1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The changes so far.

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by grumpygit, Jul 2, 2017.

1. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

The defence has been largely revamped, it is yet to be seen whether this improves on last season, though with the worst defensive record in the league it won't be hard.
    The forward line has seen Cody and Donnelly leave, again the replacement's on paper don't look like match winners but time will tell.
    The midfield is where the problems could come from, losing Dack was always on the cards and in itself won't make a large difference, with a lot of our problems last season coming from a slow midfield that offered little support for the strikers, and scant help in defensive cover have we neglected this vital area.

2. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

I'm not expecting 'much' ( it is Gills about which we write ! ).
    I'd like to think that, if Garmston can stay fit, he might be able to operate as a 'wingback.' His pace should be able to help to move the ball forward quicker than we managed last season. I'd like to think that with Morris joining the existing midfield - players like Wagstaff and Wright can offer the defensive support for the backline, and with Martin, we do have players that should be able to create enough to ensure that we do not get into a relegation battle . With height in the forward line, I'd like to see tactics that involve giving List a decent amount of game time - to either provide crosses or feed off any headers we may win. I do have some reservation as to the quality of the 'strikers' - but like I said - it is Gills - so don't expect miracles ---- hopefully a bit of passion to keep me and brb happy.

3. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Have a better idea once we have played 4 or 5 friendlies hopefully a couple of youth players impress and given chance

4. AshfordGill

AshfordGill Active Member

I am not expecting miracles but the defensive signings look as though they should make us stronger in that area. With Morris also back to offer a shield in front of them we may be harder to score against (thats not asking much though). But it may mean that we might be able to win matches without having to score than once something we managed rarely (once ?) last season. I hope that the players Jell quickly and that we have a decent pre-season, but we won't really know until the real business starts in August, we have had brilliant form in pre -season and been awful once the real matches start and terrible in friendlies but brilliant once the season started so lets use the friendlies to get fit, get partnerships working and get Pennocks tactics implemented - good results would be nice but are not vital at this stage.

5. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

and last season we were awful in both

The Changing Man likes this.
  6. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Well - at Faversham last night, Oldaker and Mbo were unused subs.
    From what little I've seen of Oldaker, he seems to have some 'flair' ( Bradley Dack anyone ? ). I can't comment about Mbo - except that he was 'available' last season - you know - when Donnelly was sooOO good and managed to get picked to play !!

It looks like that AP and the management team are addressing the problem areas of last season ( within our budget ), - but one of those problem areas was AP's poor decision making as regards to substitutions - in their choice and timings.

If it starts to go wrong again this coming season, I'd like to think that hungry young players like Cundle, Oldaker and Mbo are at least given a chance - rather than to stick with players and tactics that continually failed.

7. brb

brb CR250

I think another thing we need to dispense with his favourites, get's my back up every time where the team sheet reflects fans favourites, be bold, be daring and ignore the Chairman :)

Bring back Mad Dog.