I drive an X6 4.0Xdrive and I really couldn't give a **** about emissions etc, they're boring and for the £200 a month I'd save driving a Nissan Leaf, It'd cost me £20,000 per year in cocaine and hookers just to keep my manhood intact.

J. J. McClure and JakartaToon like this.
  13. Toon_Man_Sam1

Toon_Man_Sam1 Well-Known Member

bunch of pussy's driving cars and the even bigger pussy's driving hybrids and sniffing your own farts (reference to a southpark episode)

Motorbikes, that's where its at, you crash in a car, whiplash and you make a claim for your bad neck, but that doesn't happen on a bike, therefore making bikes better, Bikes are better for the environment, Bikes are more fun, Chicks dig bikes, Bikes don't have to adhere to normal traffic rules, you can park a bike anywhere, In India you can put a goat on a bike, Driving a bike makes you look cool, you can't hack a motorbike, the cars of the future will be hackable! Its healthier too, on average a 180lbs man would burn 40 more calories an hour riding a bike as opposed to a car!

I could keep going, but I think a lot of you probably would Stop reading, but one final point, BIKES!!!

Sheikh_of_Araby likes this.
  14. Tel (they/them)

It only doesn't happen on a bike because when a bike crashes the head ends up about 400 yards down the road from the rest of the victim's body.

15. Toon_Man_Sam1

Toon_Man_Sam1 Well-Known Member

Minor details.

16. Captainchaos.

Are you saying they have massive cocks

J. J. McClure and Warmir Pouchov like this.
  17. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

Seems like Dubai and Abu Dhabi are well aware of the rise of electric, hence why they have been deliberately and expansively creating super-cities for everyone to enjoy/spend money!

In Dubai in particular, they aim to have an electric-only transport system (driverless cars) by 2030. When I upgrade my car in a year or so, I will 100% be considering an electric engine. As above, the advances in Nuclear are incredibly exciting. Plus we'd be at the forefront and move back to the age when we could export energy, with the added bonus of 1000+ people a year not dying from landslides.

18. Tel (they/them)

Not the chinese ones, they're all small.

I have my daily Best Gore updates at lunch time, nowt better than watching a chinese motorcyclist's head get popped open by a truck wheel, whilst tucking into a nice spicy chicken pitta.

19. Captainchaos.

I watch a Mexican uncle and his nephew getting killed recently . They first slice off ones head with a chainsaw and then cut off the others head with a knife

Gruesome

As bad as 3 guys one hammer if not worse tbh

20. Tel (they/them)

Brutal innit, Brazil, Mexico and Indonesia, it just seems like those 3 countries are lawless. Every 5 minutes somebody is getting their skin peeled off for borrowing somebody's bike.

I like reading the comments, some funny people out there.

Captainchaos. likes this.