1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

THE CLEAROUT HAS BEGUN !

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by KIO, May 2, 2017.

1. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

http://www.canaries.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/norwich-city-contracts-3701983.aspx

CITY can confirm seven first-team squad members will leave the Club when their contracts expire on June 30 – and the Club has exercised options to retain the services of two players for a further year.

The players who will be free agents as of June 30 are John Ruddy, Sebastien Bassong, Steven Whittaker, Ryan Bennett, Youssouf Mulumbu, Michael Turner and Kyle Lafferty.

The Club has exercised options to extend the contracts of left-back Harry Toffolo and goalkeeper Declan Rudd for a further year.

Sporting Director Stuart Webber commented: "We’d like to place on record our sincere thanks to all of the players who are moving on for their contribution to the Club and wish them all the very best in the next chapter in their careers.

"We’re also pleased to have Harry Toffolo and Declan Rudd back with us when the season ends after successful loan spells at Scunthorpe United and Charlton Athletic respectively."

England international Ruddy joined City from Everton in 2010 and went on to play a key role in City’s promotion to the Premier League under Paul Lambert that season.

A string of fine performances from Ruddy helped City to finish 12th in the top flight in 2011-12 and he earned international recognition when he was capped by his country in a friendly against Italy in August 2012.

He suffered a thigh injury that disrupted his 2012-13 season but Ruddy quickly re-established himself as the team's number one, playing every league match in the 2014-15 campaign as City won promotion back to the top flight via the play-offs.

In total, the 30-year-old has made 242 appearances for the Canaries in all competitions.

Bassong, 30, completed a £4m switch from Tottenham Hotspur in 2012 and made an immediate impact at Carrow Road, winning the Barry Butler Memorial Trophy for 2012-13 as the Canaries finished 11th in the Premier League.

He returned from a loan spell at Watford midway through the 2014-15 season to play a key role in City's promotion under Alex Neil, featuring in the defence that kept a cleansheet against Middlesbrough at Wembley.

The Cameroon international has played 13 times this season, taking his tally to 135 for the Club, scoring five goals.

Whittaker, 32, arrived at Carrow Road in June 2012, making his Canaries bow in a League Cup tie against Tottenham Hotspur that October, the first of 14 appearances in his debut campaign.

He made the right-back berth his own during the promotion-winning year of 2014-15, assisting Nathan Redmond for City's second goal in the play-off final.

The former Hibernian and Rangers full-back signed a new one-year deal last summer and has played 17 matches this season, with his overall appearance total currently at 106.

Centre-back Bennett, 27, joined from Peterborough United in January 2012, playing eight times towards the end of his debut campaign as Lambert's team comfortably retained their Premier League status.

Injuries have hampered his efforts to hold down a regular first-team spot during his time at Carrow Road, though he has accumulated 119 games for City, including 37 this season.

Mulumbu, 30, moved to City at the expiration of his contract with West Bromwich Albion in the summer of 2015 but injury restricted him to only nine appearances in all competitions last season.

He has played 16 further matches this term, most recently appearing in the Canaries' 5-1 victory over Nottingham Forest in February.

Turner, 33, agreed a deal with the Canaries in July 2012, moving from Sunderland for an undisclosed fee.

He featured consistently in the Premier League over the following two seasons but more recently has found himself out of contention, spending time on loan at Fulham and Sheffield Wednesday. He has made 75 appearances for the Club, scoring four times.

Lafferty, 29, has made 39 appearances since joining from Palermo in 2014, netting four times with his most recent strike coming against Leeds United last November.

Everybody at Carrow Road and Colney would like to thank the players leaving for their time at Norwich City.

DHCanary and DUNCAN DONUTS like this.
  2. K E M P

K E M P Well-Known Member

There is no one on that list that I am sad to see go.

We must be after another GK though, McGovern as first choice scares me.

3. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

None of those names come as much of a surprise, to be fair.
    We'd better be on the prowl for some decent defenders, though if McGovern is to be first choice keeper <yikes>

4. oldcanariesfan

oldcanariesfan Well-Known Member

Good time to be a taxi driver in the fair city eh ?

KIO and Walsh.i.am like this.
  5. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Indeed - but if Whittaker goes to Hibs and Lafferty to Rangers, you'd only get one fare.
    (Albeit a substantial one!! <ok>)

6. bedfordcanary

bedfordcanary Well-Known Member

Just wonder who we are going to get in now. Have we the funds to get decent replacements?!

We need:

1 x GK
    3 x CB
    1 x LB
    2 x CM (imo)
    1 x ST

If we are to get decent players, the likelihood is that we will need to spend the best part of £30m!

JM Fan likes this.
  7. royalbarclayfan

royalbarclayfan Well-Known Member

I´m hoping that Rudd will be, with McGovern as back up, although if as speculated, Michael O´Neill.................. <whistle>

SuffolkCanary likes this.
  8. royalbarclayfan

Absolutely the right folk to start to get rid off, with hopefully a few more to follow <ok>

JM Fan likes this.
  9. goldeneadie

goldeneadie Well-Known Member

Rudds year option has been taken up. I would guess he is likely to be No1.

JM Fan likes this.
  10. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

JM Fan likes this.

11. theyellowfever

theyellowfever Active Member

Cant argue with any in that list, my only thought was Lafferty out of all them players has been a proven goal scorer in other sides but never given a chance with us, not sad to see him go but would be my only question mark on whether he could still be of use here to the next manager with new ideas. Knowing Delia and Co we wont be replacing all as cut backs are on there way for an extended stay in the championship, thats just my impression at the mo..

JM Fan likes this.
  12. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

It's certainly a promising start and it looks as though Martin and an Hoolahan have been spared - for now!!!!
    He certainly doesn't instil confidence and it's going to be interesting to see if Rudd does become our new No 1.

13. carrow_luke

carrow_luke Member

Surely that's got to free-up at least £200K per week in wages? get rid of Naismith and you can add a further £60K plus to that figure.

14. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

The only player I'm disappointed to see going is Ruddy, although if he was to stay it would have had to be on much reduced wages. Wouldn't be surprised if Ruddy's performances improved leaps and bounds once he finds a new club.

JM Fan likes this.
  15. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

16. Puncturedtractortyre

Puncturedtractortyre Well-Known Member

Bennett is the only one there I think we should have hung onto

toastehmonstah likes this.
  17. JediCanary

JediCanary Well-Known Member

Glad to see the back of players such as Bassong & Whittaker who were probably responsible for the majority of the goals we've conceded in the past through their lack of concentration & silly mistakes on the pitch. The remaining players that are still at the club once the clear-out is complete will now have to up their game, as hopefully the players coming in to replace the likes of Bassong, Whittaker, Turner, Lafferty & co. will be of a higher standard and will be able to give the players currently in possession of a 1st team shirt some serious competition.

18. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

That's what p*sses me off the most. Lose Ruddy on a free (we could have easily sold him for a couple of Mil at least!) But we are keeping McGovern and Jones!?!?..............FFS......

JM Fan likes this.
  19. royalbarclayfan

He´d have been first on my list, horribly injury-prone and vastly overrated, he can join up with Lambert again, he after all, was the one who spotted him :grin:

DHCanary, carrowcanario and JM Fan like this.
  20. royalbarclayfan

Now all we need to do, is offload Jarvis, Naismith and Tettey and we´ll be getting somewhere, although it´s always a damned sight easier offloading than onloading, which will really show what the venerable Webber is made of.

carrowcanario likes this.