1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Daily Fail

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by St. Luigi Scrosoppi, Feb 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I believe in democracy where everyone has the right to vote....a bit of a step back to deny the vote to some...perhaps we should go back to only letting householders vote. People may not be as articulate as some, but they have their reasons. And that reason may be that they are affected by things rather more than some of the people sneering at them.

2. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

The Sun has never darkened my door.

What worries me is that the Guardian has evolved into Spare Rib, the Times reads more like Cosmopolitan, the Sun has turned into Parade, a men's magazine I used to read when I was fourteen and the Mail has turned into Woman's Own. The only proper Newspaper left is the Telegraph and my mother would turn in her grave is I so much as looked at a headline in that fascist rag. All a sane man is left with is the Southampton not606 threads.

ImpSaint likes this.
  3. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

Especially with all the ammunition ready in regard to how they closed that community down to be able to build that stand.

4. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

I sneer at everyone, rich or poor, educated or ignorant.

ImpSaint likes this.
  5. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

Well it's only taken them 27 years. It's not like the outrage hasn't been there for years.

6. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Better late than never though...

7. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

All people are entitled to vote for whatever reason they come up with for voting that way. It doesn't matter if you don;t like their reason no matter how terrible you think their reason is or why they have that reason.

If only people of the same way of thinking are allowed to vote then it isn't democracy. It is religion. Only those who think like us can join.

Had enough of religion when I was a kid. These days I like to have mu own opinions and choose of my own free will who gets my vote. None of them are perfect and it is a question of weighing up the trade offs as you see them.

Unfortunately we are on a road to major problems here. We have had a decade of non debate, just name calling. Then they started no-platforming. Now the full on censorship is starting. All as a result of the refusal to debate because people think that the subject is not worthy. When will they wake up and stop this reverse fascism which is only enabling the very people they think they are stopping? When will they actually come to a debate and instead of lying to get their opponent to defend themselves debate them fair and square? Not while politicians of Sturgeon's ilk are "highly thought of" because she is a prime example. She will not debate Farage. She lied about UKIP policy, soaked up the applause, Farage had his time taken up defending himself and the result? 4m votes and more votes for Brexit!!

If someone is preaching that the other side just scream "racist" or "bigot" or this year now those 2 are ignored "populist" or "fascist" then those that were listening to that person hear Sturgeon's "racist", "bigot" and Farage is proven correct.

Politicians, campaigners, activists need to stop shouting, screaming, smashing windows, attacking, lying, sneering, name calling and actually debate backed up by TRUE FACTS and not misrepresentations. They exaggerate and misrepresent to make maximum damage but it is counter intuitive because once the exageration or misrepresentation is disclosed it then debunks their whole argument even though some of it was accurate.

That is why we are at this point where Hillary is warbling on about fact checkers and no-one believes her or the fact checkers. They have been misrepresenting and exaggerating for so long that it doesn't matter that they were probably more accurate this time round (they had no need not to be for one) because people just don;t believe their misrepresentations anymore.

I await all newspapers now to be shutdown but I won't save my breath. All right wing press will be eventually lumped in as "fake news." Left wing will be told to reign in their "small" indiscretions and Centrist publications will be held up as the bastion of truth.

Who'd have thought eh. The Huffington Post. An example for all to follow as the bastion of truth.

8. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

We are far too nice to people who are ****ing arseholes. I used to believe in democracy until the Brexit vote. How can anyone feel comfortable when the policy making of a country is driven by racist bullies who want to leave the EU.

9. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

Politics creeping in here...........

10. Libby

Libby 9-0

I'm suprised this thread has been allowed to stay open.

The op clearly belongs in OT or politics imo.

11. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

The people voted into a trade agreement. The people voted out of a trade agreement.
    I suggest we stop moaning and get on with it.

fran-MLs little camera and Beddy like this.
  12. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Yes, well done everyone, for turning a debate about a newspaper into a political wrangle. Inevitable I guess. Take it to the Politics Thread.

Libby likes this.
  13. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Guys I echo chilco's words..... so would suggest we discuss what the original poster suggested or I guess we will have to merge this thread with the politics thread......which in truth is probably where it should have gone in the first place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.