1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Cobblers Vs The Gas Game Thread And Poll

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Gasheadseamge79, Sep 28, 2016.

?

Final Score

Poll closed Sep 30, 2016.
  1. Gas Win

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. Cobblers Win

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Goalless Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Score Draw

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image
    VS

2. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

All build up to the game will appear on this thread it is also the matchday thread:emoticon-0148-yes:

The poll will close on Friday at 4:24 PM:emoticon-0148-yes:

You may change your vote if you like :emoticon-0148-yes:

3. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

I'm going for a score draw 1-1 or 2-2 :emoticon-0148-yes:

4. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

I think we will cobble the cobblers 3-1

5. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

Prepare for another defeat, we'll get muscled out of this one

6. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

3 points here. Northampton are on a very good run. They have lost 1 league game in over the last 30. Last time they came up against us they struggled to beat us and we both teams have improved but I think we are now the better team and the lads will be hurting after the Sheff Utd result. I just hope DC gets it right from the beginning and not needing to rely on subs to bail him out.

bs3 gas likes this.
  7. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

Cobblers Info

Full name: Northampton Town Football Club

Nickname: The Cobblers

Founded: 1897; 119 years ago

Ground: Sixfields Stadium

Pitch Size: 116 x 72 yards

Year Ground Opened: 1994

Address: Northampton, NN5 5QA

Telephone: 01604 683 700

Fax: 01604 751 613

Ticket Office: 01604 683 777

Shirt Sponsors: University Of Northampton

Kit Manufacturer: Nike

Home Kit: Claret and White

Away Kit: White and Black

Third Kit: Yellow and Black

Manager: Rob Page

2015–16 Season: League Two, 1st (promoted)

Official Website: http://www.ntfc.co.uk/

Forum: http://www.thehotelend.co.uk/

8. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

Record @Northampton

PLD 46 W 9 D 13 L 24 GF 45 GA 90

Last Meeting

Saturday 9th April - Cobblers 2 - 2 Gas

9. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

By Gerry Prewett

Last season Northampton Town were runaway Champions of Division Two and Rovers were delighted to follow on their coattails with a late push for an automatic promotion spot.

The incredible run included a fine 2-2 draw at Sixfields. Remarkably Rovers had opened the season with a home defeat by the East Midlands team and to rub salt into Rovers’ wounds it was John-Joe O’Toole who headed the Cobblers winning goal.

Having secured promotion Boss Chris Wilder headed to pastures new, our most recent opposition, Sheffield United.

There was much the same apprehension in Northampton as there was at Rovers when many thought Darrelll Clarke might be off to United’s rivals Leeds. With Rob Page taking over expectations were not high but Page has flourished at Sixfields and his team are flying.

On Tuesday night as Rovers were going down to a narrow 1-0 loss at Bramwell Lane, the Cobblers secured their first away win of the season with a comfortable 3-1 victory at the County Ground.

Northampton went in front after just seven minutes when Paul Anderson weaved his way into the box before his low cross found Harry Beautyman, who slid in from close range.

Swindon almost levelled the scores in the 29th minute after four quick-fire attempts but Adam Smith made an excellent double save before his defenders blocked the following two.

John Obika had a chance to equalise for the home side on the stroke of halftime but fired his shot over the bar from close range. The Robin’s substitute Sean Murray equalised on 66 minutes as his long range effort found the back of the net.

The lead was only to last ten minutes as John-Joe O'Toole headed in from a Matt Taylor corner, for his second goal in two games. Six minutes later Kenji Gorre made the game safe after an Alex Revell dummy left the substitute with a simple finish.

Gorre explained after the game how his goal came about. Revell, with six goals already this season, would have been perfectly entitled to take the shot on himself, but instead heard the calls of substitute Gorre, "I screamed at him: 'Over! Over!' Then luckily he let it go and I managed to put it away. I was shouting as hard as I could. It was the first thing that came into my head, so I'm really thankful to him. I just thought I'd get the shot underneath the 'keeper and happily it worked."

"I think I'm just getting used to League football, it's my first time in it, so I'm really pleased that the lads are pleased for me as well. I'm just glad to get on the score sheet and, more importantly, get the three points. It meant a lot to me to score my first goal and I just wanted to share it with the fans."

As members of the old Third Division (South) Rovers have a long tradition of games against the Cobblers. The first meeting between the clubs took place in the Southern League in 1907/08 season Rovers ran out 1-0 winners at the County Ground on 11 January 1908.

The first League games took place in one week in 1921. The first game saw Rovers win 2-1 at the County Ground on 12 March with goals by Sid Leigh and Billy Palmer and Bill Thomas scoring for the home team.

On 19 March Rovers doubled the dose with a 4-2 home win, Harry Boxley, Billy Palmer and a double by Ellis Crompton for the Pirates with George Whitworth and a John Bethune own goal for the Cobblers. In the first four post-World War II meetings between the teams the away team won the lot!

The 1989/90 Championship season probably summed up the difference between a winning and losing team. In the game at Twerton Park on 29th October 1989, Bobby Brown was running the Rovers defence ragged and the undefeated home record looked in danger. Goals by Devon White and Paul Nixon had the game tied at 2-2.

Late in the game Devon White was controversially brought down in the box and Ian Holloway converted the penalty to give the Gas an unlikely lead. Then with the seconds ticking away an unlucky Trevor Quow guided a clearance into his own net to give the final score of 4-2. It was all 6 points to Rovers largely due to their 'never say die' spirit, after another Ian Holloway penalty secured a 2-1 win at the County Ground.

The previous time Rovers had 'done the double' over the Cobblers was back in 1967/68 season. Two goals in the home game by Stuart Taylor secured the points at Eastville. However it was the game at the County Ground that had been so remarkable.

Rovers’ away record was nothing to shout about, of their first 7 away games they had won 1 drawn 2 and lost 4, the Cobblers had won 5 of their previous 6 games. Converted Left Half Ray Mabbutt had a field day in the County Ground mud.

Frank Large gave the home team an early lead but Rovers were quickly level when a Johnny Williams pile driver was parried by Harvey straight to Mabbutt, who stabbed the ball home. Soon after Large was brought down in the box and Mackin scored from the spot past Ronnie Briggs. It fell to Bobby Jones scoring against his old club to restore Rovers to parity.

A 30-yard shot from Johnny Williams gave Rovers a 3-2 lead but that man Large made sure things were all square by half time. It was some while into the second-half before the goals started to roll in again, Mabbutt accepting a simple tap in past Bryan Harvey before Large scored the Cobblers fourth goal and completed his hat trick. Not to be outdone Mabbutt scored once more to complete the only hat trick of his career and to give Rovers an incredible 5-4 away win

In the 1997/98 Play-Off Semi-Finals, having secured a 3-1 home win many Rovers fans were already booking tickets for Wembley. However the Cobblers thought (quite rightly, as it turned out) that their away goal, scored late in the game, would be crucial.

Peter Beadle (penalty), Frankie Bennett and Barry Hayles scored for Rovers and John Gayle scored the late Cobblers goal. So it turned out, the 3-0 reverse at Sixfields was stunning. Carl Heggs, Ian Clarkson and Ray Warburton ensured that it was the Midlands team who went through.

Rovers have happier memories from their most recent trip to Sixfields. They started confidently and Tom Lockyer headed over from a corner. In a frantic opening John Marquis fired over for Cobblers. The home team broke the deadlock in the 23rd minute when Ricky Holmes crossed for Nicky Adams to head past Steve Mildenhall.

Rovers responded with Billy Bodin firing wide and blazing over in quick succession while Ollie Clark was also off target. In between Holmes went close to doubling Northampton's lead when his free-kick hit the underside of the bar.

But Cobblers took just four minutes after the restart to increase their advantage when Sam Hoskins turned in a low cross from Marquis.

Hoskins went close moments later as Northampton looked to finish it off. Mildenhall kept out another effort from Hoskins and then did well to palm away a fierce drive from Adams with John-Joe O'Toole heading wide from the ensuing corner.

Rovers reduced the arrears in the 76th minute when Matty Taylor turned in a low cross from Daniel Leadbitter. Then to the delight of everyone from Bristol the equaliser arrived in the 88th minute when Lee Brown's low cross was turned in by Substitute Ellis Harrison.

That win on Tuesday too the East Midlands team up to fourth in the table. Rob Page's side have adapted superbly to playing at a higher level so far, but Harry Beautyman, knows the players have to keep their feet on the ground.

He said: "We've got a lot of belief in that changing room at the moment, but at the same time we're not getting carried away. We're not looking too far ahead, we're taking it one game at a time at the moment and what we're doing now is moving our focus to Bristol Rovers at the weekend.

"We're at home, it's important that we try and get another win and top off a perfect week for us, so we're not getting carried away at the moment. We know we're doing really well, but the gaffer is keeping us on our toes."

10. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I hope O'Toole dont score this time <ok>

11. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

12. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

13. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

14. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

15. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Colkett and Roberts make their 1st start for the club!

Colkett replaces Boateng who doesnt even make the bench.
    Roberts replaces Leadbitter who also doesnt make the bench.
    Gaffney replaces the suspended Easter.
    Hartley replaces Clarke-Salter at the back.
    Sinclair returns from suspenion and replaces J.Clarke

5 changes to starting 11 and formation change from 352 to 442.

Taylor returns but only fit enough for the bench.

16. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

17. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

18. EGLL Gas

EGLL Gas Well-Known Member

DC's fixation with playing Sinclair is starting to worry me, I'd play Bodin on the left & Colkett just behind the front 2, saying that he'll probably play a blinder today & score the winner !!!

19. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

20. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

The formation above for Rovers is wrong. DC just confirmed that Colkett is playing behind the front 2 in the attacking midfield role. He said Northampton have been scoring goals from midfield so he wants to pack the middle so formation is 4312.

Not sure where Boateng is as he did well at Sheff Utd. He tweeted this morning that he was excited about the game today, implying that he would be involved. I can see why Leadbitter is being rested as he has been involved a lot recently and at United on Tuesday we played for 30 mins with 10 men and Leadbitter had a lot of defending to do as well as getting forward to try and get a draw. A rest today is a good decision for me. Lets see what Roberts can do.