1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The "Discuss Anything Else" Thread

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by OddDog, Jun 23, 2013.

1. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

2. bayernkenny

bayernkenny Well-Known Member

Heard an interview with the 'punter' on the wireless very early this morning!

3. floridaspearl

floridaspearl Well-Known Member

In case you were interested, multi world Olympic and European champion dressage champion Valegro was retired at the Olympia international horse show in London last night. He will be remembered as one of the all time equine greats.in my opinion he's up there alongside frankel

4. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

bayernkenny likes this.
  5. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

How's this for an innings? South African, Mpumalanga Under 19 captain Shania - Lee Swart, stole the woman of the match award in a T20 game in Pretoria. The all rounder opened the batting and carried her bat, scoring her unbeaten 160 off just 86 balls. 90% of those runs came in boundaries. No other player scored a run and none lasted longer than 10 balls. Swart put on an amazing 61 run partnership for the last wicket with Nicholate Phire, who faced just 3 balls. 9 extras were scored.

please log in to view this image

6. Cyclonic

Valegro, with Charlotte Dujardin, in one of their finest wins, the 2014 Olympia where they set a World Record in the Freestyle, scoring 94.3%.

7. Cyclonic

We can't forget the rock stars of the sport, Moorlands Totilas and Edward Gal who were the first to clean sweep an EFI World Equestrian Games. In 2010 they won the Team, Individual Special Dressage and the Individual Freestyle Dressage.

8. bayernkenny

That lad Pietersen will do anything for an 'England' recall!

Cyclonic likes this.
  9. bayernkenny

Has anyone seen Shania-Lee Swart and Kevin Pietersen in the same room (apart from Piers Morgan)?

10. Cyclonic

Could be the same ... hard to tell.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016

11. bayernkenny

One is a smug South African; the other is ...................... ????

The 'old' ones are the best!

12. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

You can rely upon a combination of the World Health Organisation and the BBC to come up with some factually misleading information.

I tried this Booze Calculator and I thought that I might as well be honest. So on the Saturday I had been out with a couple of friends, had four beers and then we had two bottles of wine between us at a restaurant, so I put three glasses of wine. On the Sunday I had six beers out with a friend watching the football. On the Tuesday I had three beers with some friends as a one-off after work. So I put 13 beers, 3 glasses of wine.

According to the Booze Calculator, I drink more alcohol than the world’s worst bingers (Belarus), coming in at over 19 litres a year compared to their 17 litres.

Just a small problem with that analysis: in places like Belarus, they probably drink 19 litres of 40% vodka (or other spirits), whereas my 13 beers are more like 0.325 litres in one week. So this is not exactly comparing like with like.

Mine was not a normal week – I scarcely drink wine these days except with meals out; and I never had a Bacardi or two, which I might do once a month. So I put in the numbers for what would be an averaged out normal week (10 beers, 1 spirit) and it still came out as on a par with the third-top country, Lithuania.

Maybe I should move to one of those Baltic states, as they all seem to drink like me, but I think I would struggle to find any real ale and vodka is not really my spirit.

13. SwanHills

Yes, QMII, I was suspicious of the calculator as well. I drink very modestly nowadays, of course, can't hack it anymore! I admit to talking a lot about Tegernseer 'Spezial', but that's bragging, and dreaming of the good old days. I drink no spirits, and rarely a glass of wine either. :emoticon-0101-sadsm

It appears I drink the same amount of alcohol as the average Namibian in one year, and finish on a country level with Venezuela in 51st place, AND my yearly consumption of alcohol is supposed to be higher than the average German drinker which is absolute rubbish, no ****ing way! Interesting, but slightly daft IMHO...............<laugh>

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  14. bayernkenny

Statistics, schmatistics!

Kolsch 3.jpg

15. SwanHills

Have to admit that I've never tried a Kölsch in my life, although I see it is a regular Helles Bier, and not a Pilsener as such? The rare times I was up north I usually had a draft König Pilsener (damn good too). Bottled Pils quite different and not for me. Will make an effort and give your beer a try one day soon.

16. bayernkenny

Strange contradictions 'ooop North'. In Koln you get Kolsh in the slim glasses pictured above. If you then move a few kilometres 'further on up the road' you reach Dusseldorf where the stock draft is an 'Alt' which is a dark beer in a stubby glass. Could not resist the second image which, I would suggest, displays city rivalry better than any football nonsense!

Alt1.jpg Alt2.jpg

Have been known to 'dip' into Pilsener in Koblenz!

17. SwanHills

18. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

I have discovered a fabulous little place here in Berlin run by a qualified "Bier Somnelier"

http://foerstersfeinebiere.de/

They have a helles on draft called Schönramer Hell which is unbelievably tasty it brings tears to your eyes. They also have the King of Weißbiers, Unertl <ok>

Going there after work for a few snecklifters <party>

bayernkenny likes this.
  19. SwanHills

Wow, sounds quite a place, Oddy, maybe BayernKenny will make a 'detour' on the way to Köln? :emoticon-0100-smile

Are you going there for Silvesterabend? If I went, would have to sleep there, would never even try to make it home! :emoticon-0175-drunk

20. bayernkenny

OD; f**k you<cheers><cheers><cheers> I am stuck in Edinburgh on the wagon until 1st January!

Then Chodwigplatz calls .........

G'l C'z 2.jpg <party>