1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The "Discuss Anything Else" Thread

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by OddDog, Jun 23, 2013.

1. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

<laugh> would certainly fit with the fighting Irish theme. "Come out and fight me ya bowsy"

OddDog likes this.
  2. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  3. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yep. I always thought that.

4. SwanHills

5. pompeymeowth

pompeymeowth Prepare for trouble x
    Staff Member

Marseille 2016, all those BNP God save the Queen singing, ****ers got their arses handed to them by the Russians.

My favourite bits 0:45 the guy smartly grabs his pint before withdrawing the scene and 1:25 the guy on the stairs threatening people with what looks like a crutch, gets smacked over the head with a chair and rolls down the steps like Laurel and Hardy's piano.

6. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

You sort of get the feeling the Russians are a bit my ruthless at this stuff. And it'll be a home fixture for them. I can't see the visitors having an away win.

7. Cyclonic

A gentleman posted this comment in The Telegraph. I think he makes a valid point.

Adrian Eliffe 17 Feb 2017 1:58AM

There's a high likelihood that someone will be killed at the 2018 World Cup.

There'll be condemnation from the FA and FIFA.

There will be much discussions (again) as to why Russia was allowed to buy the competition.

Blatter's name will be at the forefront of the discussions.

.............and it will be pointless and too late.

Someone will die.

No-one cares.

8. pompeymeowth

pompeymeowth Prepare for trouble x
    Staff Member

It will only be some EDL mongo so I'm not bothered.

9. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

upload_2017-2-21_17-50-4.png

"Sutton United goalkeeper Wayne Shaw has resigned after his pie-eating stunt tarnished the non-League club’s FA Cup tie with Arsenal.

Shaw is the subject of investigations from the Gambling Commission and Football Association after being filmed eating a pasty on the sidelines during his side’s 2-0 defeat to their Premier League opponents at Gander Green Lane.

Bookmaker Sun Bets, the club’s shirt sponsors for the fifth round tie, had been offering odds of 8-1 that Shaw would be filmed eating during the game.

He subsequently admitted that he had been aware of the offer, though insisted he himself had not placed a bet."

No he wasn't their goalkeeper. He was their goalkeeper coach; but he was on the bench in case the goalie was injured. However, all 3 subs had been made so it was not possible for him to be called on when he started munching his pie.

10. SwanHills

Good grief, QPR have supporters in Vietnam too (with acknowledgements to forum member Kilburn):

Chiến thắng thứ 2 liên tiếp của thầy trò Ollie. Đội khách đã chơi tốt và tạo được nhiều cơ hội nhưng Smithies bằng sự ổn định của mình đã bảo toàn chiến thắng cho đội nhà. #COYRS

which means:

Win second consecutive of difficult teacher Ollie. Team visitors have good games and create a lot of opportunities but Smithies with the stability of I told the victory for team. #Come on you R's!

Quite right! :emoticon-0100-smile

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017

11. Cyclonic

Is there any bigger story in sport right now than "Piegate?" Wayne Shaw has resigned in tears after it was revealed that someone claimed Sun Bets for a five figure some. They'd offered 8-1 about Shaw eating a pie during the game. Did he really say his mates had a bet on him?

He might have lost his job over this, but it isn't the only one on the planet. On the plus side, he can now stand alongside Tricky Dicky on the infamy front. Free piss forever. :)

P.S. And who said that there's no silver lining to the those fluffy things in the air? Not long after losing his job, MEATliquor, the burger chain, has offered our Wayne a position as a boss pie eater. The new burger would be called the Roly Poly Goalie. <laugh>

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    SwanHills and Ron like this.
  12. SwanHills

"Bootcamp for the brain"

"Mnemonists do not have any special gift, they just train like crazy. They learn to activate regions of the brain normally used for spatial and visual data processing while linking abstract content to way stations on an imagined route."

http://www.dw.com/en/bootcamp-for-the-brain/av-37597221

Good Lord! Have to admit always did have trouble putting a name to faces, very embarrassing at times.

13. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

Football is officially bonkers. Listening to radio programme about how some football scouts are looking at 3/4 year olds trying to predict whether they'll be the next superstar - that's around 18 months after they've started to walk FFS. Then announced that Ranieri has got the sack at Leicester. Insane.

14. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

They really should make players contracts and bonuses performance related - if the prima donnas were faced with losing 50% of their salary if relegated it would soon improve their performances. Ranieri is somewhat the victim here - it is the failure of the spoilt brats on the park that has put Leicester where they are right now, but it is too complex, expensive and time consuming to build a new team. With only 13 games left I don't see what other choice the board had.

15. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

They could have shown some loyalty like Ranieri did last summer when he got a few offers from elsewhere. I hope they go down with that fat oaf at Palace.

16. Cyclonic

Film from the New South Wales Department of Primary Industries. They flew drones off the coast of Ballina. I wonder if the surfer at the end of the film knew of the shark?

17. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

On a Saturday morning, I listen to “Sounds of the Sixties” with Brian Matthew on Radio 2 from 8am to 10am. For the last couple of months, Tim Rice has been sitting in as clearly Brian has been in bad health (not being a young man). Today, Brian returned and announced that, after 27 years, it would be his last show. :emoticon-0106-cryin

At 10:55 on Graham Norton’s Radio 2 show, they played a trailer for next week’s schedule. “Sounds of the Sixties” will now be presented by Tony Blackburn – from 6am to 8am – and there will be a new Dermot O’Leary Breakfast show at 8am. <grr>

So clearly Tony Blackburn is not going back to presenting “Pick of the Pops” on a Saturday afternoon, which Paul Gambaccini has been hosting since the Beeb cast Blackburn into the wilderness a year ago.

But why have they moved SOTS two hours earlier? Can Dermot O’Leary not afford an alarm clock for a 6am show? Apparently Anneka Rice’s Breakfast show has ended to free up the 6am slot. I have no time for O’Leary, so now it looks like it will be 6am to 8am, find something to do for two hours then Graham Norton at 10am. Cheers Auntie... :emoticon-0172-mooni

18. Cyclonic

Just a thought QM, could you please name a few bands from the 60s you like, and maybe a few songs as well. :)

19. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

An interesting request, Cyc. That could end up being a very long list. I can tell you my favourite song from the Sixties: “Young Girl” by Gary Puckett and The Union Gap.

It was interesting this morning listening to Brian Matthew’s last show when he played some of his favourites by some of the biggest acts of the Sixties. If I had asked you to guess his favourite songs by the Beatles and Elvis Presley, you probably would not have got either.

When asked to name a favourite song by the Beatles, a few might have picked something from Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band... but how many would have picked “She’s Leaving Home”?

When asked to name a favourite Elvis Presley song, most would surely have named a number one, not a 1969 song that only reached number two on the British chart: “In The Ghetto”.

Brian Matthew signed off, as he did every week, with “Foot Tapper” by The Shadows. I wonder if Tony Blackburn will do it all differently...

Cyclonic likes this.
  20. Cyclonic