1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The SIR Kenny Dalglish Public House

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Sir_Red, Jan 28, 2011.

1. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

I also like dark beers but they possibly give me gout so I stopped drinking them.

2. Zingy

Zingy #ziggywould

Maybe you need to stop drinking beer?

3. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

If I drink decent beers then no problem, I drink Estrella and Mahou mainly and no problems.

4. saintKlopp

Ouch. I had problems with gout a few years back - extremely painful.
    I drink a lot less beer these days than I did about five years ago - certain foods can cause gout as well, but I suppose you already know this?
    Also there's a genetic component so some are more likely to suffer from it than others.

5. saintKlopp

I liked Estrella in Barcelona. I had some in that London last year - it was ok, but didn't seem quite the same. That could just be subjective, though - I've enjoyed Ouzo in Greece but I'd only use it for cleaning metal at home.

luvgonzo likes this.
  6. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

At the moment I've cracked it, removed all the gout foods that affect me (different with each person) and I drink a litre of water a day. It's taken me 5 years to get to this point but no gout for 8 months now.

Milk not bear jizz likes this.
  7. Milk not bear jizz

Milk not bear jizz Grasser-In-Chief

They used to think it was more based on food and alcohol but nowadays it is believed much more on genetics than what you eat or drink.

I've always had naturally high levels. Went almost completely vegetarian for three months, didn't touch alcohol, marmite, or anything yeasty.

Uric acid level didn't budge. I still won't touch shellfish or marmite (worst thing for gout) and almost never have beef but I've gone back to meat eating. I also don't drink much alcohol (although I can't because of meds anyway).

My last gout attack last summer was so bad I couldn't wear socks for a few days. I couldn't have a sheet over my foot because the weight of the sheet was unbearable. Even a ceiling fan blowing air around in the room caused me pain. It was a nasty attack and scared me to try giving up meat.

I eat a lot cherries. 10 cherries a day cut your gout chances by 50%.

8. saintKlopp

<ok>

9. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Definitely food related for some people.

My grandad suffered from gout pretty severely last year that he was bed ridden for a month and was in hospital for a few weeks. He's now on a very strict diet and hasn't had any real issues with gout in the past year (one attack but i think its because he was sneaking some sea food).

10. Milk not bear jizz

I've been drinking nettle tea too. No idea if it helps or not or just old wives tales...

Nettle supposedly doesn't remove uric acid from blood but prevents it settling in joints.

11. saintKlopp

It is excruciatingly painful. People tend be unsympathetic because it used to be thought of as a by-product of excessive high living. I can promise that this is definitely not the case with me. :)

12. Milk not bear jizz

Well, it's food related for everyone in that if you don't consume purines you won't get gout (although purines is in everything). Some people are just genetically predisposed to it and it's almost impossible to avoid without medications.

13. BobbyD

BobbyD President

<ok>. Not being pedantic it was just the previous post i had it as all to do with genetics and not to do with diet.

Happy that some people are affected by it more than others even if they have strict diets. Sounds like you and Saint suffer from this

14. Milk not bear jizz

Not with me either. Most of the usual trigger foods for most people are things I rarely had anyway.

I've suspected peanuts as being a trigger for me, every gout attack last summer came after eating peanuts. Everything I've read though list peanuts as safe gout food. Legumes used to be suspected of causing gout due to high purines count but doctors now say plant based purines don't cause gout.

15. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

And this is where gout is a problem, when I first had gout I read the cherries thing and gave it a go and had the worst gout attack ever. I now know one of MY main triggers is fruit. It's very hard to pin it down, there are some common ones but it doesn't fit everyone and for me it's certainly food not genetics as I'm now gout free.

My main triggers are Fruit, Asparagus, Brocolli, Tuna, dark beers, soft drinks, cider.

I can go nuts with beer and wine and no gout but doctors will tell me it's alcohol based, they are wrong.

It was the water thing that finally cracked it as there a big link to dehydration and I didn't drink that much water, the combination of me removing certain foods and adding more water has sorted me out.

16. BobbyD

BobbyD President

My gramps was eating loads of meaty soups which was the main thing i think. Then he was eating these "anti gout" meds daily which the doctor said should only be for emergencies for bad gout pains. This has in turn reduced his liver functions (all found out last year in the hospital). Since then he's only been allowed certain foods (1 egg a day, some veg but it's always the same 2 as other veg he's been banned, and a little bit of meat). Nuts have been banned. Not sure whether thats cause of his liver, gout or diabetes but there was a list of foods he wasn't allowed

17. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Are you sure that's not just an excuse not to have any fruit and veg <laugh>

18. saintKlopp

luv's pretending he's still a teenager.

luvgonzo and BobbyD like this.
  19. FedLadSonOfAnfield

****ing bunch of grumpy old gits, it's like an over-60s centre in here you old old bastards

Milk not bear jizz and Zingy like this.
  20. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Yeah I wish. The reason I found out about the fruit and veg thing was because I went on a health kick to try and stop my gout and ending up not being able to walk for a week. <laugh>