1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The FA and FL Cup Thread 2016/17

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

They weren't particularly pretty today. They didn't outplay City, in fact in the first half City outplayed them.

3 at the back with two wing backs btw.

2. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

I might. MIGHT bother to watch a highlight or two.

3. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

4. TheSecondStain

And what are you smiling about.? Don't tell me you actually like Arsenal.? It's a job. You don't have to fall in love with the bloody company. ;)

5. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

You fall in love with the 'double your hourly rate' cup final, though...

6. TheSecondStain

Ah, but have you ever heard of double-double.? I used to get that when the ship came in. It was like my ship coming in, every time. And that was a lot more than once a year. :)

7. milton archer

milton archer Well-Known Member

Double-double, unpleasant N. American coffee

8. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I like Arsenal too for historical reasons, but let's keep it between ourselves. :bandit:

9. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

This is what I think of when you mention the Double Double

http://earthsky.org/brightest-stars/epsilon-lyrae-the-famous-double-double-star

Amazing through a telescope. To the naked eye a single star, lowish magnification a double. Ramp up the magnification and you can actually see it as 4 stars.

Archers Road likes this.
  10. TheSecondStain

My Double-Double was while working for STC at the western end of the docks. Fibre-optic cable laying ships would come in to take the meterage we'd produce. Bear in mind that in the late 80's, undersea fibre-optic cable was pretty much state of the art stuff, so we were paid rather well. My normal 'day job' was to weld the individual fibres together with no loss of signal, get them tested, and join the two ends of kilometres of cables from neighbouring tanks. This I did for 4 days, but I usually did anything upto 3 days of overtime as well. These were 12 hour days, by the way, which rotated to nights and back. Normally overtime was time and a half, then double, and double. But if it fell at the weekend, the first day was time and a half, then double-double and double-double. If a ship was in for loading during that time one got all those double-doubles plus a bonus. I used to count the meterage going into the ship. The upshot was that with all those double-doubles we were paid thousands of pounds per week. Several of my best pay days would easily have bettered most footballers at the time. Certainly any Saints player, I reckon. One of the things you might hear from a work colleague who would be walking by on his way to lunch might by 'double-double, double-double, double-double...' It was money for new cable [oops, sorry]

Anyway, now you know why the internet is so fast/slow/crap [insert appropriate description]. It was us. ;)