1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Early Breakfast Debate

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Dec 19, 2016.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have received their respective punishments for displaying Poppies when commemorating armistice day.

England and Scotland players wore armbands featuring the symbol when they met at Wembley on 11 November.

Wales and Northern Ireland's respective games featured displays on the pitch or in the stands to mark the event.

England's Football Association will appeal against the fine of 45,000 Swiss francs (£35,311), with Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland yet to decide.

Scotland and Wales were both fined 20,000 Sfr (£15,694), and Northern Ireland 15,000 Sfr (£11,770).

England and Scotland do exactly the same thing, and Scotland get half the fine.

Thoughts

David Wagner set to leave Huddersfield Town to become new coach of Wolfsburg. Set to be finalised this week.

Have Huddersfield been punching above their weight?

Will this make a difference?

Chris Wood is to resume training this week and return at Preston on Boxing Day.

Did we miss him during the Brentford game?

Saturday's 1-0 home victory was Green's 8th clean sheet in the the league thus far (21 games). For comparison, Silvestri had 8 throughout the 15/16 season.(44 games)

Who is the better keeper?

Chippy / Glory likes this.
  2. Millwallsteve

Millwallsteve Waterloo's Finest
    Forum Moderator

We know that FIFA hate England which is why we've been fined more than the sweaties for the same game, but even by their low standards this is shambolic.

We should tell FIFA to go bollocks that we're not paying as they can hardly ban us from future world cups or euros!! <grr>

3. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

fook FIFA dont pay and threaten to leave the organisation, all 4 countrys which will throw their world cup dream into chaos. This is the most corrupt bunch of coonts and need the European federation to back us up.

I fancied Rowett going to Norwich but if the kraut goes home guess he may go the dogbotherers and yes I think this has come at the wrong time for them so guess may play in our favour.

Greene is the best keeper weve had for years, and stats will back that up. He is a top Championship goalie now which is a bit of a come down from his prem and England days, but he is getting better with games and confidence but will still have a couple more howlers this season. All goalies do so chill

hemase and Millwallsteve like this.
  4. ellandback

Forum Moderator

You could organise a strike Steve <laugh> Evening pal

5. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Evening Doc, Green gets a really hard time from the ER faithful... Haven't heard about anything ass bad as this since Ruchubka....

6. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Off topic, but you have to watch it all the way through.

7. Millwallsteve

Forum Moderator

<laugh>

I'm not Southern Matt!! <whistle>

8. Chippy / Glory

Chippy / Glory Senior Member

Scab

Millwallsteve likes this.
  9. Millwallsteve

Forum Moderator

You can put your stick away Norman..........

10. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

Are you southern Steve??

11. LeedsLover

LeedsLover Well-Known Member

Not a big fan of Greens, he's suspect in his old age, slower making split second decisions, does have butter fingers and will have a few more howlers during this season; I got a funny feeling one of those howlers will come when it's definitely not needed, I think Green will come back to haunt Monk.

One thing in Greens favour is our defence, they make him look a bit better than he really is imo.

I personally don't think Green is better than Silvestri, but Monk brought him to LEEDS and has to justify signing him. I have the same feelings regarding Ayling and Berardi, I rate Berardi better than Ayling. While Ayling is playing well, he's also susceptible to making crucial mistakes, which has been seen on televised games a few times.

While our position in table is admirable, our form is not tearing teams apart and we lack scoring multiple goals during matches, again, our defence is playing a big part in our league position at moment, and we still have half a season to go. You can bet your last quid the other teams will have done their homework on us, it's going to be a very interesting second half of season.

12. LeedsLover

LeedsLover Well-Known Member

Here's my question,

What has remembrance day and wearing poppy's got to do with FIFA?

The poppy is a symbol of remembrance and respect, it also signifies the signing of the Armistice which brought an end to WW1.

When someone in Football, Royalty etc dies, players are allowed to wear black armbands..............what's the effing difference.

They should keep their big fat noses and R's out of our business and concentrate on trying to run a legitimate organisation.

davy and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  13. ellandback

Forum Moderator

He must be Eastern European

14. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all.

Poppy thing with FIFA is a disgrace, they say no place for religion or politics, what about players who run on to the pitch and do the cross, are they going to ban that too. I agree with LL and I do wonder if FIFA even realise what the poppy is all about.

Chris Wood is our leading scorer but it isn't just his goals, he is a big lad that needs watching, mark him at set pieces or double up on him and you get Bartley or Jansson free. We might not have missed him against Brentford but we will win more points and score more goals with him in the team than not.

Green gets a hard time due to his occasional errors being complete howlers, he is the best we have though and I would like us to sign someone better for next season. Green does bring good organisational skills to the table and I'm sure that helps the back four.

davy likes this.
  15. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning ristac, interesting point you made about Wood. Who would you say he was on a par with

16. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Morning all. greens ok but would like to see better as soon as we can afford a better keeper. As there are more pressing signings required we'll have to make do till the summer. As for the poppy thing maybe time to find a better way of displaying it at matches to save future controversies as it's not likely to go away. Btw Eire also got fined but I'm not paying it

17. Chippy / Glory

Chippy / Glory Senior Member

FIFA outlawed white flags and feathers too?

18. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Fined, what for? armchair parked on a double yellow

19. BillysStatue

BillysStatue Well-Known Member

Loverboy, you really are clueless, and your "point" about Ayling is so wide of the mark it's scary ... Wood was badly missed against Brentford because he works the CBs constantly, whereas Duke comes deep and doesn't stay between the goalposts, so taking pressure off the defenders

the poppy thing .. not a week goes by without something on telly about the war .. had the war been lost, I doubt the whole armistice ceremony would even exist .. other countries do not want to keep harking back to the two great wars, and rightly so .. every year there's some form of triumphalism that's totally unnecessary, because the truth is there are never any winners in a conflict .. for other countries the poppy can be seen as an emblem of celebration of conflict, so their view should be respected .. best I heard was a veteran saying that he felt the whole poppy thing shouldn't be so public, and people should be allowed to decide for themeselves if they wanted to wear a poppy or not, and hold their own private ceremonies .. Eng and Scot were wrong for ignoring FIFAs instruction, so tough on the fine .. need to let it go and move on .. you don't see Yank sports teams wearing poppies, and look at their contribution to the great wars

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Some funny Lads here today <laugh> Morning doc and gloria

Doc likes this.