1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Debate Part 2 Ben Woodburn

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by luvgonzo, Aug 9, 2017.

1. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Our youngest ever scorer has had a good pre-season, where is he in regards to the first team now? I'd expect him on the bench for most games this season but is he going to make an impact this season?

please log in to view this image

2. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

I think he has talent but not sure he's ready for being on the bench. I'm sure he will get mins in the cups etc but no way he should be our bench option in the league or CL.

3. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Watching him in pre-season he's improved which makes me think he might be an option from the bench. He's calm and controlled on the ball and has that something special about him.

jenners04 likes this.
  4. LuisDiazgamechanger

Since Gerard's came to make his mark stepping up as a youth player, I hope someone can make his mark this season. Could it be Woodburn?.

5. moreinjuredthanowen

he's not ready.

He's decent. He's the only player of a young age with a bit of vision and guile and I'd like to think he could develop it but the speed of thought and pace of game in the prem is too much for him right now.

League cup player IMO.

he's got some skill for sure but TAA is much more ready than him. I think give him 2 years.

6. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

You're probably right but I think he'll have more of an impact than people think. The goal he scored was superb speed of thought for example 2 experienced defenders left for dead with one clever touch, the side volley against Athletico showed ambition. His composure on the ball is also improving, he's getting more and more confident he can retain the ball under pressure and then use it.

Like I said I may well be getting carried away but there's something about this lad.

jenners04 and organic red like this.
  7. organic red

organic red Well-Known Member

Loved his goal v Bilbao, nice first touch and clinical finish. Plenty more bench time this season.

luvgonzo likes this.
  8. organic red

There is, and Klopp sees it too

9. DirtyFrank

DirtyFrank Well-Known Member

Can do both as season progresses...LC first and if he maintains or improves his pre season level increasing minutes in PL games.

There's protecting and there's packing in cotton wool.

luvgonzo likes this.
  10. organic red

11. BobbyD

BobbyD President

unless you get some big injuries i don't really see him playing. I don't really see him dislodging coutinho (lallana will be back and those two will share it) and i don't think Klopp fancies putting him on the wing. If you go 2 up top where he is best, i think he will either bring sturridge, origi or Solanke in instead.

Cup game player

12. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

He's been playing in midfield in pre-season in the Coutinho role, I can see him coming off the bench often but I think i'm in the minority.

moreinjuredthanowen likes this.
  13. moreinjuredthanowen

did you see the ten minutes before that goal.

The lad was all at sea and couldn't get to the speed of the game at all. they were eating him alive. now bilbao didn't put a whole new team o nthe pitch like we did so that helped them but he was being caught on the ball and making poor passes

he needs time to grow into the game imo. as i aid hes the only one we have with a bit of guile at his age.

Jimmy Squarefoot likes this.
  14. moreinjuredthanowen

you are right but he's not ready for 10 game sin a row. he'd be like sterling when rogers over played him. Give him time imo

15. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

I agree, he needs to be brought on when we are playing well and winning and not to try and win the game for us. Keep the pressue off him.

16. Milk not bear jizz

Milk not bear jizz Grasser-In-Chief

I like Woodburn, although he doesn't have a cool name like Ragnar.

jenners04 likes this.
  17. Jimmy Squarefoot

Woodburn has all the time in the world to make his mark - let's not rush him. He has players like Mane and Salah to learn from which gives me hope.

18. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

It's a fine balance, he needs to play in the PL in order to develop so we have to give him some game time. I don't think it's a great idea to field a team of kids in the League Cup, they need seasoned pros around them. We are better prepared for it this season though.

Jimmy Squarefoot likes this.
  19. Jimmy Squarefoot

That is true - but I don't think he's at the same level as say someone like TAA who is clearly very close to Clyne.

Woodburn is competing against Salah and Mane, plus Lallana and Coutinho who could play in the attacking three if required. The gulf is too large.

DirtyFrank likes this.
  20. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Yeah they are way ahead of him, I'd like us to use him sparingly this season but we must use him and give him those minutes at the highest level so that he develops. There are signs of one hell of a player there.

DirtyFrank and Jimmy Squarefoot like this.