1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Eastleigh FC Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by SaintMarv, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

I have absolutely zero interest in Eastligh FC, but it would be churlish not to say congratulations. Winning a replay against a league one side is one hell of a result. Usually the "small" team gets one bite at it. Like when Tranmere were dead lucky to get a 0-0 at the Dell, and when we went there we went 3-0 up and ... anyway you get my general point. It wasn't my fault that Hoddle got the teams to change shirts at half time.

Two things hit me. One is the fact that Dagenham and Redbridge get a mention here. As many pointed out the night we beat Inter was almost exactly a 6th anniversary of a key game against D&R. The other is that there is a chance of a Hampshire derby in round 3. Oh yes please. So well done, Eastleigh, and now beat Halifax please. Although Macclesfield away would suit me!

SAINTDON13 likes this.
  2. SaintMarv

SaintMarv Well-Known Member

Great result. I have noticed how Eastleigh seem to like beating fellow Railway towns away Crewe last season Swindon this.

3. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

Eastleigh Manager has walked apparently.

4. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Are you talking about Ronnie Moore.?

5. SAINTDON13

6. TheSecondStain

He's been commuting from Yorkshire.!?! Just what level of insanity has he been operating under.? That's ridiculous. I appreciate his efforts, but he should have been looking to move South [very sensible] or he shouldn't have been considered for the job.

Ally McCoist is apparently available. ;)
    Please NO Ryan Giggs.

7. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Oh and Rotherham manager has just walked.

Moore will go back to Rotherham I would think. He's still pals with my mate who is caretaking them at the moment.

8. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

9. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

"Mad dog" Allen?...that's a brilliant appointment....they must be offering him a decent wedge.

10. Libby

Libby 9-0

You'd think so wouldn't so...

Hell of an ambitious move by them

11. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

12. TheSecondStain

Wow, that's a heck of an appointment. Well done Spitfires.

Shame about Jamie, but he is getting on a bit. Think he's 40 or more.

13. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

These things happen at this level. Players and managers on less than a grand a week (Eastleigh might be more seeing as they have a sugar daddy) don't up sticks and move house every year or 2 as they move clubs. Lincoln's top striker Matt Rhead still lives in Stoke and he has a deal where he can do some approved personal training in Stoke and only come to Lincoln for Training for 3 of the 6 days.

Lincoln's management pairing still live in Essex. At the moment they aren't commuting every day, they have a house the club provide for when they want to stay over but their families are still in Essex.

I wouldn't expect Eastleigh players and management to earn much more than Lincoln and that means top players are choosing whether to be a tradesman or a pro footballer because the £600 a week wage is about the same for both. At that level of wage you aren't going to keep upping sticks.

It is also the reason that a lot of the players at this level move between clubs that are pretty close to them. There aren't that many transfers between Southern and Northern clubs barring younger players because unless the club is going to cater for your family life then what is the point?

Much different from League 1 upward where you can still buy a house for cash in the North for that £2k+ a week wage!

Anyway, be sure to tune into BT sport on Monday night to see if the high flying Imps can beat L1 Oldham. Not expecting a big crowd because its a school night but the TV money is worth more than the extras in the ground on a Saturday it seems. Supposedly the game is worth £100-110k for us and the cup run (to round 2. lol) is now worth a total of £150k so the Chairman said. Not sure how that £100k figure has come about, surely not just TV money.

You won't see me or my kids because we sit to the right of where the camera usually is for TV games. Pity because the camera that side looks over to the quiet lot in the crappy looking (more than) half emptySubbuteo stand rather than the up to date main stand which most fans choose to sit in :)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  14. SAINTDON13

3 - 3 today, Halifax is a long walk for the replay.

15. Libby

Libby 9-0

I'll takee the winner of that at home tomorrow night!

16. SAINTDON13

So that is Ball 35 will play Ball 60 right?

17. Libby

Libby 9-0

Haven't checked the ball numbers yet.

Liverpool away to Chelsea/United would be nice too.

18. TheSecondStain

The insanity is more along the lines of appointing a manager not based in the South, or a manager applying for a southern job when he's based in the North. I'm going to assume that Martin Allen is based in the South, as he comes from a long line of Allens who lived and worked mainly south of Birmingham. In fact, I'm damn sure he is. He may be Mad Dog, but he isn't stupid.

19. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

If you want a decent manager you make allowances. Lincoln wanted the Cowley brothers from Braintree, They are settled in Essex. They still live in Essex. Allowances are made. We wanted Matt Rhead (one of our strikers) who lives in Stockport still. We made allowances. I assume the same was true of Ronnie Moore.

Even though it is "only" national league if a manager of Ronnie Moore's status is available and willing then you make a decision and make allowances for it. We have a few southern based players that stay in "club" houses for part of the week, do personal training a couple of days wherever they live and come in to Lincoln for team training (and of course the game) on the other days.

Even at VNL level there are trade offs that have to be made because getting into (or back into) the FL is a big prestige achievement. Teams like Eastleigh and Forest Green have huge financial backing that others can;t compete with and limiting yourself to local players/management is not going to let you compete with those that are at the top of the league. I would guess the majority of fans on this board are earning the same or more than Lincoln's players.

Maybe different for teams in the south or not far from Manchester/London/Birmingham because the local pool will be much higher however for a team like Lincoln we would have no chance if we only signed players within reasonable commuting distance.

Ronnie Moore was quite a coup for Eastleigh. He was "on paper" the highest status manager in the division so I assume they decided that the trade off was worth it. I assume on his part he thought he would do well for them for a season or 2 and then get an offer from a league club closer to him.

Martin Allen is equally a manager that "on paper" is going to be one of the best in this division. I assume he is much more local as well, but maybe he wasn't available when they decided on Ronnie Moore. I think he will do very well though. Not the prettiest of football styles but proven in the lower divisions of the league.

At that wage level young players will move. They are obviously also looking at the future and aspiring to move upward and therefore assume they will move to clubs paying more and accept the nomadic lifestyle.

Older players and many managers that have accepted they aren't going to get much higher are settled with families aren't going to uproot for £600 a week and clubs at this level will struggle to pay their commute too.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  20. SaintMarv

SaintMarv Well-Known Member

Eastleigh have signed experienced goalkeeper Graham Stack