1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Cardiff Summer Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Goodbyen0t606, May 8, 2012.

1. Goodbyen0t606

Goodbyen0t606 Active Member

A place for views, thoughts, and discussion, on potential Cardiff transfers this window.

2. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Going: -

Heaton (don't want him to go but he needs regular first team games), Quinn, Naylor, Keinan, Gerrard (same as Heaton), Taiwo, Parkin, Earnie, Meades, Wildig, Evans.

I have doubts over McPhail playing another season but could stay in a coaching role or even as a player coach for another year.

Whitts could go for the right price although after his last 2 games that will be deflated or he will not be so much in demand.

As long as he is sensible regarding wages I would like Lawrence to stay. He knows this league and was one of our better players in the last few games. But if he is greedy then no thanks.

To replace the first 11 named we will want more quality and strength to lift the squad to a higher level and enable Malky to rotate thus resting key players. As we know to our cost this was not possible this season.

Lastly, as many have said, 2 speedy wingers and 2 new strikers (1 proven scorer and one to win air ball and pressurise defenders like Cole did to us) must be top of the shopping list

3. Goodbyen0t606

Man Blue, that is a lot of activity!!

4. BluefromBridgend

True Siam but he's got 10 weeks or so to do it. Summer holidays banned for Malky!!!! Realistically, how many of those would you want to keep other than Whitts, Heaton and Gezza?

If we want to progress then he has to move on those who won't get better or add value, hence my list (Heaton and Gezza excepted).

Now is the best time to get started, giving those going an early chance to find new clubs and to get on the tracks of those he wants. Other clubs are at it already and if he doesn't start early we may lose some good signings.

As for incoing I've seen us linked with Simon Cox at WBA (some Prem clubs linked as well so he is unlikely for us) and, I think, a Scottish striker who has done well this season - can't remember his name. I wonder what Huddersfield would want for Jordan Rhodes if they don't win the play offs?

No other rumours heard at present.

5. Goodbyen0t606

How much do you think we need to spend to achieve this Blue? I guess many would be frees, but it looks like about 4-5 million there.

6. BluefromBridgend

The clear out will free up a lot of wages, can't see us getting money for other than Whitts though, assuming Heaton and Gezza are out of contract anyway. It will be interesting to know who else from the list is out of contract. I guess Taiwo is and Naylor. Keinan might be in contract to Jan 2013. I thought Parkin was on an 18 month deal (and all thepies he could eat) but he could have another 6/8 months also.

I know Wildig is out of contract as he has stated as much. Evans and Meades I don't know but has anyone ever seen him play?

Earnie probably has another year but clearly isn't wanted by Malky and is rumoured to be off to USA - good luck to him.

Due to the Fiancial Fair Play rules both Prem and Championship clubs will be trimming squads so there will be plenty out there looking for new homes. Many will not add to us but there will be some gems so that's why Malky needs to get in early. He has publicly said he wants new signings to improve on what we have so no time like now to get stuck in.

How much cash for fees the owners will release who knows but he spent sod all in the last window when there were funds available for the right players so i can only assume those monies are still there (£3m for Sordell) and if they dig deeper possibly another couple of mil?

7. DerekTheMole

DerekTheMole Well-Known Member

Are there any decent players we could pinch off the relegated clubs? Portsmouth have a couple of decent players but apparently their bigger names are on huge wages. I wonder if some would take a pay cut to be playing higher than League 1?

Not had a chance to see any of the relegated teams play all season. Any stand-out individuals there?

8. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

Given that most of the 11 listed saw very little game time, you're only looking at replacing 5-6 to put us in a better position than we are now as the others didn't really feature anyway.

Heaton, Quinn, Naylor, Keinan, Gerrard,Taiwo, Parkin, Earnie, Meades, Wildig, Evans - out of this lot, only Heaton, Gerrard, Earnie and Wildig saw much action.

We've already got Parish for Heaton (or so it seems) and Harris who will get game time next season.

Saturday saw:

Marshall, Kev, Hudson, Turner and Talylor at the back. Add Gerrard, Darcy and Parish and we're looking for a left back and a centreback.

McPhail, Whitts, Lawrence and Gunnar in the middle. Assuming lawrence goes back (I'd happily keep him now he's on the right, provided his wages are reasonable) Add Kiss, Harris, Cowie, Conway, Ralls and we're looking for two wide men (3 if you exclude Lawrence which we should as he isn't ours, and breaking harris in gently) and a midfield enforcer. We probably need the extra bodies in midfield to allow us the option of 451 over 442.

Up front, Miller and Mason - assuming Earnie goes and Rudy stays, we're after a target / hold up player

That's 7 players of equal or better ability to our starting 11.

Mcpahil will be a bit player next season (though an important one) and we'll hopefully find another potential star in the Accademy. That gives us 2 senior players for each position together with a couple youngsters.

It's a tall order, but now we know where we'll be playing football next season, I expect MM to be making 'phone calls already.

All of this assumes we can release those we don't want which isn't a given.

9. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

If players have been in a team relegated from the Championship we'd be looking for the shining light from a struggling team. Don't expect too many of those. We need to be looking at ability of top end championship / mid to lower end premiership players to strengthen. I know some players are better with better players around them or suit one formation over another but they'll be the exceptions. As for relegated premiership teams, a similar thought applies, though there is more chance of better quality. The stumbling block will be wages. Even bottom end premiership players will be earning more than we pay. They are likely to come cheap enough as the clubs will want the wages off the books. The running costs are high though.

MMs got a tough couple months ahead, though no tougher than last summer.

10. Crackerjack

Crackerjack Active Member

Hope you don't mind Siam but Malky woke up after yesterday & he's already targeting players . He wants to add a bit of experience & is looking to bring in left back Paul Robinson ,33, from Bolton on the free . Lots of teams making inquires for him apparently .

11. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Blimey Breezey - I didn't know you were that close. What does he look like first thing in the morning before he's had a shave?...............<laugh>

12. Crackerjack

Crackerjack Active Member

Nice guy Sparky but he hogs the covers !

13. Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis Member

Saw an interesting item on the lad Rhodes at Huddersfield - he's been called the best striker outside the Prem, apparently - and with 38 goals so far this season, who can blame them. Could it be a step up too far, or a bargain worth taking a punt on? Thoughts...

14. Goodbyen0t606

Apparently seven PL clubs have scouted Rhodes. Everton are very keen.

15. Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis Member

Bugger!

16. Goodbyen0t606

It is hardwork to find anybody they has not been looked at by somebody above us. This is why we end up with Scottish players ;)

17. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

6-7 new and quality players needed at least. Blend of experience and youth. Pace and creativity in midfield and up front coupled with a strong defence are the keys in this division.

I'd like Heaton to stay if poss.

Taxi for a lot of fringe players.

Need more competition for places.

Need a better defensive full back.

Need more pace at centre half.

Need a quick and experienced winger to supplement Harris.

Need a midfield general.

Need pace, creativity and more grit in central midfield.

Need without doubt 2 new strikers. One in the Holt & Lambert mould plus an out and out striker. Miller to be the bench warmer instead of Earnshaw.

Malky - now is the time to start looking; don't leave it too late.

18. Goodbyen0t606

I think Malky just ripped up his players to buy list, and has now started on his players to sell list.

19. Goodbyen0t606

Some rumours:

Jay Rodriquez had apparently agreed terms and was going to cost over £5m. Put on hold as of today.

There have been bids made for Whitts and Turner. Club is again waiting to speak with the owners on the weekend before accepting or rejecting bids.

20. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

Norwich City will almost certainly be off loading a few players over the summer, all the most likely candidates all performed exceptionally well in the Championship and they are not likely to cost a fortune to get either.

You could do worse than looking at some of those guys as options to get in <ok>