1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The FA and FL Cup Thread 2016/17

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Stuff like this must happen pretty regularly. I'm sure there is a market every deadline day for which cliche Jim White will say first, and I remember a bet about Bellamy celebrating with a golf swing if he scored after the Riise incident that he said his mates had bet on. It is pretty stupid to come out and say about it straight after the event though.

2. Libby

Libby 9-0

Well no of course not, but no 'spot fixing' does. It's not really the point.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  3. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Oh for pete's sake. That's a joke blown out of all proportion.

Unless he and the betting company did collude.

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  4. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

He came out and said that people asked him to do it who had put money on, somebody got a five figure payout

Libby likes this.
  5. TheSecondStain

Oh well then he's an idiot. And that's not said in hindsight, just that sport and illegal betting are an absolute no-no.

6. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

Ah, didn't realise that. Thought it was just the petty FA getting involved about footballers and betting.

7. It’s Only A Game

It’s Only A Game Well-Known Member

In the version I read he didn't admit to anything like that but if your account is the correct one it was always going to end in tears.

On another note, I used to play cricket for the same club he played football for (BAT Sports). He hasn't changed much and that was 20 years ago.

8. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Yeah, yesterday I thought that the FA would probably blunder in and give it a whole load more publicity. But a morning phone call from the Gambling Commission is not what you want.

9. Libby

Libby 9-0

Only just watching motd.

Barton, what a ****.

ImpSaint and Qwerty like this.
  10. OddRiverOakWizards

OddRiverOakWizards Well-Known Member

But surely the point here is that betting companies should be restricted on what they promote, I mean they really asked for it here & how should the betting commission act? SunBet put up a bet mocking this goalkeeper & surely it was not out of the realms of possibility that this could happen if people bet on it. As long as Shaw made no money for himself I think it is mainly the responsibility of the betting company making up bets that are irresponsible & difficult to regulate.

Archers Road and Whiteley Saint like this.

11. Libby

Libby 9-0

I agree that they shouldn't be allowed to offer these sort of markets.

They've got a load of publicity though which was probably always their intention.

12. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

My only problem with it is, if this was a player who played for a bigger team everything would have been hushed up. You only have to look at Barton..

13. TheSecondStain

Hmm, I wonder if Sutton will be so ruthless with their sponsor..?

14. Libby

Libby 9-0

Barton is waiting to recieve punishment isn't he?

Wasn't it only a 1 game sponsorship? Might be wrong on that.

Shame that it's overshadowed their run though.

15. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Somehow. If you fail a drugs test you get provisionally banned. He has admitted the offences already. I don't know what the difference is here. Expect* his ban will be measured in years.

*hope

16. TheSecondStain

Maybe, I don't know.
    OK, let's say it was. So a gambling firm manages zero games before they do something knowingly bending/breaking the rules.
    And yes, it is a shame.

17. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

They took a lot of flack for agreeing to the one game sponsorship from SunBet. Not for taking the money but for who it was and what it represented.

Not just because it was the Sun but because the whole "lower league" selling point over the past few years has been about Sky ruining football. Like the Pompey advert "Don't let your kids grow up thinking football is a TV show."

Lincoln took a one game sponsorship from the National League sponsors who asked their away shirt main sponsors first if they were happy to step aside. Being Lincoln fans anyway their main away shirt sponsors (Software Europe) agreed and a deal was done.

One of Lincoln's directors answered a question on facebook where a fan said "please don't accept a Murdoch sponsorship now Sutton are out" and got a reply back saying "There is no chance of that."

TheSecondStain likes this.
  18. TheSecondStain

Well done on that Lincoln City.

19. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

After the amount Sutton have made from their cup run I can only assume it was a mega offer. Surely Vanarama would have offered to sponsor them for the day as well.

The Mail have done a match report on our league game tonight. Darlings of the media and all that but this snippet of it made me chuckle:

But there was little escaping the real excitement, Saturday's 1-0 win at Burnley in the FA Cup having landed them a quarter-final trip to Arsenal, whose scouts were refused entry after waiting until the morning of the game to make their application.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4246940/North-Ferriby-0-1-Lincoln-City-FA-Cup-heroes-extend-lead.html#ixzz4ZN8XjcEh

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  20. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

So Skybet take the piss out of a pie eating goalie, and he gets the sack for getting back at them. Meanwhile they get a shed load of publicity they'd have been happy to pay for anyway.

Sutton should build a statue of him outside their ground - if they can find enough bronze. Maybe Ginsters could step in and pay for it?